Question about Online comments

Clear33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3474 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering about the legalities of posting comments on line about an ongoing court case which is being reported on by the media.

I expect its a definite no for twitter and facebook.

But what about a forum

What about a private, members only forum?

Thanks!

Generally, there is no rule against discussing an ongoing case. However the comments should not be defamatory and they should not be an attempt to affect the proceedings (particularly relevant if it is a criminal case with a jury).

I think that an unlawful comment will still be unlawful regardless of whether it is made on a public or private forum, it is just that a comment on a private forum will cause less damage.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

It all depends on what you are going to say, how you are going to say it, there are limit's to what you can say. You must always bear in mind that what you say can have consequences for you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20782257

Title added.

Thankyou! Thats a much better title. Much appreciated.

Interesting link. This solution seems the most sensible, putting the onus on the jurers to not look the information up on the internet.

"How it's changing:*The Law Commission believes a new criminal offence will have to be created to prevent jurors looking up information about a case online or chatting about it on social media. The government is due to legislate."

Generally, there is no rule against discussing an ongoing case. However the comments should not be defamatory and they should not be an attempt to affect the proceedings (particularly relevant if it is a criminal case with a jury).

I think that an unlawful comment will still be unlawful regardless of whether it is made on a public or private forum, it is just that a comment on a private forum will cause less damage.

I wasnt sure if there was a law preventing comment on current court cases.

It certainly is a grey area.

Initially posting on an anonymous case, so generalised, and then the forum allows a link to the case naming the individials and particulars.

clear

are you a juror? if so, i dont think it is grey. jurors are given strict directions. and, as seen in that link could be in contempt ie there is 'a law preventing comment on current court cases'.

if someone is a juror, they shldnt post comments anywhere about their trial.

Oh no. Not a juror! Totally agree, this should be obvious not to post on line about trial if one is a juror.

No I picked out the quote above about the law changing and the onus being placed on jurors simply because changing laws interest me.

Thanks.

Oh no. Not a juror! Totally agree, this should be obvious not to post on line about trial if one is a juror.

No I picked out the quote above about the law changing and the onus being placed on jurors simply because changing laws interest me.

Thanks.

ok :)

whilst the onus is on jurors not to look up things, as directed. anyone posting/reporting about a case cld well also be in contempt, contempt is broad. take for eg a trial where a defendants previous convictions are not to be put to the jury (decided in jury absence). or there are reporting restrictions, etc. if someone posts up that defs previous/or reports then it may well be seen as contempt if it ends up 'interfering' or 'prejudicing' the trial. depends on the circumstances.

one thing is though, that the law needs to be codified to be 'compliant'. one poss reason for suggestions for more specific laws.

Thanks Ford.

Its not really anything that wouldn't be being presented to the jury anyway. Just a few generalised comments on what was initially an anonymous case until further down the thread, the forum allowed a poster to name the people. The case is being reported in the media.

I then began considering the context of the thread in terms of commenting directly on a court case.