Help! Council Tax Liability order and I've paid in full

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2609 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I purchased a property which is split into two self contained flats, however, it is derelict (not habitable) and requires lots of work. I also work out of town and am not always in the city it is in to check mail.

I've checked the letters there and:

1. Dated 3rd September I received a summons to appear at court on 1st October for the two flats.

2. on 9 Sept I paid the bill (previously received) in full for both flats (having not been back to the property to check for any new mail)

3. Dated 3rd October is a letter stating that I must pay £130 (total £260) for each flat which is £65 council tax and £65 costs and if this is not paid within 7 days council agents will be instructed to collect the debt (i've checked the mail today on 15 October).

My question is do I have any grounds to appeal this as:

1. The property is empty since purchase.

2. I paid the original bill in full.

3. I often work out of town.

HELP PLEASE!

Phone the council this morning when they are open to find out what is going on. If you have paid the council tax in full and they can see this, they will cancel the liability orders.

I think most councils now charge some council tax for empty properties.

You need to resolve this with the council, otherwise if the council do pass to Enforcement Agents, they will charge you an intitial £75 compliance fee and if they then need to carry out an enforcement visit a further £235.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the reply.

For info. as of January 2014, this council no longer offers discounts on such properties which are not occupied.

I just rang them - they said as it has gone to summons, I still need to pay £65 for each flat, even though I paid them in full (the summons was on 3 Sept and I paid on the 9 Sept as I didn't go to the property to check for mail). :(

Edited by justanewbie
Add info.

Thanks for the reply.

For info. as of January 2014, this council no longer offers discounts on such properties which are not occupied.

I just rang them - they said as it has gone to summons, I still need to pay £65 for each flat, even though I paid them in full (the summons was on 3 Sept and I paid on the 9 Sept as I didn't go to the property to check for mail). :(

If you are not at the properties you need to give them a correspondence address, so they can inform of changes. Atleast if you pay now, it will stop further amounts being incurred.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread