• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• No it's not on my credit file, never has been either 🤷‍♂️
    • Ok thank you. So, am I implying correctly that even though I am overseas, and able to have any correspondence to the UK address forwarded to me, there is still a chance that bankruptcy proceedings could be brought against me?   Selling the property isnt really an option.    Also I'm a bit confused. In reply ~12 the advice is to get the defaults and let them run their six year course, but if I make small payments wouldnt that keep the clock running?
    • Well, we have also been done by Yewtree Cars/James Harrison! We bought a Land Rover Discovery from him off a dealer site on 28th December 2020. He advertised it as 1 loving owner (true, I tracked him down on Facebook, really nice guy!) throughout the advert WOW full dealership service history, WOW new cambelt, WOW new MOT, WOW full valet including decontamination clean WOW, WOW, WOW!!! We paid £4500 for the car plus £280 for delivery from Solihull to Winchester. He sent 3 texts reminding us to ‘look after the delivery guy cuz he’s a top man’! Soon worked out that HE was the delivery guy! They dropped the car off and scarpered. It was dark when it arrived, initial thoughts were it was disgusting inside. I have never seen such a filthy interior. He even left his sweet wrapper inside. He drove the vehicle down to us (we thought that we were paying for a transporter). It was running on fumes, so we took it out to get fuel. Straight away noticed automatic gearbox slipping. Not a good start. Next day messaged dealer asking for the receipt, twice, he said that he was in Dubai (in his dreams!) for 2 weeks but would send it when he got back.  Before he delivered the car, he said that if we weren’t happy he would personally come and collect it. Sent him a message (I like to keep proof of conversations) to say that we certainly weren’t happy and wanted to return it. His reply was - SOLD AS SEEN, YOU GOT A CHEAP CAR! Thinking we would have to cut our loses, we had a new gearbox put in, only to find that the crankshaft had also gone and then the bottom part of the engine had to be replaced. Also the suspension at the front was leaking oil (mentioned as an advisory on the previous mot, which he said had been done). He forged an entry in the service book saying that it had just had a cambelt change (false Land Rover stamp), confirmed by previous owner and Land Rover. So, after 8 weeks of being at the garage and £7000 - YES £7000! later we certainly did get a cheap car from him. Are we going to let this go? NO! I have found out his real name and I am going to pursue him through the court until I get this money back. He is the worst kind of confidence trickster, a lier and a thief. We will have no hesitation in scouring Solihull for him, whatever it takes.
    • You want to avoid any CCJ's, by ensuring all UK creditors have your current address abroad.  Also as dx suggests, making small payments based on current affordability would be wise.   Keeping the accounts running with original creditors bu making minimal payments, will give you time to consider options.   If it were myself in this position, I would be thinking how quickly could I get the tenants to vacate the UK property and how quickly could it be sold.  This would enable me to at least retrieve some equity after repaying any secured loan and the equity would then enable me to plan the next steps in my life.  I am not advocating walking away from debts, but I would be thinking, that if I end up with CCJ's or worse Bankruptcy, then with additional costs being added, I would have no money left.  And worse, if I had  to sell the property quickly, it may sell at a reduced price and I could still owe a debt after it had been sold.   So may be you should be getting some formal financial/legal advice in the near future, to see what you can do, to protects your interests as much as possible.    
    • Well rac just responded    Ironically they're saying they bear no liability as the - and this is their words   "the catastrophic engine damage had already occurred before the first patrol arrived"    I've emailed back to say simply that we are unable to accept this explanation as the patrol did not raise any concerns in regards to engine damage and that if the engine had been "catastrophically damaged" that they still bear liability for advising to continue towing on it which caused the actual failure    Gave them 14 days to reconsider before opening small claims...     
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2313 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Maximus is already used by the Department for Work and Pensions to carry out welfare-to-work schemes in the south-east of England.

Does any more need to be said ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I suspect what won't change is the assessment terms laid out by the DWP.

If it's not the Lima software that could be better, but I'm not clear what they would use. Was Lima developed by Atos, I can't remember?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Was Lima developed by Atos, I can't remember?

