Honours Student Loans 'trace letter' after 15yes

MoneyRats
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yeah they say "considering a home visit", reviewed considered whatever.

The fact is, as you say, people who are vulnerable to these kind of threats are the ones who are struggling and terrified of their own dire financial situation,

they know those fear buttons and just hammer them repeatedly to scratch a few quid a month out of some poor sod.

That's the kind of thing that drives alcoholism and suicide.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm returning to uni to finish my nursing course off and have taken a massive cut in NHS bursary.

I have a degree from years ago and old mortgage style loans, which somehow went into arrears and got sold onto the wonderful Honours SLC.

I am not entitled to a new student loan, because of this factor and wondered if I could take these people to court,

appeal or anything on the grounds of lack of information, discrimination and losing of paperwork.

I doubt if I stand a chance, but is there anyone who can help me?

This could affect me doing my course and I find it unfair, as I deferred due to major illness and only have two years left.

I am trying my best, any advice/help would be useful ty.

Edited by sammie89
typo

I'm returning to uni to finish my nursing course off and have taken a massive cut in NHS bursary.

I have a degree from years ago and old mortgage style loans, which somehow went into arrears and got sold onto the wonderful Honours SLC.

I am not entitled to a new student loan, because of this factor and wondered if I could take these people to court,

appeal or anything on the grounds of lack of information, discrimination and losing of paperwork.

I doubt if I stand a chance, but is there anyone who can help me?

This could affect me doing my course and I find it unfair, as I deferred due to major illness and only have two years left.

I am trying my best, any advice/help would be useful ty.

you new to start a new thread

of your own

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

No news from them for a month now. No "home visit" yet (what a shocker).

I'm sure a new threatening letter will arrive at some point, they'll think of a new way to rearrange the same threatening words in a different order and send another letter that I'm supposed to cr@p myself to.

• 2 months later...

I said I'd keep this updated so I will - still no more letters or contact from HSL. Just coming into July now so last letter I got was mid-March. Surprise surprise no "home visits" or any cr@p like that.

Anything I get will still just go straight in the bin anyway but hey. If anyone out there is in the same circumstances as me I recommend just absolutely totally ignoring it and not giving them even the slightest thought to make you worried, as that is literally the only tactic these scumbags have.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting MoneyRats

I called the Student Loan Company today to get a balance for a loan I took up in 2005, as I haven't had any correspondence from them for a while (though I have moved a couple of times).

The lady kept going off the line because she said my account seemed to be 'locked',

she gave me a balance eventually, but said I'd have to call HSL to discuss a previous student loan. Eh? Who are they?

That loan was in 1992 I said, and I think it was only for £350 quid, and I'm sure I paid it off.

She gave me a number and advised me to call them.

When I got off the phone, I tried to think back 20 odd years..

I'm sure I deferred it a few times, and I think I did pay something, but thinking about it, I don't think I would have paid it off.

There's nothing on my credit file about it - I should know because I was in debt a few years back, and all the defaults have finally dropped off

. I'm buggered if I'm going to let a 20 odd year old debt mess that up..forwarned is forarmed as they say!!

Cheers!

As. In that other thread

HSL are nothing but a hidden dca

Like link+thesis

Arrows+redeo

Ruddy fleecers the lot of em

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Hey all, so after 6 months I got another letter from the clowns/cowboys (clownboys?) at HSL.

It's a nice breakdown of all the interest they say I owe on this non existent debt.

Quite funny really, literally goes 30/03/15 £5.18, 30/04/15 £5.01 etcetera.

They've even got the balls to send me a photocopied sheet of the financial conduct authority's guidelines on what to do about being in debt

- which is ironic really seeing as the FCA state that having been notified by me of the debt being statute barred

they should no longer be contacting me at all.

See here from FCA website:

CONC 7.15.7: It is misleading for a firm to suggest or state that a customer may be the subject of court action for the sum

of the statute barred debt when the firm knows, or reasonably ought to know, that the relevant limitation period has expired.

CONC 7.15.8: A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer

has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred.

From here: https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/CONC/7/15.html

This loan is 20 years old,

no contact with me for at least 15 years,

no CCJ's = no debt.

If I had nothing better to do I would just start legal proceedings with the financial ombudsman,

but I'm quite happy to just chuck their silly letters in the recycling

and report on here to help anyone else out in same situation.

• 7 months later...

Just to keep this alive with no further information really: I haven't had any further letters at all from this bunch of criminals so maybe they've given up? Been 8 months no contact whatsoever....no idea.

Cheers