No money to pay dads funeral costs

price2pay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Can you tell me if there are any schemes to help pay for my dads funeral.

I have bad credit which means I cannot apply for loans and my dad, (widowed) did not leave any money for his funeral costs.

He took a long time to pass away and past away on Wednesday 08th October,

( I found out on the Saturday 13th October 2014).

My sister and few family friends cannot afford the funeral costs.

I work for the NHS

Hope you can help.

BW

Try discussing it with the council that your father came under. I think they are obliged to pick up the cost if there is no money in the estate and immediate family are unable to fund it - Beyond that, I don't know what else to suggest.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hello again, I'm sorry that your calls haven't helped. I was under the impression that your Dad's council would be the fall back if nobody else could afford to pay for the funeral, I could be wrong.

Did he pass away in a hospital? They would normally have almoners who might be able to help you. Or the CAB if you haven't tried already.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Was your father ever in the armed forces?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If there's no money in someone's estate and family members cant or are unwilling to pay for a funeral then the council will arrange and pay for a paupers funeral. You would only be liable for the cost if you actually arranged the funeral. The council may try and send you the bill but it wouldn't be enforceable.

I'd explain the situation to the council pointing out that family members won't be picking up the tab and ask them to let you know when they have arranged the funeral.

There is another option which costs about £450 where the deceased is just taken away. Relatives than usually have a cheap wake, perhaps in their own home. I've told my family to do this with me, never seen the point of my loved ones pay thousands to bury me. But that's just me.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. We did manage to get support, (loan) from a close family friend. We are shocked how ever to discover that someone we know has been systematically taking out huge chunks of money £600 three times a month going back several years from his post office account. My dad obviously agreed for this person to have access to his account and in fact they lived together and the person claimed to be next of kin. We cannot comprehend why the person took these huge chunks of money which which is essentially State pension when my dad was in hospital care for several months at a time. This left us with only £100 of his Estate to bury him with. We have informed the fraud squad.

• Haha 1

I'm glad your dad got a decent send off. Shows there are some good people around as well as those who will take advantage of the vulnerable. Thanks for keeping us posted.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.