• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Arrows claimform - old GE debenhams Storecard + PPI counter claim

Pumpkinhead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3397 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear fellow Caggers

I'm in the process of requesting CCAs for some credit cards and storecards. However, I've got one Storecard with the above company (originally GE Capital now Santander) for which I took out Account Cover when I opened the credit card account back in 2000.

What I'm trying to establish is whether or not I may have a claim for being mis-sold PPI which I belive this Account Cover to be.:confused:

As I understand it one condition that must be satisfied is that I should have been made aware of how the account cover would impact on the interest rate.

Can anyone refer me to a good thread about this please?

Many thanks

My opinions are not expressed as an agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. My advice is given freely but please remember to always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star below.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

i can't tell you if you have a valid claim but i can tell you im in a similar situation with ge money/santander cards (evans store card).

They have given me full and final response that they won't be refunding, and I have just filed my complaint with the FLA, which you would have to do too, as before the FOS timescale.

good luck

emmtay

• 3 months later...

I'm looking for advice on whether or not a DN I received from Santander in relation to a store card is invalid. From reading other related threads such as Tale of a Dodgy DN etc, I think it is defective.

I believe it's defective because it does not give the date by which the default must be remedied in the correct prescribed term as it uses the phrase "To remedy this breach, you must pay the arrears within 14 days from receipt of this notice". The DN was dated 4 Sept and was posted 2nd class (I have envelope).

The DN then goes on with the usual two sentences that say "If the action required by this notice is taken before the date shown no further enforcement action will be taken ........ , followed by another sentence "If you do not take the action required by this notice before the date shown then the further action..... Of course, there IS no date shown other than the date the DN was created.

Also, I think there may be some question about whether the DN is laid out in the correct format - in relation to the two sentences detailed above, but this might be considered a "de minimus" issue

Going by the dates, the DN was raised on 4 Sept which was a Friday. I have proof it was sent 2nd class so allowing 4 working days for service this takes us to 10 Sept. 14 days on from this is the 24th Sept.

I then received a letter from Santander chasing for payment dated 18th Sept still only asking for the arrears, followed by a letter from Viking (who I think are actually Santander) dated 5 Oct requesting full payment.

So, am I right in thinking they haven't told me clearly enought when the required action should have been taken by. :confused:

Here is the DN

GESantanderDN.jpg

Edited by Pumpkinhead
To attach copy of DN

My opinions are not expressed as an agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. My advice is given freely but please remember to always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star below.

You've been reading my thoughts on that wording already :D

AFAIK it has never been tested in Court, but I do think that it would not take much to show the possible confusion.

After all the paragraph referring to the 'date' is, by law' afforded more prominence than any other and therefore it is that one which 'grabs you attention'

So yes, IMHO that DN is defective in that it states that you have to rectify it before the date you actually receive it.

I would write and accept the account termination/closure and SAR them ASAP as they rarely fail to turn up useful info.

Have you already CCAs them? is the agreement enforceable?

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Thanks Gh. I've got the agreement and it's below. However, for months they only supplied the front page. Whether or not they actually form part of the original same agreement I don't know. I think as it stands the agreement is effective, but would welcome your thoughts. It was taken out in 2000.

Here are the links:

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv213/pumpkinhead50/GE%20Santander%20Storecard/GESantanderStoreCardSide1.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv213/pumpkinhead50/GE%20Santander%20Storecard/GESantanderStoreCardSide2.jpg

I also had PPI Account Cover with it for quite some time and I was wondering if I'd have a claim for mis-selling?

• 2 weeks later...

If you need an extension on your time to try and figure this out further, if your account is with viking services now you can get in touch with a DMC and get to the point when they provide you with a reference number as this is all viking require to place a 28 day review on your account, gives you a bit of breathing room. Is there any update on the situation?

• 2 months later...

Just to update this, FLA were useless, I was referred to the Insurers, who referred it back to Santander, and we went full circle! Luckily I had made a complaint to FOS, and when I got to the dead end again with Santander, FOS have taken on my case. Still waiting to hear the adjudicators decision, been about 3 months now, so hoping not too long!

Emmtay

• 5 months later...

All gone quiet from my point of view! I made a SAR request in August and apart from getting an incomplete set of information from them then, nothing else since.

• 3 years later...

Hi

I need to soon file my defence in relation to a claim from Arrow Global about an old Santander/Debenhams credit card.

I'm OK for the main part on the defence (dealt with others sadly) but

this one is a bit different in that the agreement involved PPI,

I want to use this as part of a counter claim.

