• Tweets

• The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
    • Monika the first four pages of the Private parking section have at least 12 of our members who have also been caught out on this scam site. That's around one quarter of all our current complaints. Usually we might expect two current complaints for the same park within 4 pages.  So you are in good company and have done well in appealing to McDonalds in an effort to resolve the matter without having  paid such a bunch of rogues. Most people blindly pay up. Met . Starbucks and McDonalds  are well aware of the situation and seem unwilling to make it easier for motorists to avoid getting caught. For instance, instead of photographing you, if they were honest and wanted you  to continue using their services again, they would have said "Excuse me but if you are going to go to Mc donalds from here, it will cost you £100." But no they kett quiet and are now pursuing you for probably a lot more than £100 now. They also know thst  they cannot charge anything over the amount stated on the car park signs. Their claims for £160 or £170 are unlawful yet so many pay that to avoid going to Court. When the truth is that Met are unlikely to take them to Court since they know they will lose. The PCNs are issued on airport land which is covered by Byelaws so only the driver can be pursued, not the keeper. But they keep writing to you as they do not know who was driving unless you gave it away when you appealed. Even if they know you were driving they should still lose in Court for several reasons. The reason we ask you to fill out our questionnaire is to help you if MET do decide to take you to Court in the end. Each member who visited the park may well have different experiences while there which can help when filling out a Witness statement [we will help you with that if it comes to it.] if you have thrown away the original PCN  and other paperwork you obviously haven't got a jerbil or a guinea pig as their paper makes great litter boxes for them.🙂 You can send an SAR to them to get all the information Met have on you to date. Though if you have been to several sites already, you may have done that by now. In the meantime, you will be being bombarded by illiterate debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors all threatening you with ever increasing amounts as well as being hung drawn and quartered. Their letters can all be safely ignored. On the odd chance that you may get a Letter of Claim from them just come back to us and we will get you to send a snotty letter back to them so that they know you are not happy, don't care a fig for their threats and will see them off in Court if they finally have the guts to carry on. If you do have the original PCN could you please post it up, carefully removing your name. address and car registration number but including dates and times. If not just click on the SAR to take you to the form to send to Met.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Forgot my railcard discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Mere as the OP stated she had already been asked to pay the full standard fare therefore the PF was only levied after she could not/would not pay the full fare.

Even the evening standards article states very clearly: ''Provided always that you do pay the normal single fare, the chances are that any threats made against you, particularly of criminal prosecution, are hollow'.

The rest of the article is nothing new, although it may well be useful to the more savvy traveller, any half decent inspection staff will also know all of this and wouldn't demand a PF if they were not confident this was the appropriate action anyway, but you never know -I'm sure some have been issued incorrectly over the past 20 years.

I am not sure of the validity of their claim that as long you you pay the full std fare you can refuse a PF however since PF stations make it part of the conditions of travel everyone has to agree to to accept they are in force, if passengers can pick & choose which conditions or bylaws they agree to it seems farcical to even have them?

Since the OP has not paid the full standard fare which was required at the point her invalid ticket was detected, she was issued a PF for failure to show a valid ticket and failure to pay the full fare due.

This means the threat of prosecution is still valid, the fare hasn't been paid and neither has the penalty fare.

'Castle Cary' and 'June' means 'Glasto festival' to me -forgive me if I'm wrong- and that means enhanced ticket checks with proper full time RPIs etc so if the PF was levied there it will in all probability be absolutely correct.

YP railcard fraud is rife at travel to such festivals and I am sure IF it was the case the OP was dealt with at CCary by such staff at this festival then they would have 1st have satisfied themselves that no fraud was intended.

The TOC asked for a the full fare at the time and it wasn't paid.

They levied a penalty fare

If that isn't paid what else would you expect them to do?

I would again urge the OP to contact the TOC regarding this and ask for time to pay, it's worth going Rebel11s route of course also -they may well deal with it as a goodwill gesture you never know.

Well I read the article differently and my interpretation is that no court is going to criminalise the OP for forgetting a railcard so where does that leave the TOC.

That said it's how the OP reads it and feels about the situation that really counts.

I am happy to have put the info out there and leave it at that.

