• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

freddie vs. lloyds

freddieireland
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

morning all, i am at the stage where lloyds have acknowledged my case against them and have until nov. 22nd to issue their defence. It seems they are drawing it out more and more, demanding stays from the court to give them more time etc. Am I right in thinking sometimes they dont actually give you a court date due to them having such a back log?? i'm not in too much of a hurry but don't want this to go on endlessly! And are there any recorded incidents that anyone knows of of lloyds issuing counter claims? though i read that somewhere on this site.

No, they have never issued a counter-claim as far as I am aware. Its hard to imagion what they could counterclaim for, unless they were going to reveal their true costs and counterclaim for their liquidated damages - in other words, it ain't gonna happen!

Their is a backlog in the court system, and yes, some cases have been stayed. There are two reasons for this; a) The 1 month postponement to 'negotiate settlement' that Lloyds sols ask for in their allocation questionnaire gets granted, or b) the courts order a stay to await the outcome of a test case (which incidently, will probably never even be heard)

In the case of a) their is'nt much you can do, apart from send Lloyds a letter saying 'well go on then..... negotiate!! Its only a month anyway, so thats not too bad, the real bummer is if you get stayed as per b), which is unlikely, but if it did happen you can apply to get the stay removed.

The main thing is just to be patient, and be prepared for each next stage by reading up as much as you can, particularly the 'won' threads in the Lloyds successes forum. The stage you're at now your probably looking at another couple of months in all, but just think of all the interest mounting up!

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

thanks gary that's very helpful. The only trouble with reading the 'won' threads is that there are fewer recent ones, it seems that the criteria has changed since the glorious victories of 'reload', 'mjanet' et al. Those could be termed the golden years in comparison to the current bureaucratic nightmare! I think you're right, patience is the key. Thanks again

Yes, to be fair the whole process is being streched further nowadays. They still pay every single claim though remember, its just that now they leave it as late as they can - presumably in the hope that people will drop out. They used to pay up around the time of the AQ return date, now its likely not to be untill a few weeks before the court date, after compliance with the courts directions.

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

thanks again Gary. Also, what is the standard time frame to get a court date once lloyds have issued their defence and its got to the AQ stage? its probably area dependent I would presume but an approximation would be great. And if it does go to court (or they draw it out until the day of court) will I have to furnish their solicitors SC&M and the court with all the details of my case (that I intend to use in court) or is it only the defence that has to do this? Sorry to keep pestering

Not at all - its what we're here for.

Once they file a defence, you'll then get the AQ which you will fill in and hand back within 2 weeks. It will then go before a district judge who will allocate a track (small claims), a date, and issue directions. The date is dependant on individual courts as you say, but on average at the moment I'd say its about 2-3 months.

The specific directions will depend on the judge, but typically you will be ordered to file and serve your shedule of charges, your statements, any evidance you wish to rely on (ie the McNamara interview) and the relevant cases and statutes. Typically you would have to furnish this up to 14 days before the hearing, but in most cases its sooner that this, sometimes within a couple of weeks of the directions being ordered. It seems daunting, but Bookworm has put together a court bundle with pretty much everything you need, and this makes it pretty straightforward really. You'll find this in the templates library.

Its around the deadline for compliance with the directions that Lloyds will pay up.

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all

I recieved a copy of lloyds' defence yesterday and I have just filled in my allocation questionairre, typically how long can I expect to wait before receiving a copy of their allocation questionairre? Or should it have arrived with their Defence(it didn't)? And lastly, is it worth starting a dialogue with their solicitors (Sechiari, Mitchell and Clarke) at this stage to attempt settlement or should I just hand in the AQ, sit back and wait for a hearing?

Thanks in advance

Freddie

Morning all

I recieved a copy of lloyds' defence yesterday and I have just filled in my allocation questionairre, typically how long can I expect to wait before receiving a copy of their allocation questionairre? Or should it have arrived with their Defence(it didn't)? And lastly, is it worth starting a dialogue with their solicitors (Sechiari, Mitchell and Clarke) at this stage to attempt settlement or should I just hand in the AQ, sit back and wait for a hearing?

