Outlook Express - Message returned to sender !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I use Outlook Express for my email - over the course of today I have received something like 80 x "Mail Delivery System " messages to my inbox.

On the first couple received this morning, I checked to see which of my messages had not been delivered.. but they were emails I did not recognise and do not have in my address book - so I am assuming these are SPAM. I have not opened the attachments.

Below is the message in the body of the email .. not the attachment.

This is the mail system at host smtp.pobroadband.co.uk.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message couldnot be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You candelete your own text from the attached returned message.

How can I stop these, they are driving me absolutely potty.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Chances are some bot out there is using faking headers and using your email address (just the address, not your server). Not a lot you can do about this except filtering the rejection notices to your spam folder.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks guys for your input.

I haven't opened any attachments, Conniff - however, it now looks like my Outlook might be corrupted in some way - I keep getting prompted for my password, despite having ticked the box for it to be remembered.

Emails are now no longer being received or sent...

This happened a few months ago, for the life of me, I cannot remember what I did to fix it :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It usually only prompts for your password if it has been changed. Its worth checking that your actual inbox has not been hacked. They could be sending this Spam from your email address directly. Is this a gmail or hotmail account?

It usually only prompts for your password if it has been changed. Its worth checking that your actual inbox has not been hacked. They could be sending this Spam from your email address directly. Is this a gmail or hotmail account?

Outlook express, swoosh.

I haven't changed my password.

Earlier on today I was able to use the Post office server account to open my emails.. but now even that is telling me I have an incorrect password, so I really don't know what is going on. I tried phoning the Post office earlier today, but after an hour on hold listening to someone telling me how important my call is and that they have a high volume of calls - I gave up. I will try first thing tomorrow.

BCOBS

How would I know if my inbox has been hacked ?

none of the addresses within the emails are addresses that I know ?

BCOBS

Oh shoot, I have just read how I can tell if my account has been hacked.. :(

BCOBS

Outlook Express is simply a viewer of your emails, they will be stored on a server elsewhere. You should be able to type in a URL in the address bar to gain direct access to your emails. From your post it sounds like you know this and are unable to access this with your password. So it does sound like it may have been hacked. Attempt to do a password reset if the option is available.

When logged in, you should be able to access and outbox here which will show all the emails that have been sent directly at the source as opposed to through Express.

Outlook Express is simply a viewer of your emails, they will be stored on a server elsewhere. You should be able to type in a URL in the address bar to gain direct access to your emails. From your post it sounds like you know this and are unable to access this with your password. So it does sound like it may have been hacked. Attempt to do a password reset if the option is available.

When logged in, you should be able to access and outbox here which will show all the emails that have been sent directly at the source as opposed to through Express.

Yes, the Post office server, where I was accessing my emails when OE started playing up - is now no longer available to me. I tried contacting the Post office, but apparently they have an "unusual number of calls" so I spent an hour just listening to the recorded message.. will try again tomorrow :(

BCOBS

Finally got through to the Post office at 09.12 this morning, having been holding for well over an hour and listening again to the automated voice tell me how important my call is and that they are experiencing high volumes of calls, again. Just that statement on a loop, over and over and over - How is that customer service - it stresses people out before they even get to speak to a representative and when they are reading from a script and wont answer your questions.. that is a recipe for anger.. !!

- they are sending me out a manual password change letter - it will take between 3 - 5 working days!! He can see that my account has been compromised but he can’t/won’t do anything about it. Then went on to say that I shouldn’t open any suspicious email.

1: It wasn’t suspicious until I received nearly 150 of the same email

2: It was a return to sender / not able to deliver email report. I had to open the bloody thing in order to see what email I had sent wasn’t delivered. I did NOT open the attachment.

It takes a lot to reduce me to tears.. and this has.

I am convinced that the problem is at the Post office end though.. purely based on the fact that I have never ever waited so long to get through to their customer service department. Usually 5 minutes maximum.

They are usually very helpful and can resolve a query reasonably swiftly.

This time, I have spent over 2 hours on two separate days - with their own admission that they are receiving unusually high volume of calls ( were these other people having the same problem ? - although I could find no evidence of this on the internet).

Aside from which, I spoke to someone who announced himself as "Post office admin" - not a techy person - but one who was obviously reading from a script.

BCOBS