• Tweets

• If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
    • Good evening  Case hearing this Friday 26/04. looking to have all my prep/papers ready.    just checking in to get update on my last post , ( the t&c’s attached). No name or address on them as per #49   thank you UCM  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Looking to take Orange to Court

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi fellow CAGers,

its been a long time.

I've gotten all my finances in order and thought I would be free until I ran into a problem with Orange.

I've had a mobile phone contract for about 3-4 years. I've always paid by direct debit, and my bill has never reached even £60.

At the end of June this year, I received a bill for over £300

Orange allowed me to go over my plan by 700 minutes plus.

I contacted them on the same day I rec'd my bill, and asked them why they didn't they inform me that I had gone over my plan.

They said that they don't do that and that its my responsibility to keep track of my calls. I told them that I've never even had bill for £60 moreover £300.

I told them that I have also previously rec'd texts from orange stating that they do periodically look at how much I'm paying.

I asked them that it would not be feasible for me to pay it. And I was told that they can't provide any help until the debt goes to the collection teams.

I asked if I could upgrade my plan to have unlimited calls and text messages. They said yes, and told me that the upgrade would start at the end of July.

I paid the portion of the bill that I didn't dispute.

Within two weeks I was partially barred.

My account was unbarred at the end of July, as per the start of the new plan. I paid the new plan on time, and within 2 weeks, my line was partially barred again.

Paid September's bill on time, paid October's bill on time

On October 1st, the account with fully barred.

Throughout this time, I've been having phone (I've recorded all of these) and email conversation stating that both T-Mobile and EE contact their customers when they are close to their limit (via a text) and I've found news quotes from Orange representatives stating that they do contact their customers.

I was going to take them to the Ombudsman, but even though I requested the deadlock letter multiple times, and have been promised it, it was never sent.

I'm considering taking them to court for the 2.5-3 months of charges for no service, even though I was paying. And for charging an arbitrary rate that is no where to be found in my contract.

I agree that they are owed money for the extra minutes, even though I don't like the fact that I wasn't notified at all given the bill has skyrocketed more than 4 times my plan.

The money I believe they are owed is what is stated in the price plan, another month payment which covers the 700 plus minutes.

There is no "extra minute" charge found anywhere in the contract.

Not only that, during this entire time, I've rec'd two calls from orange sales people offering another line, and one orange sales person actually offering to update my account again, for cheaper than the price plan offered in June.

I read that the CCA doesn't govern them, but saw someone post link a to WHICH regarding mis-selling and Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, can I also use the UTCCR?

My goal is to pay what is contractual and get my phone number back, which they are currently holding ransom.

Can anybody offer any help/guidance?

Hi money

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain whats happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do.

Go threw their T & C's, just because it's in their T & C's doesn't make it fair.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/i-think-theres-an-unfair-term-in-my-contract-what-can-i-do-

Send it to:-

Ms Deirdre Burns

Retail Director

Everything Everywhere

[email protected]

Let us know what they say.

Hi Rebel,

We've sent a formal letter (email) of complaint. we sent it to Mr Swantee who is the chief exec of EE, and we rec'd a reply from his assistant. At first they weren't willing to do anything except offer a payment plan which would extend our contract by at least a year.

We pushed harder and they offered to reduce the charges by half, which we didn't agree to as we should've been contacted and the rate for the charges are no where to be found in the t&c.

We offered to pay the monthly price plan amount, as that is the only rate/figure found on the agreement and they can't charge at an arbitrary rate as the contract doesn't say they can do that.

They refused that offer and will only go so low as half the charges (plus tax of course).

Our discussion has pretty much come to an end, we asked for the deadlock letter. They promised to send it, and have not (that was weeks/a months ago).

This is where we're at currently... Should I send a LBA?

Incidentally, just received our recent bill, which has a refund of £12.43 on it. We have no idea what its for. Gonna call them and find out. I'm hoping they have done it in regards to us not having any services despite the fact that we've paid.

Then they would have officially shown that they agree that we should receive a refund for not having access to the service.

You state that it's not in your contract, so the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 apply.

You could write back to Mr Swantee, explain that you believe they have breached the UTCCR 1999, send it Recorded Delivery.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/consumer_ni/consumer_protection_for_the_consumer_e/consumer_contracts_e/unfair_terms_in_consumer_contracts.htm

Hi Rebel,

We've sent a formal letter (email) of complaint. we sent it to Mr Swantee who is the chief exec of EE, and we rec'd a reply from his assistant. At first they weren't willing to do anything except offer a payment plan which would extend our contract by at least a year.

We pushed harder and they offered to reduce the charges by half, which we didn't agree to as we should've been contacted and the rate for the charges are no where to be found in the t&c.

We offered to pay the monthly price plan amount, as that is the only rate/figure found on the agreement and they can't charge at an arbitrary rate as the contract doesn't say they can do that.

They refused that offer and will only go so low as half the charges (plus tax of course).

Our discussion has pretty much come to an end, we asked for the deadlock letter. They promised to send it, and have not (that was weeks/a months ago).

This is where we're at currently... Should I send a LBA?