HB

I believe it was. The last I read was that the delay in appointing someone new was whilst DWP negotiated for them to have access to the software, but I can't find a link again now so I might have that wrong.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

iirc, Lima was originally a software package designed for American insurance companies to more easily refuse claims. No surprise it was heartily taken up by the DWP. Oh well, Maximus Profitus it is ...

iirc, Lima was originally a software package designed for American insurance companies to more easily refuse claims. No surprise it was heartily taken up by the DWP. Oh well, Maximus Profitus it is ...

Hello Rae, nice to see you here. :)

I'm wondering if this is the system that Unum USA insurance company, known to take a tough line on illness, helped to create. We're talking a few years ago since the last discussions though so I might have remembered wrongly.

HB

Edited by honeybee13
Typo.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Any one have any idea when reassessments will start up again. Like many I was due to be seen in January but have heard nothing from them. I did request information from the DWP and was sent a letter saying that assesments had been deferred (although it seems not to be the case for everyone strangely).

I imagine it might take a while before Maximus is up and running but at what point should I start to worry about my nice brown envelope dropping though the door?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yeah I saw that. A real 'Halloween horror' If ever I saw one. If that goes through I can see extreme suffering and many, many deaths ahead. :(

What the hell is wrong with these people? They really do think only of themselves don't they.

More then ever this has become a war against the sick and disabled by this bl**dy government.

Leaked documents this summer showed that ministers considered ESA - formerly known as incapacity benefit - to be "one of the largest fiscal risks currently facing the government".

Yeah, right.... Edited by honeybee13
Labour MP Dame Anne Begg, who chairs the Commons Work and Pensions Select Committee, said she would support overhauling the delivery of ESA but "did not envisage" any reduction in the value of the benefit.

"That's not reform, that is just saving money. I hope that is not something the government is going to come forward with."

And that is what it is all about - saving money. Cutting the value of ESA by comparison with JSA will obviously deter all those people who have been so stressed by the JSA regime that it's made them ill. And for many sick people it will just be easier to give up their 50p a week and keep jumping through hoops since they're not that different from the JSA hoops, but without the farce that is the WCA.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I see this has been done just in time for my ESA to not get the automatic 2 year extension, how predictable. My next ESA50 I predict is due this month. They did the suspension of WCA's 2 or 3 months after my last one.

Also I think this will be worse than ATOS, ATOS were actually allowing recorded medicals, staff were also always polite to me. I suspect one of the reason ATOS fell out with the DWP was they were even realising themselves that the WCA was wrong, and this new company has probably been more cooperative.

And that is what it is all about - saving money. Cutting the value of ESA by comparison with JSA will obviously deter all those people who have been so stressed by the JSA regime that it's made them ill. And for many sick people it will just be easier to give up their 50p a week and keep jumping through hoops since they're not that different from the JSA hoops, but without the farce that is the WCA.

There is actually no logical reason why ESA should not be directly linked to the state pension value, both are the same thing but for different age groups. Its purely political reasons why the state pension is protected so much.

And that is what it is all about - saving money. Cutting the value of ESA by comparison with JSA will obviously deter all those people who have been so stressed by the JSA regime that it's made them ill.

But in plans set out by IDS, both ESA and JSA (along with WTC, HB, and other benefits) will disappear and be replaced with Universal Credit - This will level the playing field and mean everyone will be subject to the same sanctions regime and hoop jumping exercises.

Its purely political reasons why the state pension is protected so much.

The pensioner's vote is hugely important to all parties, and is the one sector government is unwilling to pick a fight with.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Many of us would be worse off under ESA - under JSA, those on DLA / PIP, get a disability premium. You don't get this (the £30 a week) on ESA. It was a huge loss to me when I was forced to claim ESA. And then I had to wait some 20 odd weeks to get my ESA result.

Food stamps next and a swipe card for utilities. Oh and a clothing bank.

What we need is a pot of gold to get a good lawyer and then go after the DWP. That or go put your head under the blanket, because its coming.