You probably have nothing to worry about. Read this.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/10-ways-to-avoid-penalty-fares-on-trains-6762684.html

That article was written by Mr Gilligan more than 5 years ago and many people since have found to their cost that relying on a journalists' 'advice' concerning how to avoid a Penalty Fare, which is flawed in some areas, does not equate to a defence for an offence of failing, or refusing to pay a rail fare.

The best thing that I can suggest the OP considers first is the Terms & Conditions accepted when they applied for and obtained a Railcard.

Condition 6. You must carry your Railcard with you on your journey and when asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Railcard. If you fail to do so, you will be required to pay the full price Standard Single fare for your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting the journey and in some cases a Penalty Fare.

Leaving aside any argument as to whether any of us feel it is morally justified, the fact is that an opportunity was given for the OP to pay the fare due under the rules (which had been previously advised and accepted) and that opportunity was not taken up. The next thing that the rail company will consider will be the travellers' reaction to being asked to pay the fare due.

Legislation makes clear that if any traveller fails, or refuses to pay the fare due, action may be taken to pursue that matter.

That article was written by Mr Gilligan more than 5 years ago and many people since have found to their cost that relying on a journalists' 'advice' concerning how to avoid a Penalty Fare, which is flawed in some areas, does not equate to a defence for an offence of failing, or refusing to pay a rail fare.

The best thing that I can suggest the OP considers first is the Terms & Conditions accepted when they applied for and obtained a Railcard.

Condition 6. You must carry your Railcard with you on your journey and when asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Railcard. If you fail to do so, you will be required to pay the full price Standard Single fare for your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting the journey and in some cases a Penalty Fare.

Leaving aside any argument as to whether any of us feel it is morally justified, the fact is that an opportunity was given for the OP to pay the fare due under the rules (which had been previously advised and accepted) and that opportunity was not taken up. The next thing that the rail company will consider will be the travellers' reaction to being asked to pay the fare due.

Legislation makes clear that if any traveller fails, or refuses to pay the fare due, action may be taken to pursue that matter.

What you are quoting is terms and conditions right. Let's be absolutely clear that doesn't mean they are lawful. I bet Wonga had terms and conditions that applied to all those loans they wrote off.

Terms and conditions are a nice little earner for the operators of monopolies. It makes no commercial sense for a TOC to rock that boat by having their legality scrutinised in court for the sake of screwing one traveller.

What you are quoting is terms and conditions right. Let's be absolutely clear that doesn't mean they are lawful. I bet Wonga had terms and conditions that applied to all those loans they wrote off.

Terms and conditions are a nice little earner for the operators of monopolies. It makes no commercial sense for a TOC to rock that boat by having their legality scrutinised in court for the sake of screwing one traveller.

Mere, have you considered that OCJ speaks from the position of "having the legalities scrutinised in court" on a regular basis?

Additionally that each case involves "one traveller" and the court looks at each case and the situation regarding each case?

If you were correct, the TOC's would never take any individual to court, or if they did, would never succeed in a prosecution.

Yet, they can, and do, suggesting your logic is flawed.

I have no intention of re-opening your thread (which was closed by the site team) either directly or by proxy.

I (merely?) wish to point out ;

a) your thread got closed down way more quickly on the other forum

b) 6 pages of poorly argued contradiction shows you have a "bee in your bonnet" that might be blinding you to reason

c) OCJ has many years experience of doing just what you claim the TOC's won't do.

Additionally, since I noticed elsewhere about the vague nature of your posting : when you cite that journalists article : precisely which means / point of law do you feel the OP of THIS thread should the OP rely on for your advice to be valid?. Go ahead, be precise & "put your money where your mouth is". Anyone can post a link, why not justify why, by the details.......

It is is fair enough if you choose to put yourself at risk by refusing to listen to good advice : your choice at your risk.

Others should have the relevant info to judge your advice against OCJ's ..... before they rely on the risk of following your poor advice.

Without getting involved in any spat, it strikes me as fundamentally unfair if a passenger has a ticket, forgets their railcard, but can subsequently prove they do have the entitlement to travel at the reduced rate. Whatever the T&Cs, one ought be able reasonably to rely on the train company to demonstrate some common sense: these are not fare dodgers. I don't think the CAG community should be unsympathetic in these circumstances.

Without getting involved in any spat, it strikes me as fundamentally unfair if a passenger has a ticket, forgets their railcard, but can subsequently prove they do have the entitlement to travel at the reduced rate. Whatever the T&Cs, one ought be able reasonably to rely on the train company to demonstrate some common sense: these are not fare dodgers. I don't think the CAG community should be unsympathetic in these circumstances.

I'm not unsympathetic.

I can see a case for why the TOC should take "a strict line".

Bear in mind I'm not suggesting for a moment that the OP has done this.

Person A has a railcard, and buys a reduced rate ticket.

Person B then gets person A to buy a 2nd ticket, again at reduced rate.

They travel on the same service, in seperate carriages.

Person B, when their ticket is inspected, says "I've forgotten my railcard", and gives person A's details.

Person A shows their railcard.

The TOC then writes to person A, who says "but I have a railcard!", and sends in a copy.

The TOC can't tell that it was person B who didn't show the railcard, not person A, as they don't compare photos.

Possibly why the TOC have the T&C's they do, and act as they do.

They should apply common sense & leniency, but will look at the whole scenario, which might include asking "is that service known high risk for railcard abuse". Given the comments in timbo's post : that assessment for that service might be hardening their attitude.

Mere, have you considered that OCJ speaks from the position of "having the legalities scrutinised in court" on a regular basis?

Additionally that each case involves "one traveller" and the court looks at each case and the situation regarding each case?

If you were correct, the TOC's would never take any individual to court, or if they did, would never succeed in a prosecution.

Yet, they can, and do, suggesting your logic is flawed.

I have no intention of re-opening your thread (which was closed by the site team) either directly or by proxy.

I (merely?) wish to point out ;

a) your thread got closed down way more quickly on the other forum

b) 6 pages of poorly argued contradiction shows you have a "bee in your bonnet" that might be blinding you to reason

c) OCJ has many years experience of doing just what you claim the TOC's won't do.

Additionally, since I noticed elsewhere about the vague nature of your posting : when you cite that journalists article : precisely which means / point of law do you feel the OP of THIS thread should the OP rely on for your advice to be valid?. Go ahead, be precise & "put your money where your mouth is". Anyone can post a link, why not justify why, by the details.......

It is is fair enough if you choose to put yourself at risk by refusing to listen to good advice : your choice at your risk.

Others should have the relevant info to judge your advice against OCJ's ..... before they rely on the risk of following your poor advice.

I don't know where your experience of commercial life comes from but companies don't go to court on points of principle which is often the only thing at stake when the amount is (for them) trivial. If it involved something like assault on staff that's an entirely different thing altogether.

You seem to be bringing past baggage to this discussion. I'm not going there with you.

I don't know where your experience of commercial life comes from but companies don't go to court on points of principle which is often the only thing at stake when the amount is (for them) trivial. If it involved something like assault on staff that's an entirely different thing altogether.

You seem to be bringing past baggage to this discussion. I'm not going there with you.

Yup, I've definitely got past baggage from your previous thread : either you are a troll, or are stupid enough to ignore good advice. That deserves to be brought to any thread where you are putting other people (rather than you) at risk by your poor advice.

Moving back to this thread : you still can't get past the fact that TOC's do take people to court in just those circumstances you say they wouldn't.....

Assault on staff should be prosecuted, but it isn't prosecuted under Bylaw 18 or S5 RRA 1889.

According to you : they won't prosecute "on principle" where the amount is trivial .... Yet we have seen the threads here where the fare avoided was £1.60

You keep reiterating "they won't!", yet the evidence is that they can, and do.

Why? Even for small amounts?? As "it is the principal form of dishonesty to affect public transport", and "pour discouragee les autres".

There is a legal basis for that "sympathy" and that "common sense". It's call a purposive interpretation of the law.

What you seem to get in this forum is a literalist interpretation given context free which seems to extend now to terms and conditions which mean jack if they are unlawful (google "office of fair trading unfair terms in consumer contracts").

