Jump to content

Hastings Direct car insurance problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



I'm having some trouble with Hastings Direct!


My convertible was recently 'vandalised'- the fabric hood was cut, the glove box has been broken, and the radio suffered water damage as a result of the hole in the roof.


19 days from the damage occurring and I was informed that the car is deemed a total loss.


During this period Hoopers Engineers inspected the car at my home, and arrived at an estimated repair cost. I was informed that provided no further water damage was found, the car could be repaired.


On this basis the car was sent to a Nationwide repair centre. They have found no further damage, but their estimate is £2,140 higher than Hoopers' and their engineer therefore deems the repair uneconomic.


I have been informed that should I want to obtain my own estimate, I will be charged £150 for my car to be returned. I explained that I agreed for the car to be sent to Nationwide, assuming a repair was to occur (unless further damage was found). At no point was I told that I would be charged for its return.


If I were to accept a 'total loss' settlement I have been informed the car will be categorised as 'C' or 'D' and that I am not allowed to buy it back and get the repairs done myself.


Nationwide's estimate was completed on 23rd October. Despite four calls to Hastings since then, we seem no closer to resolving the issue.


I have written a complaint this afternoon detailing my situation and informing them that I either want the car repaired, or I want to reach settlement such that I can have the car repaired myself.


Has anyone any suggestions as to how else I could proceed? I have been without a car for almost three weeks now, and based on progress to date I see no prospect of this being resolved soon.


Many thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

you've written, see what they come back with

does yr policy provide for a courtesy car?

do the policy terms say anything about this 150?

for ins purposes any repairs wld usually have to be by an approved repairer,unless they agree otherwise.

afak, if written off, then becomes theirs if settled. depends on the category whether can then be sold on or not.

wait see further input.

welcome to cag btw

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have not signed any contract with Nationwide repairers or with them via Hastings, the car is your property and it is up to you what you choose to do with it. You can go to the Nationwide garage and drive the car away if the car is still driveable. It would be up to Nationwide to claim off Hastings any expenses they have incurred so far.


If the car can be repaired economically and you can sort this our yourself, then Hastings should pay you a relevant cash settlement so you can do this.


Hopefully Jamie the Hastings rep will respond tomorrow and he can ask the claims department to sort this out, so you can do what you want. Hastings won't obviously pay a sum that is more than the cars current market value. i.e if you can get a repair done yourself cheaper than the market value, then I would expect that Hastings would be happy with that.

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jaybe81,


Thanks for taking the time to post. I am sorry for the delay in my response, I hope that you have now heard back from our team and come to an agreement. If not then please feel free to forward me a copy of the correspondence you have sent us and I will follow this up for you. [email protected]


Many Thanks,


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Jamie - Unfortunately no agreement as yet.During a call to Hastings on Tuesday, I was informed that I would receive a call back by 17:30 that afternoon. This didn’t happen, so I called again that evening to chase progress, and spoke to yet another of your colleagues (Carla). She said that she would ask that I received a call yesterday and that she would call me today to check that had occurred.No update was received yesterday, and while Carla has returned my call as promised today, she was surprised to hear that I still hadn’t heard anything. The issue now seems to have landed with her to deal with. There seems to be no continuity – I have the names of 5 different staff who were supposedly dealing with this, just since Saturday, and I still have no idea as to what is happening. I don’t understand why they cannot pursue the matter to its conclusion, and I’d rather not be promised updates if they are not going to be forthcoming.I’ve no criticism of Carla, and she seems keen to help, so let’s see what’s happens. It’s just unfortunate that it’s taken so long.I will email my claim number to you in the hope that you can help progress this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your input Ford & unclebulgaria67.


I have received a call from Hastings who are trying to establish the discrepancy between the two estimates which they have obtained.



I'm told that I could have my car returned in order to obtain my own quote, but should that quote not be acceptable to Hastings, I would then have to pay for it to be sent to their salvage company, which surely can't be right!

My understanding is that if written off, it would be Cat D (i.e less than the value of the car), so Hastings can sell on, but they are not prepared to sell it to me. I would therefore receive the 'market value' of the car, but would presumably loose the 8 months premium paid which remains on the policy; incur the costs associated with purchasing another car such as an HPI check, vehicle inspection etc; and have to pay my no doubt increased excess.

It seems as though I have no choice but to wait and see whether the first engineer can justify his quote, and then make a decision as to whether I try to obtain my own estimate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...