Lost engagement ring - AXA Home insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Unfortunately my fiancee lost has her engagement ring. It was lost sometime during a 48 hour time window. During this time she was only out of the house for 3 hours.

The insurance company told me during my initial phone call that it was insured as my policy covers individual items up to the value of £12,000.

After a more detailed discussion with my fiancee they have decided to reject the claim as they say there is a possibility that it was not lost within the property but outside.

In my opinion its far more likely it was lost inside the property as she was only outside for a minimal period of time.

Thoughts anyone?

Neil

It seems to be an extraordinary policy to me that only covers the loss of this kind of item if they have been lost on the property – in other words they must still be there somewhere.

I think the first thing to do is to look at the terms and conditions of the insurance and let us know what it says about this.

Secondly, was she wearing the ring when she went out? Does she take the ring off when she is at home? I can almost imagine that if they accept that it was lost at home, that they will then say that it's not really lost because it's on the premises somewhere and it will be discovered

Most contents insurance policies have a personal belongings in and away from home section which covers either specified items or anything covered by all risks up to a certain value. genrally this means an engagement ring lost in a public place is covered but if lost at home it is not considered lost, just misplaced. Check with them about both the cover and the interpretation.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, she always wears two rings when she goes outside, the engagement ring and another ring on top to stop the engagement ring from falling off. She still has the other ring so we think its highly unlikely to be lost outside of the property.

Inside the house she sometimes wears both, only one or none depending on what she is doing.

That's why we waited about two months before making a claim as we were certain we would find it but after the millionth time of looking behind the sofa etc no discoveries have been made.

I have examined the terms and conditions of the policy online and can find nothing about loss outside the property (excluded or included)

I will ask the insurer to point me to the specific clause in the policy that they believe invalidates my claim.

I suppose that you are going to talk to them on the telephone. I think that you need to record the call. If they start using the same basis for denying loss again – then you have it on the record and if you can show that there is no reference to this in their terms and conditions then you will have them in a very difficult place because it will be quite clear that they are trying to breach the contract and treat you unfairly.

Do not do this without recording the call. It's extremely important.

This is a difficult area because it appears that no cover was arranged for a valuable item that would be worn away from the property. A loss then occurs and you are relying on cover for a loss within the property.

Why was no 'away from home' (personal possessions) cover arranged for a valuable item that would be regularly worn away from the property ?

How long ago was the ring purchased ?

What is the approx value of the ring ?

Was your financee permanently resident at the property at the time of the loss ?

Is the Home Insurance noted in both names or did you take it out and your financee moved into the property ?

I think you may have a good case to take to the FOS, but you will need to have allowed the Insurers 8 weeks to resolve a complaint or reached deadlock. before the FOS will look at a complaint.

Have a read through this FOS link

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/35/personal-possessions.htm

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi,

I have been with this insurer for some years, i knew that an individual item was insured up to £12,000 so assumed (whoops) that cover for a loss meant anywhere on planet earth and not just my house.

The ring was purchased in 2010. Its worth £6100 as per a valuation last year when it was repaired. She is permanently resident at the property and has been for seven years. The home insurance is only in my name.

Thanks for the link.

Hi,

I have been with this insurer for some years, i knew that an individual item was insured up to £12,000 so assumed (whoops) that cover for a loss meant anywhere on planet earth and not just my house.

The ring was purchased in 2010. Its worth £6100 as per a valuation last year when it was repaired. She is permanently resident at the property and has been for seven years. The home insurance is only in my name.

Thanks for the link.

Take the complaint to the FOS, if the Insurers won't pay the claim and let them decide.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It seems to be an extraordinary policy to me that only covers the loss of this kind of item if they have been lost on the property – in other words they must still be there somewhere.

I think the first thing to do is to look at the terms and conditions of the insurance and let us know what it says about this.

Secondly, was she wearing the ring when she went out? Does she take the ring off when she is at home? I can almost imagine that if they accept that it was lost at home, that they will then say that it's not really lost because it's on the premises somewhere and it will be discovered

The majority of standard polices would not cover physically losing an item within the home and typically within the boundaries of the home. The mass market would require you to have personal possessions / belongings or to have specified the item.

There are notable exceptions in the standard market eg Saga.

I suspect the OP has Axa's mid net policy and / or the M&S branded version which has higher than standard limits and has a good chance of covering losing items within the home due to it being aimed at a more discerning market and having wider cover than normal.

Perhaps the OP could tell us which Axa policy she has so we can look at the cover to see if i should be covered by the policy.

Failing that the advice to make an official complaint and then onto the Ombudsman is the way forward