bcham

over 50s unemployed

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1849 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

any one on here like me i am 57yrs old and i apply for 5 jobs a day as required from my adviser at the job center. i have been unemployed over 5 years but i never get any interviews. i also did 4 weeks of work experience, a few weeks ago.my adviser says it would help getting work,but to no avail. my adviser repeatedly asks me why i am not getting interviews for jobs.i say i think its my age. they say age is not a barrier. i say it definitely is.what do you think.

I am 40, was made redundant in Feb 2013. I am now on ESA (long story) but was on JSA for a year and 3 months previously. In that time, and after applying for what must be 500+ jobs (probably a lot more) I had 4 interviews, 2 of which were for a place I volunteered at so they already knew me - so in all, 2 actual interviews.

The reasons? Well, it is not my CV, it is not my interview skills as I have been on both sides of the table, it is not my letter writing so what is it? Well it is:

(a) There are simply not enough REAL jobs

(b) The majority of jobs are zero contract or part time

© There is a lot of seasonal work

(d) The jobs that do not pay enough to come off of benefits after travel/council tax etc.

(e) Those REAL jobs that are available go to those in the organisation at risk of redundancy so of course they get first 'dibs' on them

(f) As much as legally it cannot be the case of course age is a barrier - why pay a skilled person say £25,000 when they can pay a junior minimum wage?

I told all of the above to my JCP adviser at the time and he had no comeback simply because he knew it to be fact.

Do not beat yourself up over not getting interviews or a job, there are plenty of us around like that and employment figures are NOT going down, it is because people are moving to ESA and working zero contract. They lie and manipulate statistics, after all, look at the net spend, Osborne said we are doing well but yet the deficit is getting larger.

One only needs to look at the statistics to demonstrate that age is a barrier. See table 2.12 from the DWP WP results

I'm afraid that all you can do is keep plugging away at the applications, perhaps looking at different job sectors and temp vacancies - There are a few employers out there that do not take age in to consideration.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

any one on here like me i am 57yrs old and i apply for 5 jobs a day as required from my adviser at the job center. i have been unemployed over 5 years but i never get any interviews. i also did 4 weeks of work experience, a few weeks ago.my adviser says it would help getting work,but to no avail. my adviser repeatedly asks me why i am not getting interviews for jobs.i say i think its my age. they say age is not a barrier. i say it definitely is.what do you think.

I'm exactly like you, with 30+ years admin experience - same age too. Plenty of applications, plenty of email acknowledgements thanking me...and bugger all else.

My conclusions?

1. The vast majority of the jobs don't actually exist and are simply agencies collecting CV's for when any real vacancies occur.

2. Age is a problem; being older and skilled we'll naturally be wanting decent money and won't be taken advantage of, unlike young unskilled people who will work for minimum wage (or less) and can be pushed about.

3. Even in the case of 'genuine' vacancies, employers don't want permanent staff on serious contracts; they want staff at their beck and call who they can dispose of as and when. Older people are less likely to put up with this - I know I never apply for zero hour jobs.

Best to just get the applications in, screenprint them as proof and use them purely to keep the JC happy while you try and find the rare genuine vacancies.

It works at the other end of the scale too - daughter finished uni 2 years ago now and has had one interview in all that time. Luckily as she can claim carer's allowance for me she's avoided the work programme, but that doesn't mean she doesn't want a job and isn't making, or at least was making, a huge effort to get one. Some of the enthusiasm has waned now, and I don't blame her at all if some days she can't be bothered to trawl through all the fake job ads yet again.

The few people that bother to respond to her applications all say it's lack of work experience that is the issue, and we're not talking senior positions here - she's applied for anything, including cleaning the toilets in the local shopping centre. They don't seem to count the hours she spends running around for me as work, nor the fact that she's basically done all the physical work of running the household for the last 10 years, nor the two hours a week she volunteers at the library, running the children's story session. And for once, there's nothing much that Mum can do to fix it other than help finance some sort of business if we can find anything that has a hope of paying a living wage at some point.

I really and truly feel for anyone who is applying for job after job with no real hope of actually getting one, whatever their age.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

It works at the other end of the scale too - daughter finished uni 2 years ago now and has had one interview in all that time. Luckily as she can claim carer's allowance for me she's avoided the work programme, but that doesn't mean she doesn't want a job and isn't making, or at least was making, a huge effort to get one. Some of the enthusiasm has waned now, and I don't blame her at all if some days she can't be bothered to trawl through all the fake job ads yet again.

The few people that bother to respond to her applications all say it's lack of work experience that is the issue, and we're not talking senior positions here - she's applied for anything, including cleaning the toilets in the local shopping centre. They don't seem to count the hours she spends running around for me as work, nor the fact that she's basically done all the physical work of running the household for the last 10 years, nor the two hours a week she volunteers at the library, running the children's story session. And for once, there's nothing much that Mum can do to fix it other than help finance some sort of business if we can find anything that has a hope of paying a living wage at some point.

I really and truly feel for anyone who is applying for job after job with no real hope of actually getting one, whatever their age.

I agree, it os both ends of the scale. Vastly experienced not willing to be pushed around for a paltry amount and no experience wanting to get any job just to get on the ladder but cannot get anything as they have no experience so end up volunteering (which will help with references anyway) or taking a minimum wage job and earning less than being on benefits - you cannot win. I also agree, like me and many others, the enthusiasm wains after a while and you feel there is no hope

It also makes all those uni fees and student loans etc feel like such a waste - even if/when she does get a job, I dread to think how much she'll have to start paying back.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.