• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Has anyone been contacted by wonga to write off their loan?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not the length of time you had the loan, but the circumstances surrounding the opening of the account and granting of the loan that decides if your loan is wiped or not.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

its such a farse they tell you not to make any more payments so my hubby mailed them back and asked them to cancel cpa as payment was due on 15th rec you have been affected email on the 10th .they took payment anyway then came back as of today to say they cancelled cpa bit late was last payment

they then send email saying you cancelled cpa and didn't pay but they took the payment have now given hem 24 hours to resolve before we seek legal action and fca its such a nightmare

I've been contacted - it was on the 10th - nice surprise! I was in a payment arrangement and have cancelled the CPA. I thought it was odd because I tried to make the first payment with the bank details they gave me and it didn't go through but they didn't phone for late payment either. (This was before I had the email).

Hi guys. Ive been dealing with Wonga on behalf of a friend (see my post). She had an email from Wonga saying her debt had been cancelled. Four days after that she received a letter defaulting her and demanding the full outstanding amount.

Dear Wonga, I refer you to your original letter......................:lol:

Just the typical behaviour one would expect from a PDL, make sure you inform the FCA about the blunder, while it won't do much on its own the more people report errors in wongas handling of FCA imposed sanctions the harsher future FCA sanctions will be.

I got an e-mail on the 10th saying I had been affected. I have had 6 loans one after the other and paid them back on time. When I applied for another on Oct 2nd I was refused on the grounds that I didn't meet the new criteria.

I must admit I was kicking myself for not hanging on with payment for a couple of days as I would have been given a 4 month payment plan minus interest and fees. I phoned them today to ask what I could expect back and was told it would be about £56 in connection with my last loan. That is better than nothing so I am pleased, but the previous loans have been taken out on the same day that I repaid the one before and my circumstances were the same with each one.

Would I have grounds to claim a fees and interest refund on all of them? In my case that would amount to well over £300.

Yes, Nao, I think I will wait until I have received the refund they have agreed that they owe and then use that admission, along with the refusal on the grounds of not meeting their lending criteria, to try to claim the rest.

I am a little relieved that they said no to any more loans as I was getting into a spiral of debt - it left me in a financial hole over the last couple of weeks but I have been able to juggle things around and if that £56 comes through soon then I will be OK. Lesson learned.

I received this on the 10th for a loan of £914...

We can confirm that you have been affected.

What happens next

We will automatically clear any outstanding debt you have with us and your balance will be set to zero. This will be done by the end of October 2014. You do not need to do anything.

We are working with the relevant credit reference agencies to remove records relating to this loan from your credit report. We expect this will take between three to four weeks to be completed. This will be done automatically and there is no further action required from you.

:-D

That is very good news Puma.

IMHO, I would now investigate whether there is a Credit Union near you and consider trying to save at least £5.00 per month with them. You would then be able to take out small loans at reasonable interest which would keep you out of the clutches of PDLs !

http://www.findyourcreditunion.co.uk/home

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I received an email regarding a loan of £1711 advising me they are clearing any outstanding balance and would correct my credit report by the end of october, it hasn't yet been cleared, anyone know when this is happening and what it will show on my credit report? Settled, satisfied or just not show on there?

I received an email regarding a loan of £1711 advising me they are clearing any outstanding balance and would correct my credit report by the end of october, it hasn't yet been cleared, anyone know when this is happening and what it will show on my credit report? Settled, satisfied or just not show on there?

It is my understanding it can take up to 4 weeks for credit files to be amended. You might like to contact the CRAs yourself and provide them with a copy of the email to see if they will act quicker.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It should be completely removed.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

• 1 month later...

hi

Received this email today from Wonga

As we look to improve our technology, we're moving to a new operating system. Your loan will not be moved to this system and, as a result, your outstanding balance has been closed. You do not need to make any further payments.

We recommend you contact your bank to cancel any payment instructions, such as Standing Orders. Any amount that you repay to us from 25/11/2014 will be refunded to you.

Thank you for being a Wonga customer.

Yippeee

be careful. That reply is very vaguely worded.

janes, that is excellent news - do ensure you keep the email safe - print off a hard copy and also save the original somewhere in your computer.

BCOBS

Jane i got the same email

Information about your loan

Dear Mrs xxxxxx

As we look to improve our technology, we're moving to a new operating system. Your loan will not be moved to this system and, as a result, your outstanding balance has been closed. You do not need to make any further payments.

We recommend you contact your bank to cancel any payment instructions, such as Standing Orders. Any amount that you repay to us from 26/11/2014 will be refunded to you.

Thank you for being a Wonga customer. If you have any questions please call us on xxxxxxxxx.

Best wishes,

Customer Care

wonga.com

If you are in a position of Bankruptcy, you have entered into an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) or your debt is being managed through a Debt Management Company, you'll need to inform the person managing your debt that you no longer owe this money

I am wondering if they have worded the email due to pressure from Pay day loan companies. if they say they should not have lent the money as they did not complete affordability checks, would it open the flood gates for people to claim against other PDL. In my case I took out several at the same time so I may have had a case.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this on Monday? I don't recall seeing the email they sent about writing off my debt, but I assume this means I am one of the 'chosen' who have been written off?

We emailed you in November about changes to our lending criteria as a result of an announcement from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and how they affect you.

We confirmed either that your outstanding debt with us has been cleared and your balance has been set to zero, or that you would not have to repay interest and fees.

We can now confirm that we have been in contact with the credit reference agencies and all entries relating to your affected loan have now been removed from your credit record. We're putting your record back to the position it would have been in if you had not taken the loan.

If you have any queries and would like to speak to someone from our customer care team, please call us on 0207 138 8330. We're here to help 24 hours a day, every day.

Important reminder - if you are still making any payments via Standing Order or via a Debt Management Company, please stop making these payments.