debt from germany being chased up in England

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have received a letter from interum justitia saying that i owe just short of 4000euros to citibank in germany...... now i did have a loan off citibank whist i was living in germany but i fully repaid this this via direct debit and finished paying this loan off around 14 years ago......... i have told the debt collection company this and they say they are getting some paperwork from citibank to pass on to me...... i have emailed my old bank in germany who say they only keep account info for 10 years so i cant prove that i have paid......any advice what i can do?

I would think it might be worth looking what their statute of limitations is. 14 years ago ?

It would have been well statute barred in this country.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Germany

• The standard limitation period is 3 years. It applies to all claims in contract and in tort if not otherwise provided in statutory law or case law.
  • 10 years for claims for the transfer of the ownership of land and the creation, transfer or cancellation of a right to a plot of land.
  • 30 years for claims for return of property duly owned.

The limitation period starts running from the end of the year in which both:

• The claim arose.
  • The claimant obtained knowledge of the circumstances giving rise to the claim and the identity of the defendant.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

So even if you left a debt behind, it should have been subject to limitations law many years ago and could not be enforced now.

If I were you I would write back saying that you deny that there is any debt. The only debt you had in Germany was paid off more than 10 years ago and even if there was a debt, it would be subject to statute of limitations law of Germany. Suggest to them that they have been sold a debt that does not exist or is not enforceable and you do not wish to be contacted again.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

So even if you left a debt behind, it should have been subject to limitations law many years ago and could not be enforced now.

If I were you I would write back saying that you deny that there is any debt. The only debt you had in Germany was paid off more than 10 years ago and even if there was a debt, it would be subject to statute of limitations law of Germany. Suggest to them that they have been sold a debt that does not exist or is not enforceable and you do not wish to be contacted again.

broadly this – except I would give them less information and I wouldn't tell them about any debt in Germany. A simple denial and asked them for evidence or else you don't want to be contacted again and that you will complain if they do

cheers guys....... i will get a letter sent to them asap and see what they have to say....... it just really annoys me as i know i left germany with no debts........ i was still in germany for a further 2 years after paying off my loan so i have no idea where this has come from....