Warrant for my arrest - non payment of fine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2599 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a fine for £945 in September for driving with no insurance .

I completely forgot about the fine due to relationship problems etc .

I have now had a warrant issued for my arrest unless I pay fine in full or attend court .

I have opted to attend court as I can't afford to pay in full

I have made a payment of £145 today and plan to take £300 in cash with me ( which is all I have )

and am going to ask for a payment plan for the remaining .

Could I possibly go to prison tomorrow when I attend court?

Thanks

They are more likely to do a full Means Enquiry Hearing in order that you can repay the fine at an affordable rate. You must have ignored several reminders to get to this stage.

I would take proof of income and expenditure with you (bank statements etc....). Unfortunately for you, relationship problems would not be seen as a good reason for forgetting to repay the fine, however big an issue it was for you at the time.

Thanks for the information . It was just the one reminder letter that I had. Relationship problems have caused me nothing but grief , I have a one year old daughter who is Ill and my ex partner is giving hardly any jnformation out of spite, I am self employed and due to all that has gone on I have got in slight debt as I have not been running the business properly

A Warrant is usually issued for your arrest for non-payment of a fine. These are for you to appear before the Bench to explain why it has gone unpaid. There are different scenarios for what may happen including the fine being remitted, it could even be increased, you could be made to do XXXX hours community service. Only in exceptional circumstances would a custodial sentence follow and only if you stood up in the dock and told the Magistrates what they could do with their fine.

Best bet is to attend and apologise for it slipping your mind, it may pay to ask if part can be remitted because of your financial circumstances. Whatever happens be polite & dress smart, address the Magistrates as Sir or Ma'am, don't interrupt if they are speaking. Might even be a good idea to have a word with the Duty Solicitor first.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is understandable you are worried, and nobody can tell you what you would like to hear -ie- that you won't go to prison. There is a chance you might as you can read in my link.

Usually they try to find a way for you to pay it without clogging up the prisons further. The reason you would be most likely to be imprisoned is wilful non-payment, which from the little you have said, appears not to be the case.

What the Magistrates will do is to try to ascertain the reason WHY you had failed to pay and whether this was 'wilful refusal'.

A fine of £945 for driving without insurance is extremely steep and I am wondering whether or not you responded to the summons and completed a Means Enquiry Form. This needs to be taken into consideration when you attend court.

Would you please post back later today to let us known how you get on.

PS: Good luck and try not to worry.