I feel conned. - Purchased a second hand car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3428 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Purchased a second hand car from a reputable dealer 2 days ago however when I got the car home I read through the manual it states the timing belt should be replaced when the car is six years old and the car is in fact 6 years of age. I have called a garage and I have been quoted £400 to replace it.

The dealer serviced the car before collecting however on the 6 year service the timing belt should have been replaced which hasn't been done.

My question is should the dealer have made me aware of the belt change and do I have any right to pursue this? Many thanks.

£400 would be around the correct price, it's not just the belt that's changed if it's done properly.

I don't think you will get anywhere with trying to get the seller to change it. A sellers service would basically be oil and filter and other fluids, there is no regulation to say he has to do it as the maker dictates and nothing to say he has to even know what the service should entail at a certain mileage.

Coming up to a belt change is probably why the previous owner got rid of it.

Thank you I have had a quick skim through on my tablet and they should have made me aware of the vehicles history which would have effected my decision to purchase. I will read the rest later. Thanks again.

I have the service book and no mention of timing belt change yet the handbook states it should have been changed on the 72 month service which was completed by the dealer I purchased the car from.

Poke you nose underneath and take a look at the oil filter to see if it is new. If it's a petrol car, you can dip the oil to see if that is clean.

Have they stamped the service book to indicate that particular service has been carried out by them or did they tell you|?

If they had told me the timing belt had not been changed it would have effected my decision to buy the car. They had the service history and handbook so they were more informed than me that this would cause extra cost to the buyer.

Do I have a case to go back to the retailer?

No you don't.

A dealer is under no compulsion to service a vehicle before you buy it from him. Many do, but it will normally only be a basic oil and filter and check levels service.

If it would have affected your decision then you should have specifically asked the question and had it confirmed (or not)