HARLOW123

Housing benefit - council claiming an overpayment but its not!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1882 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hi,

back in 2010 we qualified for and claimed housing benefit. In October of the same year we had to move from one borough to another because we needed to be close to a relative who required care.

At the same time we received a renewal form for HB and due to us leaving I did not renew, thinking we wouldnt require it and it would be cancelled.

Within a couple of months the council had sent a letter saying we now owed over £4500 in HB (because the renewal form had not been returned). i tried to explain the situation (ie thinking the claim would be cancelled - something i planned to do but they would not listen.)

how do i go about rectifying this?

thanks in advance for any help offered!

how was your HB paid? Money into an account or a reduction of rent/CT?

using the current online hb calculator that that council offers with the information we had at the time it still generates the same outcome ie we qualified for benefits

were you claiming hb from the new borough?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Presumably you continued to receive the benefit after you moved?

If so then you have been overpaid.

Presumably you continued to receive the benefit after you moved?

If so then you have been overpaid.

no, the period in question was from jan to oct

were you claiming hb from the new borough?

it was a while back but the overpayment was due to not providing the information in october, so any period afterwards wasnt relevant - i moved from one council to another one

i think (in hindsight) if i had sent the information through in october and told them i was moving and didnt require hb anymore there wouldnt be an issue.

Ask for a recon for the period and provide the evidence as it sounds like you would have been entitled. If a recon is too late ask for a late appeal.

Ask for a recon for the period and provide the evidence as it sounds like you would have been entitled. If a recon is too late ask for a late appeal.

thanks, will do. whats a recon by the way?

if you are receiving hb from a council you have a duty to notify them of changes that affect your benefit

as you did not respond or tell them when you moved - they may assume you moved out earlier or were never there

what was the date of the overpayment decision? you normally have one month to challenge the decision - or a further 12 months for a late challenge

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.