• Tweets

• Our price is the same all day, but varies day to day. Yes there's a risk of high prices but it has never gone above SVR any time since I signed up. Last 30 days average 17.67p/kWh, max 20.67 and lowest was 11.83.  It saved just under £300 during 2023.  
    • It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

DCA Threatening business after franchise ended- NOW SD served

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

An acquaintance has today been contacted by a DCA and I found their approach unprofessional / bordering on harassment.

My acquaintance was severely upset by their behaviour and attitude.

I would appreciate your advice on the general situation (though not necessarily the rightness or wrongness of either party's claims).

Is there anything my acquaintance should be doing at this point or should they be awaiting further contact?

I am not a lawyer.

Context:

This acquaintance is a director of a limited liability company (A).

That limited liability company paid for services from a third-party (the supposed creditor - B) and in turn had an exclusive franchise for a specific region. The understanding was that the franchise was perpetual and of a similar form to all other franchises provided by B. All contracts / agreements were oral though there is c10 years of historic precedent supporting the existence and nature of those arrangements.

Approximately 2 years ago B decided to disenfranchise A and enfranchise a new third party (as it was financially beneficial for B to do so) thereby ending A's sole revenue stream. At that time, an agreement was reached with B that an alternative franchise would be provided though that never materialised. A may have owed B a low five figure sum for services rendered before the termination of the franchise. Following negotiations, as no new franchise was provided, it was understood by A that any sums owed to B were to be cancelled. None of those discussions, or details of sums owed are documented. B did not subsequently send requests for payment.

Currently, A has negligible assets and six figure liabilities (including a significant debt to my acquaintance). Any sums owed by A to B were unsecured.

Both B and my acquaintance have not been in contact for over 18 months and no requests for payment have been received in that time.

Today, a DCA contacted my acquaintance informing them that they required immediate payment.

DCA are a small firm (3 family members) and, as far as I can tell, are legitimate - they have a website and no negative media results. From their website, I cannot however determine their company number or if they are a member of any trade associations.

As part of the 45 minute conversation between my acquaintance and DCA DCA said:

1) Threatened my acquaintance with criminal prosecution and a potential jail sentence for robbery

2) Spoke in legalese referencing c15 different forms and procedures with no intent (/ability) to explain

3) Had no knowledge of the arrangements between A and B

4) Assumed that my acquaintance was fully liable for A's debts and repeatedly stated that claim

5) Became forceful / insistent to the extent that my acquaintance burst into tears

I have recommended that, next time they make contact, my acquaintance do the following:

1) Request they contact them in writing

2) Request that they stop contacting by phone

3) End the conversation at that point

4) Note key details of the conversation

Any advice would be hugely appreciated given the distress my acquaintance is experiencing.

Thanks,

Ben

Edited by bensward

Who is the DCA?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

your recommendations are correct.

DCA's are not BAILIFFs

and have

NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS.

name the DCa please

tell them to go away off next tine they ring.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx100uk - it's reassuring to know.

I At the moment I'm going to have to hold off posting the DCA's name but, depending on their next action, I will consider doing so: while I fully support exposing their morally questionable practices I have to balance that with keeping my acquaintance anonymous.

Given their small size, I suspect that the DCA could easily identify A from this thread. If this eventually goes to court I would not want anything I've posted here to have any bearing on the case.

Ben

Given their small size, I suspect that the DCA could easily identify A from this thread. If this eventually goes to court I would not want anything I've posted here to have any bearing on the case.

then I question the usefulness cag can be if everything is secret squirrel

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

4) Assumed that my acquaintance was fully liable for A's debts and repeatedly stated that claim

Nope - it is a LTD company. UNLESS the director gave a PG to B.

If there are no assets within the company, advise wind it up as there is no revenue.

I will make more response when not at work.

Part 31 of companies act 2006.

'http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/gbhtml/gp4.shtml'

• 3 weeks later...

I have an update on this issue:

The DCA stopped contacting my acquaintance after being told that all future communication should be in writing.

-

However, a Statutory Demand has now been served on Company A (the limited liability company as opposed to the director) for the full perceived liability.

Though my acquaintance still strongly believes they could challenge the legitimacy of the debt;

given the company has no assets and no revenue stream

- they currently plan to ignore the demand and fully comply with any subsequent liquidation / wind-up proceedings.

My acquaintance will also send a letter to the creditor to inform them of the company's lack of assets

to ensure that there they are aware of Company A's current financial situation.

---

Also, though this feels like a technicality..

. the creditor on the demand letter is not the original creditor (and this can be easily evidenced through invoices and receipts).

Nonetheless, the original creditor and the creditor on the form are closely linked (and probably share owners).

For the sake of wasting the creditor's time/money,

can my acquaintance reasonably request that the statutory demand is set aside based on wrong name?

---

I appreciate this is now off topic and relates more to insolvency than debt collection agencies,

any input would be extremely appreciated as my acquaintance has no legal representation.

In particular,

any feedback on my acquaintance's proposed next steps would be helpful,

as would any inputs on risks/issues which not disputing the statutory notice might introduce.

Thanks,

Ben

if another 'creditor' has issued an SD in their name

they would need to prove they inherited all the assets and accounts of the old company for this to stick me thinks.

dx

and they

Ok.

An SD has been issued albeit in the incorrect creditor name (controlling group ?)- treat this a guns drawn ready to fire. A BR petition can be filed if this is not set aside in HC (or court dealing with HC matters).

The question is as there is no revenue - I assume no assets in this case, whether the director wishes to contest any possible action ?

This is a good guide by the IS http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/guidanceleafletspdf/guidefordirectors. pdf - take the space out between dot and pdf.

You will need to consider if you wish the become a company director again - the IS can take action as below

https://www.gov.uk/company-director-disqualification

Please remember this is not legal advice or a course of action advocated - there may be other issues involved, but in this situation, prima facie, if it was me, a company not trading, no assets, a debt (alleged), i would let them throw money at it, and be relieved when its all over.

It will cost money to set aside, which the company can ill afford, and I would imagine the technicality of name is insignificant (would certainly prolong things tho).

Chris

Thanks dx100uk and numbers666.

Agreed - it feels like there is no point contesting the demand and there is also no appetite to extend timelines purely to be annoying. The company's assets are minor (4-5 figures) and liabilities are 6 figures. The directors are the largest creditors.

I don't think the directors can be accused of unfit conduct - the solvency issues all arise from the termination of the franchise and the subsequent failure by the creditor to provide the promised new franchise. If it were to go down that route, legal advice would be sought.

• The company was profitable with a perfect trading record, until the franchise was unexpectedly terminated. Given the alleged debt is to the firm which terminated the franchise, there cannot have been any element of deception.
    No major purchases were made after the franchise was ended and all subsequent trading was to reduce inventory (and thereby storage costs etc.) with a view to winding-up company. Until this statutory demand was received, it was feasible that all other creditors (excluding directors who would have accepted write-off of their loans) would have been paid back from sale of inventory.
  • All accounts and company documents are up to date. Latest accounts about to be submitted. Directors personally paying accountancy and bookkeeping fees.
  • No tax is owed by the company. Company's largest asset is a tax refund due from HMRC.
  • No company money has been used for personal benefits. The directors have been providing personal funds to allow for critical activities to continue (e.g. accounts). Company assets are all unusuable for non-business purposes (single-purpose industrial equipment).

Thanks,

Ben