Thanks in advance

Freddie

Please stick to one thread for this claim it makes it easier for us to answer your questions.

Morning all

Thanks in advance

Freddie

Hi Freddie

I think SCM usually send a copy of the AQ with the defence. However they are not obliged to send it, it's only a "courtesy" if they do. You can ask them for a copy.

It's certainly worth starting a (written) dialogue. They will ignore you completely but at least you can then write to the court and prove that SCM are not negotiating, just wasting time

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

The deadline for SC&M to file their AQ to the court will be the same date you have to submit yours. You will receive a copy of theirs after they've filed it. I'd wait untill you get their AQ back before starting dialogue, but thats entirely up to you.

What was the defence by the way? Did you get the standard 9 point 'service charges' one, or the 14 point 'claim too vague'?

Hi all, I got the 9 pointer, guessing the only send the 'claim too vague' one if you dont send them the charges list? the court is in the street parallel to mine too which is a result. From your experience, does it look like lloyds are still asking for the 1 month stay?

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning, I've been a bit busy lately and today is my AQ deadline date so off to the court in a bit to hand it in. I still havent received a copy of Lloyds', would this be because I havent handed it in yet? Also just reading around a bit this morning, would it be fair to say that Lloyds appear to be settling quicker at last? Just reading Adamski's thread I thought I may have deteced this.

Hi

You will probably get a copy of LTSB's AQ in the next few days; did you send a copy of yours to the Solicitors?

Yes some cases have been settled slightly quicker recently, fingers crossed yours is too!

Good luck!

Barty:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

I agree, a couple of months ago they were'nt settling untill around the date set for document exchange, lately quite alot of claims are being settled around AQ return time again.

Thanks for this guys, I didnt send a copy of my AQ to their solicitors (gulp) is that likely to cause further delays?? In the documentation I received it never said to but now you mention it I remember reading on this site that it was a prudent thing to do.............drat!

Thanks for this guys, I didnt send a copy of my AQ to their solicitors (gulp) is that likely to cause further delays?? In the documentation I received it never said to but now you mention it I remember reading on this site that it was a prudent thing to do.............drat!

Don't worry.

It's a "polite" thing to do but it shouldn't cause any problems if you didn't.

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

Hi all, I just 'phoned the court to see if they had received Lloyds' AQ and was informed that they had but that I would not be receiving a copy, is this correct? Reading around I was sure that I would. The lady then said that the case has been referred to a Judge and I would be hearing from them which I guess is standard. Is there any time frame for the Judge's reply do you know? Given that my AQ deadline was the 6th Dec.

You should automatically receive a copy of Lloyd's AQ, I'd advise you to phone the court back and check this again, if they say the same then you should insist on a copy as it is your entitlement to see this.

As for it being refered to the judge, this is normal, the judge will then decide on what will happen next with regards to your claim, you will then be notified by the court.

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Hi

I might be wrong here, but I'm sure I received a copy of their AQ from SC&M not the court.

Barty:)

Thats right.

Freddie,

You should receive a copy from SC&M, although they don't have to send you one, as you don't have to send them a copy of yours.

You should receive a court date and directions within the next couple of weeks.

• 5 weeks later...

Morning all and a belated Happy new year, haven't been on for a while. I handed in my AQ on 5th Dec and still havent heard anything, I called the court again today and they advised me that they had a massive backlog (again, yawn) and thats why it was taking so long. I know i've asked before but now that more time has elapsed does anyone think its a good idea to call SC & M direct? And if so how's best to handle it? I dont want to go in all guns ablazing, saying how I know they've paid out before, its just I've read other threads where when they phone up SC&M they are told sometimes that a settlement letter is in the post. Thanks in advance.

No, don't ring them. You'll only get the run around. I used to advise people to call them if they missed a deadline for providing documents, but even in those circumstances its not a good idea. Let them do the chasing.