Advent PC - Windows 7

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3454 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not sure if I should post this under Currys but I think it's more a Windows query:

I bought an Advent PC with Windows 7 installed December 2012. For the last week a message "This copy of Windows 7 is not genuine" has been displayed. I clicked a link which was titled "Windows Validation" and, after a week I finally received a "Thank you for evaluating Windows 7.. .. link to pay £109". Has anyone experienced this or is anyone able to shed any light?

Cheers

T

sounds like poss malware/virus. do you have antivirus installed? do a full scan.

also, download 'malwarebytes' free and do a full scan

Is there a recovery partition on the hard drive you can take it back to how it left the factory or do you have recovery discs ?

If so, save all the stuff you want onto mem sticks or ext hdd and do a recovery.

Beta aren't usually able to run for two years so as said above, I think you might have something in there. Have you been asked for money to make it genuine ?

I am running Avira at the moment (may be not for much longer). I tried System Restore but it won't go back further than a week - perhaps it has been manipulated by the malware. If it comes to the worse I will try some restore DVDs which I made after buying the PC.

Yes - they have asked for £109.

Yes I am aware of the difference between Recovery and Restore. I hoped that Restore would be sufficient - just a couple of weeks would've been OK but the option does not exist. I might have to fall back on the Recovery disc which I made as that is the only Recovery option available with this system on my PC.

I assume it's a pop up window. Next time it appears leave it open, and open task manager. Look at the list of running programs, and find the one that has caused the prompt. Then right click, and press goto process. This'll tell you what has caused the action. Once you have that info, post back here with the process name.

If you want to see if your version of windows is activated, open up system by pressing the windows key on the keyboard, and the pause break key. It should say if its activated etc on that screen.

Hi

Now the scan you have done did you do these in Safe Mode at all?

If not you really need to run the scans in Safe Mode with Networking.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

did you do the windows + pause break key, see if showing as activated there in the control panel.

also, what is the o/s build number (that can show whether is a beta/eval or a full release version).

re #1, did you 'receive' an email, from..?

if its 76xx, then seems shld be a proper version

you cld try phoning microsoft, see what they say.

if it was a duff one sold by currys, and not malware, then yes back to them for a proper version

what model advent is it

most advent laptops have an slp or dmi loaded which activates windows for you that may have corrupted

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: