• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case on this topic that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN. Should this ever happen to me, I will make an appeal at the first stage to avoid any problems that may occur at a later stage. Although, any individual in a similar position should decide for themselves what they think is an appropriate course of action. Also, I continue to be grateful for any advice you give on my own particular case.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Tesco's threaten me with legal action, please advise!

Scunci
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am hoping for some sound advice please as

I am going through a continued difficult time since losing my job five years ago and

finding myself out of work for the first time in 38 years,

luckily I managed to get a job two years ago but

it is only part time (14 days a month) and

just about covers my essential bills, mortgage, gas/electric, fares, council tax, tv, broadband + phone,

I do need my broad band and phone as when I am not at my part time job

I am still trying to get full time work although as now approaching sixty am finding it almost impossible,

the tv is the only entertainment I have as I cannot afford to go out or on holiday etc,

I then have enough money left over for food and any extra's and this amounts to around thirty pounds a week,

I have so little that I cannot even afford to get a tooth filled that broke several months ago

(sorry to be so open but this is how it is).

When I lost my job due to redundancy five years ago,

I owed some credit cards, Tesco's being one of them,

the debt is large at approx 8k,

this is not the sum as I do not want to give too much away on here so as not to be identified,

whilst on job seekers Tesco's accepted a pound a month as that was then all I could afford,

once I was in work I then paid them five pounds per month,

this is along with three other companies that I pay the same amount to,

so altogether 20.00 per month on my debts,

they have recently been demanding that I pay more,

I have said that I cannot afford more and ended the phone conversation

as they were asking for proof of my income and expenditure

and I said I could not pay more and there was no point in discussing further,

I then received persistent phone calls from them most evenings which I do not answer,

they wrote to me demanding more money and threatening further action

I wrote and offered ten ponds,

I stated that is the best I could do,

this was last week, they have now sent me another demand,

I would think sent the same day they would have received my letter,

they have not acknowledged my letter in their letter in any way,

I did not send it recorded as I could not afford to, I do have a copy,

the latest demand is a dunning letter stating that they are now considering legal action against me,

I am now quite worried as they state that they may serve a to my employers to force them to take money out of my earnings

and pay Tesco's directly (I really am worried about this as I am already down to the most I can pay out

and if anything is taken out of my earnings I don't think I can carry on)

they are also saying that if I am a home owner they may ask the court for a charging order over my house!

I did offer Tesco's a settlement figure out of my redundancy five years ago

but they refused it and I now have no money left,

all my savings went on keeping me afloat until I found employment again.

I am sorry this is so long but I have no one to discuss this with, I am very ashamed

and upset about my situation and now this is making me feel unwell.

I have tried to attach a copy of the letter received today but failed, will keep trying but

would really appreciate any advice please.

Hi & Welcome to CAG,

First of please do not worry & never fell ashamed, most of us on here have had issues at some point in our lives through illness, redundancy etc.

You need to stop talking to Tesco's on the telephone, any communication needs to be done in writing only.

The letters Tesco are sending are just computer generated threatograms, the employers attachment of earnings is only awarded if Tesco successfully obtains a CCJ, you then default on the CCJ etc.

Do yourself a new income & expenditure, do not forget to include TV licence etc. including monies set aside to cover an emergency.

If at the end of it Tesco's only ever receive £1 for the next 35 years so be it.

If Tesco's ever went to Court, you could then include an up to date income/expenditure to clearly show a Judge that you are on a low income and £1 is all you can afford. A Judge will not make you pay more than you can afford.

You say when you lost your job 5 years ago, what date did you take the Credit Cards out?

I would send Tesco's a CCA request, the template letter is here... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387435-CCA-Request-Consumer-Credit-Act-1974

You need to enclose a £1 postal order, Tesco's have 12 + 2 working days to comply (the +2 days are for postage).

If Tesco's do not comply within that time-scale, you can legally with-hold payments.

As above, deal only in writing, if Tesco's do phone up and you do answer, please remember that you are under no obligation to speak to these people on the telephone, therefore just say "Send in writing only" & hang up, do not get involved into why just hang up, time to take control.

Have you got all of the statements & do you know if PPI was ever applied?

Any charges & PPI can be recovered, never use a claims firm, you can easily do this yourself, just ask in the forums for advise.

To get all of the statements if you do not have them, you will have to send Tesco a SAR request, the cost for this is £10.

May also be beneficial to obtain a copy of your Credit Reference File, the cost for a paper copy is £2 via sending them a postal order, the forms are on each of their websites.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

is this debt still with Tesco's or is this a DCA sending these threats?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you Stigman and dx100 for your replies, much appreciated,

apologies for late reply but there was a power cut in my village last night and then the internet was down until today.

The credit card with Tesco's goes back years, maybe ten, twelve or more,

the debt is still with them,

they have not yet passed it on to a DCA,

I have found that Tesco's like dealing with their own debt collection and tend to be bully boys when going about this kind of business,

I do speak from experience as having been involved with commercial debt for over forty years

and even having Tesco's as one of the customers I used to chase for payment for a company I then worked for,

they did in fact overpay by over 20k on their account and to the day I left that company some years after they overpaid,

they never discovered this over payment so in my opinion they do not seem to know what they are doing on the other side of the coin.

Stigman, I note that you say that if Tesco's ever went to court I could then produce an income/expenditure form,

should I not do that now to demonstrate what I have told them is the truth or is it best to wait?

I have all the statements and payment receipts and correspondence including their declining my offer of settlement of 20% of the debt

the balance to written off,

in all my years experience in credit control I only ever chased B2B,

I really could not do debt collection of private individuals, since losing my career I have seen a very dark side to consumer debt collection

and it takes a certain individual to keep hounding the life out of people,

I appreciate that some can pay but don't want to etc,

but for those of us that truly cannot afford to clear their debts life becomes a living nightmare with no end in sight,

I just barely get from day to day now, there is nothing to look forward to any more,

my treats are now down to where I can save the most money on value meals etc,

and for sure I never venture into Tesco's anymore!

I will do the CCA and I will send it recorded and will let you know what happens,

and thank you guys for your help it is much appreciated

and has made me feel a little better today than I have for a while.

I have managed to copy the letter received from Tesco's yesterday and will try to attach it.

Yes, you could send an I & E form now to prove that you simply are not able to pay what you don't have. I would suggest you have a word with National Debtline and ask them to help you put together one of these - then when you include a copy with your letter to Tescos, you can say something like..

Having spoken with National Debtline, they have helped me produce the

enclosed. As you can see, I simply do not have the money you are asking

for.

You should perhaps get a letter out to them immediately (send with a free proof of posting) in view of their recent communication, you are seeking advice from National Debtline. Tescos should hold back for 30 days in order for you to do this.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have gone onto the National Debt Line and part of the form asks about your assets, property,

I do have a house with equity in it but I do not want to thave to sell my house to pay off this debt!,

what do I put down please?

my mortgage is approx 180k, my house value would be approx 260k, this is how the section on the form is :

Assets are things like savings or the value of property, such as your home or car.

Creditors will not usually expect you to sell these to pay off your debts but it is a good idea to show

that you have at least considered whether this is an option.

By clicking yes here, you are confirming that you have no assets that you can sell to make lump-sum payments to pay off your debts.

This statement will appear on your budget.

If you are thinking about using any of your assets to pay off your debts, you may have other options. Contact us for advice.

Your assets

I confirm that I have no assets that I can use to make lump-sum payment (then tick which of the boxes you decide, yes, this is true or: No, this is not true)

Sadly that is the main problem with I&E now.. you have to pretty much declare everything - I didn't realise they were advising that you should consider selling as an option. I am not sure what you should be doing in this case. Tescos obviously know you have a property as you would have already advised them when you entered into the agreement.

Sadly, if they issue a claim against you, then you will almost certainly have to complete and I&E in similar detail if you want to repay any judgment (assuming you were to lose) by instalments.

:(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It is an option, but it appears that I have a choice whether to declare it or not, they state that declaring it shows that at least I have considered the option, there is now way I would consider selling my house that I have worked hard for to clear this matter up, so by not showing it on the form I would assume that it would mean to me this is not an option?

It is an option, but it appears that I have a choice whether to declare it or not, they state that declaring it shows that at least I have considered the option, there is now way I would consider selling my house that I have worked hard for to clear this matter up, so by not showing it on the form I would assume that it would mean to me this is not an option?

Ah, sorry I didn't quite understand. In that case, I would not complete that section. Obviously it is NOT an option that you will sell.

BCOBS

Ok, I will try this, I did fill out the form and it actually said I should be paying less to each of my four creditors than I am, Tesco's was only to receive 4.00 per month and I am currently paying them 10.00 and I have been completely honest on the form and can prove everything, I did try to save it and download it but for some reason it did not work, I will now have to attempt it again tomorrow as running out of time now, Tesco's have just rang me again, I did not answer but have saved their number into my phone so I know its them.

Sorry, seen your reply on my phone in post #5 on my phone but was out with family so could not reply.

As advised in post #6, get the CCA off to Tesco's and see what they come back with.

I'd leave the I&E until Tesco comes back with a valid CCA.

If you do complete an I&E, only complete your income & outgoings, never complete the property section showing that you own a property with equity (even if they know you own a property, they do not know how much equity is in your property) it would be like waiving a red rag to a bull & they are more than likely to push for the option of trying to obtain a Judgement against you.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

theres a simple way to deal with this TAKE CONTROL yourself.

TELL [dont ask] them they are only going to get £xxPCM for xx mts

as a goodwill gesture

and as a reciprocal GOGW they must freeze int & refrain from levying PENALTY charges.

if they wont

drop them to £1PCM for life.

as an example>

I am currently in financial difficulties and not able to meet my normal monthly repayments.

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £5 for 6 mts.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation change.

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture,

refrain from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.?

Should you fail to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, contrary to all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions would do nothing to help me.

i thank you for your time.

dx

then pay by your internet banking site

and get reclaiming

TAKE CONTROL

or

if you have sent the above and they refuse

then write back........

i'm sorry, but you have failed to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, against all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i repeat again, the contents of my letter dated dd/mm/yyyy, for want of clarification:

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £XX for XX mts

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture, refraining from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation chance.

should you fail to help by refraining from levying unlawful PENALTY charges & freeze my interest,

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions are doing nothing to help me.

This is contrary to the rules you should operate under.

disgruntled account holder

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I know it has been a while but I did send 1 £1.00 postal order to Tesco for a CCA,

I have just had the £1.00 postal returned along with a letter stating:

Consumer Credit Act 1974, then my name, followed by:

Thank you for your requesting personal data held by Tesco bank.

Unfortunately, we're unable to provide the information requested as the account is now closed.

Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 Sections 78 we have a duty to give information only to a debtor under a running-account credit agreement.

We have enclosed the cheque provided with your request.

you have any questions, please contact us and we'll do everything we can to help.

So now what do I do as I cannot obtain the information I have requested,

the account is still with Tesco and not a DCA,

why are they saying the account is closed?

I look forward to your reply!

Eh ? Can you scan in and post up that letter please, make sure any personal information is removed first.

They are obliged to provide a copy of the CCA on request and it does not matter if the account is closed or not ?

BCOBS

Send them a failure to comply with cca request from the templates section

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

pers I'd copy the last threat-o-gram

staple that to the CCA request

and send it back

dx

and they

HOW TO UPLOAD DOCUMENTS / IMAGES ON CAGi

IMMEDIATELY YOU DO NOT NEED 10 POSTS

IMPORTANT To protect your IDENTITY and ensure you remain ANONYMOUS on CAG

YOU MUST ensure that you REMOVE all Personal Information including Barcodes, Names, Addresses etc

ENSURE: To leave all Monetary Figures and Dates.

DO NOT USE A BIRO, PEN, SEE THRU TAPE OR LABELS TO EDIT THE INFORMATION

1. SCAN YOUR DOCUMENT

- Set your default scan page size to A4 less than 300 DPI (150 will do)

- Scan the required letters/agreements/sheets - as a picture (jpg) file

- Don't forget you can use a mobile phone or a digital camera too!!

- If you have multiple scans/pictures please put these into a WORD DOC first ensuring you have removed all Personal Information before converting to PDF.

- IPHONE ONLY: Take a picture and Convert to PDF via an APP

2. HOW TO EDIT (Remove Personal Information)

- Do this using MSPAINT.EXE or any Photo Editing program and ensure to save the document.

3. HOW TO CONVERT YOUR DOCUMENT TO PDF

- If you have OFFICE installed this has an installable PRINT to PDF option so use this and save as PDF.

- If you have PDF as an installed driver use this program and save as PDF.

OR Go to one of the many free online pdf converter websites:

- http://freejpgtopdf.com/

- http://www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net/

- http://www.freepdfconvert.com/

- http://www.pdfmerge.com/

- http://www.primopdf.com/

PLEASE REMEMBER: It would be better to upload a Multi-page PDF rather than multiple Single PDFs.

4. BEFORE UPLOADING YOUR DOCUMENT ON CAG

- Logically Name your PDF File so Users know what it is. DO NOT NAME YOUR FILE USING BANK NAMES OR CAG IN THE TITLE

- For Example: Default Notice DDicon-MM-YYYY.

IMPORTANT To protect your IDENTITY and ensure you remain ANONYMOUS on CAG please ensure that you do a final check that all Personal Information including Barcodes, Names, Addresses etc. are REMOVED before carrying out the NEXT STEP

5. HOW TO UPLOAD YOUR DOCUMENT ON CAG

- In your Thread/Post open a new msg box here.

- Click 'Go Advanced' below the msg box.

- Click 'Manage Attachments' below that box.

- Click the 'Add Files' button on the top right.

- Click 'Select Files', navigate to your file(s) on your PC.

- Click 'Upload Files'.

- You DON’T have to put a link to the attachment in the msg box just upload it ……… JOB DONE

- You can click on your links to check them too!!

and they

There seems to be some grey areas with the Rankine v American Express finding,

I am not sure what to do next,

should I go for an SAR to see what they have on file as they seem to be implying that they do not have the account anymore,

but it is Tesco that are harassing me, even though they have now agreed to accept my offer of £10.00 per month which I can ill afford,

they have now started ringing me again, twice this evening, once yesterday,

I do not answer their calls but I have put their name on my phone so I know its them.

Advice would be appreciated.

here are the requirements, note in particular 13.1.3 (5)

http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/FCA/CONC/13/1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.