Incidentally, just received our recent bill, which has a refund of £12.43 on it. We have no idea what its for. Gonna call them and find out. I'm hoping they have done it in regards to us not having any services despite the fact that we've paid.

Then they would have officially shown that they agree that we should receive a refund for not having access to the service.

• 2 weeks later...

update.

here is the reply i rec'd from orange

Thank you for your email dated 9 November 2014, I write to confirm the following.

I am sorry that you have not received the Deadlock letter you requested, I assure you this was requested for you on the 5 September 2014. Our Legal Department issue the Deadlock references and have confirmed that it is not necessary for you to obtain a deadlock when your complaint is has been ongoing for 8 weeks.

I refer to my email dated 25 August 2014 in which an offer was made to reduce the charges incurred by half. You exceeded your minutes by 796.40 minutes and were charged £246.80 excluding VAT. These charges are correct and due. It is your responsibility to monitor your usage. As mentioned in my previous email, should you remain unhappy with this offer, after eight weeks you are free to seek alternate advice from CISAS. Should the matter remain unresolved eight weeks from the date a complaint was first raised, a customer has the right to approach the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS). Please note there are some exceptions to the scheme and some issues may fall outside the remit of CISAS and as such these matters would not be eligible for independent arbitration.

CISAS

24 Angel Gate, City Road, London EC1V 2PT

Telephone: 020 7520 3827

Fax: 020 7520 3829

Email: [email protected]

Should you wish to speak to me regarding the offer made, I can be contacted on 0800 079 0232. The office is open Monday to Friday 08:00 to 20:00 and Saturday 08:00 to 18:00. If for any reason I am unavailable, please leave a contact number and I will return your call as soon as possible.

I trust the above information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

I want to send a reply back, but i don't want to give away too much of my case... is that a legit concern?

can someone look at my reply and advise? thanks in advance

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I don't think you understand what the issue is.

As stated in my letter, I have had the opportunity to look at my rights via the ombudsman service and contacted Which.

My bone of contention is that Orange has breached the UTCCRs in the way they have acted regarding this

issue.

That is the reason i've decided to take Orange to court. This is a contracts issue.

For the record, I do agree that you have made an offer, but I too have made an offer. I offered you the amount

that you can only charge me, the monthly contractual amount for 900 minutes.

My contract with you is for 900 minutes and nothing more. Although you state that it's my responsibility

to make sure I don't go over this, it is also your responsibility to make sure that I stay within the contract.

When you allowed me to go over my minutes without notifying me, you breached the UTCCR.

The rate at which you have charged me for those minutes, as stated in my previous emails, are nowhere to be found

in the contract. It is completely outside of what is set within the contract.

This is again a breach of the UTCCR.

Even if you want to say that these minutes are outside of the contract and therefore wouldn't be represented within it,

this becomes another breach of the UTCCR as you have created a one-sided contract.

With just those in mind, you are contractually owed the rate stipulated within the contract for the extra minutes.

However, Orange continued to make mistakes by entering into an amended agreement, and barring my line so that

I could not actually use the services, yet you continued to charge me for those services that could not be used.

You can not charge for a service when that service is not being provided.

This is again a breach of the UTCCR.

In other words, you have received money for services you have not rendered as per our contract. When you contra

how much I owe you, which according to our contract can only be another month's worth of minutes (around £41 i believe),

Orange actually has money that should be returned to me.

The UTCCR regulates all contracts within the U.K. Therefore, a contract can not be found to be in breach of the UTCCR, and each party must also act in accordance with the regulations found within the UTCCR.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2083/contents/made

The purpose of the courts is to see that both parties are made to adhere to the legislation that governs this contract.

I am contractually obligated to pay for the extra minutes that i've used. And Orange is contractually obligated to abide by the terms and conditions found within said contract. So you can not charge any other rate than the one found in the contract.

If you are going to charge a different rate, then this must be agreed upon by both of us, else you are in breach of the UTCCR, and your own contract.

As i'm preparing to take this issue to court, I ask once again, if you believe that Orange is owed that amount, please point to where i can find that rate or instruction for going out of my minutes within the contract.

You clearly believe that I am wrong and Orange are owed £246.80 (excluding VAT). Please show me without breaching the UTCCR or amending the contract that I could possibly owe you such a figure. Show me where I have mis-understood the issue or missed vital information.

Failing that, I request that you reduce that debt to £41 as per your contract which is governed by the UTCCR, and turn my phone number back on.

Yours Sincerely

If your going to send that response, 'remove all mention of court'. Replace with 'I am considering further action on the matter'. Your likely to get a better response that way. It's succinct and to the point.

Also remember the court will see that you've done everything to resolve this matter. So the next port of call is the 'Ombudsman'.

they are wrong in their interpretation of the deadlock letter - if no satisfactory conclusion has been arrived at, they are obliged to send you one.. this in order for you to escalate your complaint to the Ombudsman.

However, if they refuse to send you one - which they appear to be doing - you can enclose that letter with your complaint to the Ombudsman advising that it is obvious there is a deadlock - however Orange believe they do not have to put this in writing and you are taking their communication to be notice that they are not prepared to bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D