Internet 'trolls'....the government's plans outlined.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3221 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a question. If one thinks something is defamatory, one should, in the first instance, write to the owner of the website.

Herein lies my problem. To find the owner of the website, one normally goes to nominet or who is. Where would one go if that displays a private registrant as is often the case?

Basically, how do you find the owner if the registrant is shown as private?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing to note is that if you come across something ou believe to be against you then you should take a copy whether a screenshot or print a PDF of the offending comments just in case at a later time they may have been edited or watered down & also take a copy of this so that they can be compared.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

brassnecked - My husband has an American pen pal - they communicate by email/letter totally in cockney rhyming slang :lol:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

brassnecked - My husband has an American pen pal - they communicate by email/letter totally in cockney rhyming slang :lol:

Cor blimey, Bet that is interesting.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

They can be very confusing :lol:

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They can be very confusing :lol:

I could imagine a Cockaney, telling an old style bailiff where to go with menaces:

" Would you adam & eve it you want how much? You'll be lucky if I can give you a monkey on Friday now shat your norf & sarf, and do one, fore i put a Frankie Frazer over your boat race my son"

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

It is a pity that some are letting this important topic descend into irrelevant [and, frankly, not very original] farce. This in, of all places, a thread about those who disrupt genuine internet discourse.

I totally agree with you. This subject is of utmost importance as it deals with the government plans for dealing with these pathetic individuals who like nothing better than to remain unknown and ruin other peoples lives.

When my son was at University he joined a debating group and to this day he says that this was one of the best things that he ever did. During the debating sessions a subject would be on the agenda (any recent news items) which would be discussed and it quickly identified those people who have serious problems with listening to other people's point of view and who are instead looking to turn the debate into an argument. At following groups the same individuals would disrupt the debate and within weeks that individual would then be excluded from taking part in further debating sessions.

Whilst the internet is a great pace to debate a subject there will always be those individuals who cannot accept that they are wrong and they will do what they are best at and this is to sling insults at others until eventually being banned.

Unlike when taking part in live debating sessions that person....now armed with a computer....will simply 're-invent' himself by another name and seek to disrupt the subject. This individual will do the same thing time and time again. The following article is an excellent example of 'trolls':

http://www.peorian.com/technology/technology-news/trolls-cyberbullies/1079-how-to-identify-and-defeat-an-internet-troll

How ironic that this important subject about 'trolls' may well have been quickly disrupted by one (Lynx Roll). I do hope not.

Edited by Bailiff Advice
Link not working

That is an interesting link (http://www.peorian.com/technology/technology-news/trolls-cyberbullies/1079-how-to-identify-and-defeat-an-internet-troll ) - I pasted it again as yours didn't work for me. I Googled 'peorian.com and internet trolls' and it was the first link.

I have to disagree with some of the ways of defeating them though. They suggest provoking a troll so they give up and leave. In my limited experience this is the very last thing they do, they get far worse.

They suggest twisting what they say, praising them facetiously - bascially doing what they are doing back. I feel this is very unwise and likely to exacerbate a situation.

They also suggest, "Just identify the troublemaker as a troll and move on to other websites or activities."

This is normally an excellent suggestion. However, sometimes by doing that, you give the troll exactly what they want, dominance of the internet which can be equally dangerous, leaving them free to pedal their own views and opinions with nobody any longer in their way to challenge them.

This can happen particularly if they feel one person in particular is stopping them achieving their aims which can be personal, business or both. It is hard in this circumstance to know how best to deal with the trolls. On the whole ignoring is the best solution, though if they have access to another website (as they always will), they will continue their vendetta to destroy you, and maximise every opportunity to hurt you.

The issue of 'intelligent trolls' in the article is also interesting, and one I've read about before. The trolls often think they are intelligent. They aren't.

Intellect is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as, "the faculty of reasoning and understanding objectively, especially with regard to abstract matters."

The word objectively is critical in this sentence, and the concept of abstract matters -ie- issues they may never have experienced personally, so the issue is abstract to them is also important.

Trolls lack objectivity. They also lack almost entirely the ability to empathise or align themselves with something alien to them. This of course brings us full circle to their main intent - to disrupt and cause harm, often to just hurt, damage and even destroy just one person.

With the rapid expansion of the internet over recent years, and the ability for trolls to have almost instant renaissance, it is critical webmasters and their site teams ban these creatures at the earliest opportunity to minimise the damage they cause. Their danger should not be underestimated.

How ironic that this important subject about 'trolls' may well have been quickly disrupted by one (Lynx Roll). I do hope not.

Why am I being called a troll? Because I simply asked why this subject is tucked away exclusively in the 'bailiff' section (which may be missed by many) rather than in a general discussion thread? What an awful manner to take.

Why am I being called a troll? Because I simply asked why this subject is tucked away exclusively in the 'bailiff' section (which may be missed by many) rather than in a general discussion thread? What an awful manner to take.

It's just unfortunate that your "username" was seen in the way, that I stated before in this thread LynxRoll.

This thread is actually most important, but it went off on a Cockney jaunt (as we can do at times).

I'm sure the Site Team will decide where this thread needs to be, just as long as the important information it contains gets out there to the public at large.

Let's get it back on track as BA intended it to be. 😊

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

LynxRoll;Why am I being called a troll?

Firstly, because.....your choice of name was so obvious..(although I grant you it was not the 'usual troll' name of a Star Wars character).

