Can my friend sue for harassment?

pinny
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear CAG

I'm encouraging a friend of mine to sign up but while she's in the process can I get some advice for her please? Following substandard work completed at her house, it then transpired that the handyman in question had not given her the cancellation rights she was legally due, thus putting him in the position of committing a criminal offence. This has been confirmed by Trading Standards. The handyman is aware of this and admitted it in writing. In the same letter he confirmed that he was in any case putting this in the hands of a debt collection agency, which has been in touch with my friend. The issue is not the DCA but the behaviour of the handyman which is tantamount to harassment according to one informal legal opinion of another friend. Does my friend have a case to sue for harassment; what are the timescales and damages likely to be if so? Where to start please?

Thanks for any advice

Pinny

Dear CAG

I'm encouraging a friend of mine to sign up but while she's in the process can I get some advice for her please? Following substandard work completed at her house, it then transpired that the handyman in question had not given her the cancellation rights she was legally due, thus putting him in the position of committing a criminal offence. This has been confirmed by Trading Standards. The handyman is aware of this and admitted it in writing. In the same letter he confirmed that he was in any case putting this in the hands of a debt collection agency, which has been in touch with my friend. The issue is not the DCA but the behaviour of the handyman which is tantamount to harassment according to one informal legal opinion of another friend. Does my friend have a case to sue for harassment; what are the timescales and damages likely to be if so? Where to start please?

Thanks for any advice

Pinny

Hi, what exactly makes the handyman's conduct "tantamount to harassment"?

Is he making constant phone calls, e-mailing, texting or calling at the property?

Placing an account/debt with a debt collector is not harassment.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Dear CAG

Thanks for any advice

Pinny

What in their behaviour makes it harrasment?

Your post is a bit light on the detail to allow for comment.

Thanks Brigadier - he has sent numerous texts and called round without making prior arrangements. What feels wrong is that he was told by Trading Standards that because there was no written quote; no 2 week cooling off period; the work was described as dangerous and contravening building regs by a member of the Fed of Master Builders; and he started work without being commissioned to do so, in law there was no debt. But the very same day, having received that advice, he put the amount he claimed with a DCA. Look forward to hearing your views and thanks again. Pinny

I think it might be an idea to wait for your friend to post as this is all so nebulous and lacking in detail.

What work did he do that was not commissioned?

If he was a handyman doing some work on your friend's property, did they not spot him doing the werk that had not been commissioned?

But the very same day, having received that advice, he put the amount he claimed with a DCA

The very same day as what?

There is so much missing here that it is impossible for anyone to know what the actuality was.