The debt is just over £1½k and

I know the PPI element represents a good part of that.

Any thoughts on what I could add into my defence that makes it clear that a counter claim for the PPI is on the cards (part of the defence)

but that doesn't come across as an admission of guilt regarding the agreement itself.

Need to file the defence by Tues latest.

Would really appreciate any help -

Hi

The original post was called Debenhams Store Card & PPI & CCA and was posted November 22 2009. All quiet since then until I received a few threats from Drydenfairfax and eventually a formal claim. The old thread doesn't really give much detail. What I'm trying to find out is whether it is wise or not to include a counter claim in relation to being misold PPI in my defence or whether doing that in some way compromises me?

Oh righto.

Well in order for others to advise you, you will need to provide details of the claim. I think the general consensus is that you defend the claim and submit a separate claim for the refund.

It is my understanding you can counterclaim, but that it gets a little confusing and you will also need to pay a fee, unless you are exempt. I will ask site team to look in over the weekend for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Many thanks

Might it be an option to write (without prejudice of course) to the claimant or their solicitor to bring to their attention that the agreement (and their claim therefore) is likely to attract a counter claim for PPI miss-selling?.

What can I include in my defence about the PPI issue without compromising myself or incurring costs (to bring a claim etc)

Might it be an option to write (without prejudice of course) to the claimant or their solicitor to bring to their attention that the agreement (and their claim therefore) is likely to attract a counter claim for PPI miss-selling?.

What can I include in my defence about the PPI issue without compromising myself or incurring costs (to bring a claim etc)

Once you put a point "without prejudice" you will not be able to rely on it in court.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Ah yes, good point Brigadier2JCS

threads merged and tidied for history - dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Anyone have any thoughts on this that might help me.

I am OK on the basic defence for the claim (they haven't responded to a S78 or CPR31.14)

or sent me any documents in support of their POC.

I really want some advice on whether it's a good idea to make a counter claim for the PPI that's attached to this old credit card debt or not.

If I just enter the standard defence (see below) could I raise a counter claim later if I wanted to?

Do I have to follow any pre action protocol if raising a counter claim?

The Claimant is Arrow Global and this relates to a Debenhams Card originally GE Capital then Santander

So apart from the PPI bit here's what I've put together as my defence so far:

I neither admit or deny the first paragraph of the

Claimant's Particulars of Claim which refer to a regulated

agreement number xxxxxx as having been entered into

originally between xxxxx and myself the Defendant

The Claimant has yet to disclose any such Agreement which conforms

to the requirements of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 CCA and

associated Regulations Specifically the Claimant is yet to

disclose an Agreement which is in the prescribed form, contains

all the prescribed terms as required under s60 of the CCA, has

been properly executed and which is not contrary to s82a of the

Act in question

With reference to paragraph two of the POC and the Claimant's

statement that a Default Notice was served, it is denied that any

valid Default Notice was served or that the alleged Agreement if

terminated, was done so correctly and in accordance with the CCA

In regard to paragraph three of the Claimant's POC and in

consideration of s136 of the Law of Property Act, it is denied

that the Claimant has any entitlement to benefit from the alleged

Agreement as either an assignee of a debt, or as an original

creditor or that the defendant has been notified of the assignment by letter.

The Claimant has failed to comply in any way with the pre-action conduct

practice direction. The Claimant has failed to respond to

requests under s78 (1) of the CCA requesting a copy of the alleged

Agreement and associated documents. The Claimant has also failed to respond to a request made pursuant to Civil Procedure Rule 31.14.

In regard this entire Claim, the Defendant denies that they owe

any monies to the Claimant and puts the Claimant to strict proof

to disclose a valid and enforceable regulated Credit Agreement

that exists between the Defendant and Santander, to disclose

evidence of a valid Default Notice and of such having ever been

served, to disclose evidence that the alleged Agreement if

terminated, was done so in the correct manner, and to demonstrate

that the Claimant has the legal right either under statute or

equity to issue this claim

As per Civil Procedure Rule 16 5 4 the Claimant is expected to

prove their allegation that the monies claimed are due

By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied

that the Claimant has any entitlement to the sum claimed from the

Defendant of £xxxx or any other such sums including associated

costs or relief

Their POC says:

The claim is for the sum of £XXXX in respect of monies owing by the defendant on a credit agreement

held by the defendant with Santander under account number xxxxx upon which the defendant failed to maintain payments.

A default notice was served upon the defendant and has not been complied with.

By virtue of a sales agreement between Santander and the claimant the claim vested in teh claimant who has a genuine commercial interest,

The defendant has been ntofiied of the assignment by letter.

Contact Drysdnefairfax solicitors on xxxxx

Any thoughts on this anyone - I need to get my defence in by tomorrow latest so this is becoming quite pressing. Really could do with some more advice. Many thanks

:jaw:Hi - Could someone please have a look at my query and help me - time is fast running out. Need to file defence tomorrow. Many thanks

What is the issue date on your claim form?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

The claim was issued 19 Sept. I filed the AOS saying I would defend so gained another 28 days. This runs out on Weds this week.

Defence date is today 33 days from and including the 19th Sept = 20th October

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Ihe mrs is in the room

and I can use her fingers this time too

I make it Tuesday midnight?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just saw your message about deadline in time. Ran back down to computer and managed to get my claim in with 3 minutes to go to midnight. Added in a small bit about counter claim but at least got it in on time hopefully. I see the MCOL site acknowledged I'd filed my defence today just before midnight but that it will process it tomorrow. I see I have to pay £60 for the counter claim. I will have to work out tomorrow how I go about paying that.

Thanks for spotting my slip up!

If it is a day early never mind - I only put a brief sentence about the PPI but at least I got it in - might put them off pursuing me.

Edited by Pumpkinhead
extra text

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would post an update.

Shortly after I received the County Court Claim (detailed above) I sent off both a CPR31.14 letter and a s78 request together with the £1 payment. Nothing came back until this week when I received a letter from the claimant (Arrow Global) in effective replying to the s78 request. The letter went as follows:

Dear Mr X

Arrow Global Ltd Account XXXXX

ASSIGNED BY Santander (Account No xxxxx)

We thank you for your letter dated xxx received on xxx and acknowledge your request for documentation pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

We do not accept that we are the creditor as envisaged by the above statute. However, we are willing to assist in obtaining that which has been requested. We will now process your request for documentation from the creditor and will revert in due course.

We return the payment of £1.00.

Now, I am a bit confused by this letter. The original debt was for a Debenhams Card with GE Capital which changed to Santander who then as I understood it, sold (assigned) the debt to Arrow Global. Am I right in thinking that "assigned" means the same as "sold" the debt to another company? The claimant on the County Claim Form is shown as Arrow Global and not Santander, so how can they say they do not view themselves as the creditor in this matter. If they are not the creditor then surely they have no claim against me? What do you all think?

I've not had any reply to my CPR31.14 request.

I filed my defence together with a very brief counter claim as there is a PPI issue involved in this matter too. I have paid the fee too.

Since filing my defence and the counter claim I've received some other documents from the Court as follows:

• a notice of transfer of proceedings N271
  • An N149A Notice of proposed allocation to the Small Claims Track
  • An N180 Directions questionnaire Small Claims Track
  • EX370 Some bumpf about settling your case without going to a court hearing

The N271 says that the defendant has now paid the counter claim fee and that the claim has been transferred to the county court stated further on. The notice continues "To all parties - if you have not already done so you are urgently required to complete a Directions Questionnaire. To the claimant - Please note as the defendants response will now be treated as a counter claim you are also required to file a response using the enclosed response pack. Please be aware that if you do not dispute the counter claim the defendant may be able to obtain judgement against you for the amount they are claiming. As you will be responding as the defendant to the counter claim please read and complete the response forms listing yourself as the defendant. This does not apply to the Directions questionnaire where you should still list yourself as the claimant.

The N149A is confusing me a bit too. My name is shown as the Defendant but the letter seems aimed at the Claimant more than me. The notice says:

Important Notice

If you do not comply with this notice the court will make such order as appears to be appropriate. This could include striking out the claim or entering judgment.

Take Notice That

This is now a defended claim

The defendant has filed a defence and a counter claim

It appears that the case is suitable for allocation to the small claims track

(If you believe this is not appropriate contact ,,,)

You must by 7 Nov complete the small claims directions questionnaire N180 and file with relevant court and serve copies on all other parties.

I seem to remember in the case of a claim that is just defended, as opposed to defended plus a counter claim being made, that if the defendant doesn't do something (not sure what the something is) the case gets stayed automatically after so many days (a month or so I think).

At the end of the day I just want this all to go away. I am not bothered about getting back the PPI providing the claim is just dropped. What will happen if I do nothing? What will happen if the claimant does nothing? What will happen if I do nothing but the claimant does?

Would really appreciate your help asap as I have limited time to get this sorted and don't want another last minute rush.

Many thanks

Edited by Pumpkinhead
Extra information