Under a purposive interpretation of the law (which judges are free to apply) a judge can ask whether the law the TOC is trying to benefit from is being put to it's intended purpose. i.e was this law enacted to enable a TOC prosecute and criminalize a person who forgot their railcard and if he takes that approach and doesn't think it was the TOC are not going to win.

Your might think your not paying is just a trivial amount but add together all those that do as you have done and you can bet the total is in the millions.

What you are saying is I can help myself to a packet of Polo from the local grocer as he wont' miss that much.

P.S. I don't think it's called 'common sense' I think it's called, not being ripped off by the public.

discussion thread created here

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Oh sorry, I forgot my wallet so I took the Polo but they won't take me to court for such a piddling amount and I won't be paying.

Or as a counterexample.

People die, or have their livelihoods ruined as a consequence of the operation of a motor vehicle by an unlicensed person. It almost trivialises the consequences of fare evasion.

Yet in this country you are not criminalised/prosecuted for forgetting your drivers license , you are given a chance to produce it.

Yet in this country you are not criminalised/prosecuted for forgetting your drivers license , you are given a chance to produce it.

Poor example.

Neither the law (nor the "terms & conditions" I accept a driving licence under) require me to carry my driver's license.

Hence you can't compare the two situations.

Poor example.

Neither the law (nor the "terms & conditions" I accept a driving licence under) require me to carry my driver's license.

Actually I'm pretty sure you are required to carry your driver's license. It's just that the prescription for what happens when you don't is a producer.

What this response ignores is the fact that it is not the T&Cs that will be tested in a Magistrates Court, it is the alleged offence that may be charged which will be examined there.

As the man widely recognised as 'the people's Judge' and a former Master of the Rolls, Lord Denning put it, the defendant will only be judged on his words & actions at the time of an alleged offence. (It might also be worth remembering that his Lordship spent a considerable part of his early career as a Barrister dealing with railways fare evasion matters.)

In the OP's case, at the time of travel, the traveller failed to show a valid ticket when asked (discounted ticket without supporting Railcard = no valid ticket) and also failed to pay the fare due when asked.

If a Penalty Fare Notice was issued, that means that the traveller was handed a printed notice giving 21 days to pay that fare, or successfully appeal the liability. If the traveller has failed to do either within the 21 days, the TOC is at liberty to cancel the civil remedy (the Penalty Fare) and to pursue an offence. If the fare is unpaid after 21 days, the TOC's agents will usually send a reminder letter, although they are not obliged to do so, and that letter will advise that the right to appeal has no been forfeit, but the company will seek payment.

If that remains unpaid, the Penalty Fares Rules as defined by The Railways Act makes provision for such a notice to be cancelled and prosecution may ensue.

Now, let's return to Lord Denning's words and examine the example here because that is the crux of what might be alleged by summons and in any ensuing Court action

The traveller may well say that they had paid the correct fare due

The prosecutor may say that the traveller failed to show a ticket confirming that the correct fare had been previously paid and showed a ticket indicating only that a lesser fare had been paid, but did not produce evidence of entitlement to that lesser fare. They will also say that the traveller was asked to pay the correct fare due in the circumstances, but failed to do so.

The prosecutor will say that the traveller was also handed a notice asking them to pay the fare a for second time and that the notice, which the traveller accepted and signed as understood, remained unpaid.

If the traveller had paid the fare when asked, or successfully appealed the notice within the 21 days allowed, the matter would have been dealt with and no action could ensue.

I do believe that in attempting to give guidance for a user's query on a forum such as this, we should explain what the letter they have received appears to indicate

I think my earlier post made clear that we ought to leave aside any personal beliefs regarding moral justification and should recognise that a Magistrates Court is not the place which will examine and rule on commercial terms & conditions, although comment might be made by the Bench in delivering their verdict.

Whether the OP has reached the point at which a Summons might be issued and if so, whether or not they decide to pay any penalty option that may still be available to them, or wait to see if a Court date is notified and then mount their defence is entirely a matter for the OP.

All we can do really is to put forward from experience what has happened in the past and therefore, what may happen in the future.

Maybe the TOC will decide not to pursue action, but we cannot be sure.

• Haha 2

Just for clarification on this discussion could you please provide us with a link to your fact

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks