Barclay offered PPI refunded but wants to pay it to defaulted acct.

sandra05
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just received a letter from Barclays saying they offered a PPI refund in July 2012 for two visa cards

but i only queried these on 30/09/2014.

One is paid and closed but

the other is defaulted with them with a balance of £1800 and

they are offering £720 refund but they want to pay the full amount towards this balance.

I also have a transaction summary from them and on it it says this account is unenforceable.

My question is

o i accept the refund and advise them i am offer it to pay the account off as a full and final settlement to get rid of it,

or request they return the money to me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

you cant choose sadly

they can off set.

seems a bit low on the refund

when did yu take the cards out

and do you have all the statements?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Sandra,

I agree with DX - they are able to set off any refund to reduce the balance owed UNLESS they a/c has been sold on to a DCA.

If BC still own the a/c, I doubt they'll accept the PPI refund in full settlement of the a/c.

If you have your a/c statements for the a/c's, use a PPI spreadsheet to get an idea for yourself of what amounts you should expect as a refund for each a/c.

If you don't have the statements showing PPI, send a SAR to BC asap.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you for your reply

Card one was 2005 to 2008 when I paid and closed account.

Yes I have all statements.

The other was 2000 to 2014 but I only have statements from 2006 .

I went of work in 2011 when ppi was cancelled

but I am sure this was after I took ill up until then I had the odd late payment .

I cannot understand why they offered a refund in 2012 when I knew nothing about this.

did the card have PPI?

you need to sar them for the missing statements

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Sandra,

You can reclaim all penalty charges that were added to either of the card accounts.

If you already have ALL your statements from 2006, an SAR may not get you any more data as they tend to send stuff for the last 6 years. However, if you can afford the £10, do it and tell them specifically that you require ALL account data, not just for the last 6 years.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Apologies for the long delay but I am having major hassle with Halifax.

I have requested the return of charges and ppi from both accounts but got a final response saying that they will not consider anything going back more thank 6 years as they do not have to consider anything prior to this and their £12 are within the fair charges policy.

Is this correct?

no

that will be for the charges not the PPI ?

read a few threads here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?97-Barclays-BCard-and-Woolwich-successes

and they

Hi Sandra,

Did you asked them to refund penalty charges PLUS restitutionary interest at 24.9% using a compound interest spreadsheet.

Can you tell us over what periods (in approx years) you incurred penalty charges on each card a/c.

If you're willing to follow the example of others and take court action to recover charges, you may be able to wipe out the debt completely and still have money refunded to you on top.