Jump to content

Advice Please - ESA


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,



I am on ESA because I have arthritis. My wife recently went on a carers course and has now been offered a part time job. I would like to know what change this will have to our benefits?



She will be working different hours every week varying from 17 hours one week to 32 hours next week.



As well as my fortnightly ESA amount of £227.40 we also receive child tax credit £230 a month and child benefit £80 a month.



Do we need to inform the DWP or HMRC or both? Does she need to do more or less hours? I am being given conflicting advice from friends and family so I thought I would ask on the forum.



Any help/advice would be much appreciated.




Link to post
Share on other sites

Is all of your esa income based or is part of it contribution based?


Yes you need to declare any work your wife does if you have an income based claim. Her hours need to average less than 24 a week, her income would be taken into account minus a disregard.


You may also want to look at if she would qualify for working tax credit, and yes you need to inform hmrc of changes in income and work.


Also be aware any mortgage interest or housing benefit payments may be affected by this change.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...