Have you received a phishing email ?

Conniff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Phishing emails and websites are not new and they are on the increase not decline.

Most people are wise enough to spot the "poorly" done fakes but just how wise are you?

Take this online test which you get to examine 10 potential emails and decide whether they are fake or not. At the end of the test you can click on the links next to each the answers to learn what makes it legitimate or not.

*Online Test* (http://www.sonicwall.com/furl/phishing/?ClickID=cfesip7l7ffe74kvkwxfi4ep7kziilen4nza)

Please post your result.

Darn - Two that I tagged as phishing claim to be legitimate.... But then my bank(s) do not have my email address, so I automatically bin them as spam.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

6 out of 10

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I got the first one wrong but the rest right :razz:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

1 Paypal Legitimate Phishing incorrect.gifWhy? 2 Wells Fargo Legitimate Legitimate correct.gifWhy? 3 IRS Phishing Phishing correct.gifWhy? 4 Bank of America Phishing Phishing correct.gifWhy? 5 Bank of Choice Legitimate Legitimate correct.gifWhy? 6 Cayman National Phishing Phishing correct.gifWhy? 7 Chase Legitimate Legitimate correct.gifWhy? 8 UPS Legitimate Phishing incorrect.gifWhy? 9 Paypal Phishing Phishing correct.gifWhy? 10 FDIC Phishing Phishing correct.gifWhy? You got 8 out of 10 correct.

You got 8 out of 10 correct.

Happy with that because the two that I failed on were American based.

Thanks Conniff for sharing.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

7/10

I usually assume these things are phishing if they want you to log in to your account.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

:lol:
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

This is intended to bring home the fact that emails that look legit could be phishing for your money.

There is no legitimate institution that sends out emails with links directly to your account with them and they definitely never ever ask you to enter a password or pin.

In the early days of phishing an email from Lloyds bank had a link in it, when you clicked on that link there was Lloyds bank, perfect and obviously copied from the original. After all the details had been entered ie name, address, date of birth, account number and password and pin, it then said one of the entries was wrong and the page came up again.

What the sc@m was is the first page was false but the second page really was the bank so there was no suspicion raised at all that you had not put your utmost secrets into a phishing page.

I'm not with Lloyds, but I remember filling it in with the most disgusting words I could think up and then clicking submit.

Something else that you can do with to check the emails is the actual email address link and any links it wants you to click by simply using NOTEPAD

How to do it:

1. Open Notepad

2. On the Email - highlight the email address then right click and copy link - Then paste link into Notepad (if it changes from original link its SPAM GET RID)

3. On links contained in Emails do as above.

Doing it this way you are NOT opening any links but copying and pasting them in Notepad but please remember this isnt foolproof

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

9 out of 10

Ups one caught me

But I have written better ones than that myself (old uni assignment)

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: