TV Fault - Laskys Online (Comet)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a Panasonic 42” LED TV that I purchased new in February 2011 (making it around 3.5 years old).

This TV has recently developed a column of “stuck pixels”, which are mostly a blue/purple colour,

but goes yellow a few CM from the bezel at the top and bottom.

The yellow pixels change to the same blue/purple colour after the TV has been on for about an hour and has warmed up.

It looks like a vertical line, but actually seems to be some kind of alternating pattern of stuck pixels when viewed up close.

Online research tell me that the fault is most likely to be in the LCD panel itself, meaning that a repair would be cost prohibitive.

The other issue I face is that I was going to pursue claiming the TV has not lasted ‘a reasonable amount of time’ under the Sale of Goods Act.

However, as the SOGA is aimed at retailers, and I purchased the TV online from Laskys (which was owned by the now defunct Comet),

I really don’t know where I stand with this (probably without a leg to stand on at all I guess!).

Does anyone have experience of anything like this?

Could I even go to Panasonic direct and take this up?

I am peeved as I am really quite fond of the TV, and it has only seen light-medium use in the 3.5 years of its life.

Modern Panasonic mid-range equivalents have seemed to dropped connectivity (only 2 HDMI’s as opposed to the 4 I have on my TV)

and I can’t really afford to fork out for a new TV right now anyway.

Help and advice appreciated.

Hi JHuntlley

Welcome to CAG

Yes you can contact Panasonic, the retailer is your first contact, the manufacturer is your second contact if the retailer has gone bust. Under SOGA 1979 the product has to last for a reasonable period of time, amend the following template, send it Recorded Delivery to Panasonic. Send some proof of purchase.

Customer Services

Panasonic UK

Panasonic House,

Willoughby Road,

Bracknell, Berkshire,

RG12 8FP

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/letter-to-ask-for-a-faulty-item-to-be-repaired-or-replaced-

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

How did you pay for it? Credit Card?

Let us know what they say.

Hi Jhutley

It probably has been delivered, but Royal Mail aren't great at updating their system. Not a priority.

Give them a call just to check if they have received it.

Posted letter last Wednesday. Royal Mail tracking number showing as not delivered! Gonna send a second letter today.

Check the address with them. You could send it Special Delivery, Royal Mail do actually track them.

Claim your monies back from Royal Mail for their failure to deliver the first letter.

No correspondence received from my postcode they tell me... back in the post it goes!

Hi JHuntley

They probably have loads of mail delivered each day, so probably sign for it in bulk. Email it to:-

Mr Andrew Denham

Managing Director

Panasonic UK

[email protected]

Ok... So I don't really know what to make of this, but the 2nd letter (posted 22nd of Oct) is also showing as not yet delivered, along with the first one. The second letter was sent from a different post office.

From Royal Mail tracking page tonight...

I'm skeptical that both have actually gone missing... that said, I recently sold an item on eBay that was sent Signed For on the 20th. I know that the recipient received the item, but that is still showing as undelivered.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mr Hutley,

Thank you for your email dated the 29th of October 2014 concerning your Panasonic TX-L42E30B television and the service you have received. Your email addressed to the Managing Director has been passed to the undersigned for response.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies that you have not received any response to your previous correspondence. I am further disappointed to hear that you are dissatisfied with your Panasonic TX-L42E30B television and the development of a fault within the product.

Panasonic offers a repair service via a network of Authorised Service Centres who are able to affect a repair both inside and outside of guarantee. Full details of these agents are available to view on our website at (LINK REMOVED FOR POST LIMITATIONS). To assist you I have listed details of your closest centre below:

GWYNNE TV & ELECTRICAL SERVICES LTD

16-20 Benfield Way

Braintree

CM7 3YS

tel: 0845 6340293

Email: EMAIL REMOVED FOR POST LIMITATIONS

web: gwynne-tv.co.uk

The product is supplied with the manufacturer's standard one year guarantee at the time of purchase, and in response to your reference of the Sales of Goods Act, I would advise that any liability under this act lies with the retailer and does not transfer to the manufacturer. Unfortunately given that more than two years have elapsed since the manufacturer's guarantee expired Panasonic would not seek to offer assistance towards the cost of repair. You would therefore remain liable for the cost of any repair work undertaken.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and can only apologise for any disappointment which may have been caused. Of course if you should have any further queries then please do not hesitate to contact me and I will endeavour to assist.

Yours sincerely,

Paul Gutteridge

Managing Director Correspondent

Panasonic UK

Helpline: 0344 844 3899

Fax: 01344 853213

Panasonic UK, a branch of Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH

Registered Office: Panasonic House, Willoughby Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 8FP, UK

Registered in England & Wales - Branch No. BR015033

That's not's helpful of them. You paid by Debit Card, was it Visa Debit?

If you've got a Twitter / Facebook account, take pics of the faulty pixels,

hit their Twitter / Facebook account.

Manufacturers do offer 5 years warranties.

The reply received via email is posted above... they can dream on if they think I'll take my TV to those con-artists at Gwynne TV!

Not helpful, but no less than what I was expecting. I know manufacturers offer the 5 year warranties, but no such warranty was given or implied with my TV (perhaps foolish on my behalf).

I don't really fancy going down the whole brand shaming route through twitter. It does look like my PayPal transaction was made from my Visa Debit card. Does this offer any protection then?

Unforetunately not. Have other customers encountered the same problem on the same model?

Not helpful, but no less than what I was expecting. I know manufacturers offer the 5 year warranties, but no such warranty was given or implied with my TV (perhaps foolish on my behalf).

I don't really fancy going down the whole brand shaming route through twitter. It does look like my PayPal transaction was made from my Visa Debit card. Does this offer any protection then?