Secondly, instead of taking part in such an astonishingly important 'debate' you instead ...became critical of the 'location' of the debate.

In fact, you hammered away at this one wholly irrelevant point not only once but three times and again today in your above post.

After seeing that you were logged into the forum most of yesterday I had hoped that when you returned to posting it would have been to make some worthwhile contribution to this subject.

I can but hope.

Why am I being called a troll? QUOTE]

Because.....your choice of name was so obvious..although I grant you it was not the 'usual troll' name of a Star Wars character.

Secondly, instead of taking part in such an astonishingly important 'debate' you instead ...became critical of where the debate could take place. You hammered away at this one irrelevant point not only once but three times and again today in your above post.

After seeing that you were logged into the forum most of yesterday I had hoped that when you returned it would have been to make some worthwhile contribution to this subject. I can but hope.

I can't believe what you're saying here! What a nasty viewpoint you have. Sorry if I only asked a question (that no-one ever did give a proper reply to). Jesus.

That is an interesting link (http://www.peorian.com/technology/technology-news/trolls-cyberbullies/1079-how-to-identify-and-defeat-an-internet-troll ) - I pasted it again as yours didn't work for me. I Googled 'peorian.com and internet trolls' and it was the first link.

I have corrected my post number 34 with the correct link. Thank you.

Having now read the article in the link twice I have to say that it really is an excellent example of a 'troll'.

LynxRoll;Why am I being called a troll?

Firstly, because.....your choice of name was so obvious..(although I grant you it was not the 'usual troll' name of a Star Wars character).

Secondly, instead of taking part in such an astonishingly important 'debate' you instead ...became critical of the 'location' of the debate.

In fact, you hammered away at this one wholly irrelevant point not only once but three times and again today in your above post.

After seeing that you were logged into the forum most of yesterday I had hoped that when you returned to posting it would have been to make some worthwhile contribution to this subject.

I can but hope.

I can't believe what you're saying here! What a nasty viewpoint you have. Sorry if I only asked a question (that no-one ever did give a proper reply to). Jesus.

I refer to a quotation from the link in post 30:

"The main tool of the troll is accusation. It's a form of psychological torture, to break you down by turning your words against you, twisting your statements and pounding away at one aspect of your viewpoint. No matter what you declare, the troll will question you as a person."

Sorry LynxRoll, but your posts do seem to prove this.

I would respectfully suggest that this does not be allowed to degenerate into an argument (something a troll would want), but remains on topic.

I refer to a quotation from the link in post 30:

"The main tool of the troll is accusation. It's a form of psychological torture, to break you down by turning your words against you, twisting your statements and pounding away at one aspect of your viewpoint. No matter what you declare, the troll will question you as a person."

Sorry LynxRoll, but your posts do seem to prove this.

I would respectfully suggest that this does not be allowed to degenerate into an argument (something a troll would want), but remains on topic.

Well, just to offer a defence rather than an argument, I'm not the one who today brought my name into it, directly accusing me of being a troll.

If the mods want to move it they will, if they don't they won't. No big deal.

I was speaking yesterday afternoon with a Police Sergeant and the subject of 'internet trolls' was discussed and he stated that the vast majority of 'trolls' would disappear overnight if everybody had to pay a fee for a new email address. That would also mean that it would be easy to trace the identity of the 'troll'.

Has anyone looked at the definition of Cyberstalking (which I think is a US term) on wikepedia?

Definitions given on there are interesting to say the least!

Cyberstalking is a technologically-based "attack" on ONE PERSON who has been targeted specifically for that attack for reasons of revenge or control.

Cyberstalking can take many forms, including:

FALSE ACCUSATIONS:

Many cyberstalkers try to damage the reputation of their victim and turn other people against them. They posts false information about them on websites. They may set up their own websites or blogs for this purpose.

MONITORING THEIR TARGETS ONLINE ACTIVITIES:

By trying to trace their IP address

ENCOURAGING OTHERS TO HARASS THE VICTIM:

Many cybestalkers try to involve third parties in the harassment. They may claim the victim has harmed the stalker or his/her family in some way or may post the victims name in order to encourage others to join the pursuit.

FALSE VICTIMISATION

The cyberstaker will claim that the victim is harassing him or her.

• 2 weeks later...

I see this surfaced on the news again this morning. One of those jailed appearing to try and put others off, she also seems to have been outcast as there are few who now want to know her. Proves that you just cannot say what you want unless you can back the statements up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

This subject must surely be of public concern given that the thread has been viewed nearly 4,500 times.

However, the purpose of revisiting the thread is to provide an update. The Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015 received Royal Assent on 12 February 2015 and comes into effect on 13th April 2015.

Further details can be read in the following Fact Sheet and provides that Section 1 of the Malicious Communications Act has been amended to allow the prosecutor significantly more time to bring the prosecution (2 years).

Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003 entitled: ‘Improper use of public electronic communications network’ provides that a person is guilty of an offence if he/she:

Sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character or causes any such message or matter to be so sent (section 127(1); or

For the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, sends by means of a public communications network a message that he knows to be false, causes such a message to be sent;

or

Persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another (section

127(2)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/363924/fact-sheet-s127-comms-act.pdf

Wouldn't it be nice if that law included a DCAs use of sending 'call us to confirm if it is you, if it is not you press 1, if you press 2' type of texts and emails.

No reason why complaint cannot be made if proved to be excessive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]