• Tweets

• His financial situation isn’t great, and the landlord has made lots of things up. The things he’s put isn’t true at all. My friend did tell the full truth with incoming and outgoing, I helped him fill in his form and he checked bills etc. to make sure it was right. His wage is ok, but not as good as the landlord thinks it is,  and he doesn’t have anything spare. How much are they likely to take from him? Should he send any reply?  the letter just says to take the court letter with him. 
    • Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No  7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice' I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof?
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mupster v NatWest

Mupster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Letter received from Cobbetts dated January 17th.

Dear Madam

Our Client - National Westminster Bank Plc

We refer to the above matter.

Thank you for your letter 6 January 2007. (The one Deller posted on this thread for me). Upon consideration of the schedule you provided we note that you set out charges incurred on 03 November 2000. Under the Limitation Act 1980, you cannot bring a claim more than 6 years after the date on which the cause of action accrued. You issued your claim on 05 December 2006 (prelim letter dated 1st November 2006 so I included 3rd Nov 2000 quite legitimately I thought) and you are therefore only legally entitled to claim between the periods 05 Dec 2000 to 05 Dec 2006. As such, you cannot claim for the charges incurred before 05 Dec 2000, which from your schedule total £37.40 with interest. Are they right? At least they've LOOKED at the schedule.

Our client considers that your challenge to its charges would fail in Court. Our client believes that its charges are fair, reasonable and transparent. It considers that the amounts debited to your account have been applied strictly in accordance with your agreement with it and its published tariff. Our client is also commited to ensuring the transparency of the information that it gives its customers about the operation of its products. As such, our client does not believe that your claim has any prospect of succeeding. (Surely this is all about me claiming not because they charged me in the first place but because of the inproportionately high charges they levied?)

However, as a gesture of goodwill and strictly on the basis that our client rejects any liability to you, it is willing to offer you a goodwill payment of £950. (NatWest branch originally offered me £960 which I declined as per letter in templates - claim is for £1455 plus interest and court costs).

Acceptance by you of this goodwill payment will be in full and final settlement of your claim against our client and strictly on the basis that:-

1. you agree not to disclose to any third party the fact of, or any details relating to, this payment (is this a new thing I wonder?)

2. you write to the Court withdrawing your claim.

Whilst this letter is written without prejudice save as to costs, in the event that you decline this offer, we will draw this letter to the Court's attention on the basis that we hold the firm view that this offer is entirely reasonable in the circumstances. This offer will remain open for 7 days until Friday 12 January 2007. (So their offer closed before they actually wrote the letter on 17th Jan? Anyone got a time-travelling capsule I can borrow?)

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Cobbetts LLP

I would like to reply and have been mulling this over for a couple of days now, I don't want to just send off a letter written without due thought but I would appreciate any suggestions as to any important bits I should say. Also, are they correct in dismissing the first item on my claim? I thought I had done it correctly and sent the prelim letter as per template dated 1st November 2006 so I believed I could include this first charge?

I am sure this letter is fairly standard but it does seem to be a bit 'bullying' as if they are telling me my claim stands no chance in court etc etc.

Luckily for me I have such great friends on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;) Mupster

Don't worry Mupster I received exactly the same letter, they certainly try it on don't they. You are correct in thinking that your claim starts from the date you sent your preliminary letter. Send this as a response, it did the job for me!!

Thank you for your letter dated Xth January 2007.

I first contacted your client regarding their unlawful charges on XXth XXXXXX 2006 and therefore disagree with your contention that some of these charges fall outside the scope of the Limitations Act 1980. However I am happy to let the court decide on this matter.

Your client should consider themselves fortunate I have not claimed charges going further back, since I believe that any limitation would be overturned under the terms of section 32 of the Limitations Act, due to their continued "concealment" of the facts that their charges are unlawful, or for relief from a "mistake".

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, interest and court fees, which together with the daily rate of £0.XX now total £xxxx as of XXth January 2007.

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder.

I will be willing to withdraw my claim upon receipt of unconditional full settlement of my claim.

I am also not prepared to agree to any confidentiality clauses you try to impose, unless of course your client wishes to make an offer of due consideration in addition to the amount of £xxxxx, in order to be afforded this privilege by myself.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

• Confused 1

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Oh Deller - thank you!!!! The letter is excellent and I will send it off to Cobbetts without delay. Your help is really appreciated.....you're like a knight in shining armour :p

Hope all is going well for you x

;) Mupster

Oh Deller - thank you!!!! The letter is excellent and I will send it off to Cobbetts without delay. Your help is really appreciated.....you're like a knight in shining armour

Not a hijack; just wanted to add my thanks to Deller for that letter. I'm planning to claim from when I first give them notice of my claim and I know that Cobblers will try the same trick with me.

I've now subscribed to this thread because it contains a lot of good advice.

Keep going, Mupster. that last offer looks like you're real close now. I'm with you all the way. :) :)

Bear

Please read the Stickies and FAQs. Your question may have been answered already.

Old Bear vs. NatWest - won after first letter £600

Mrs Bear vs. Studio - won after first letter £360

Old Bear vs. Abbey - won after first letter - only £50, but it's the principle

Old Bear vs. Black Horse - £117 of charges wiped off 2 loans, but more WILL follow

Mrs Bear vs. Index (Littlewoods) - SAR sent - 2/2/2007

Thanks, Bear, I've been watching your progress as well!

Not much of it really yet. I'm currently waiting for the statements, etc back from my initial S.A.R. I sent it with a lovely big CAG label on the front of the envelope.

I wonder what they think when they see that CAG label. They probably say, "Ah well, here's another one we're gauranteed to lose". Mind you, they are probably consoled by the fact that Cobblers will annoy us as much as possible on the way to a settlement. :p :p

Please read the Stickies and FAQs. Your question may have been answered already.

Old Bear vs. NatWest - won after first letter £600

Mrs Bear vs. Studio - won after first letter £360

Old Bear vs. Abbey - won after first letter - only £50, but it's the principle

Old Bear vs. Black Horse - £117 of charges wiped off 2 loans, but more WILL follow

Mrs Bear vs. Index (Littlewoods) - SAR sent - 2/2/2007

Copy of AQ received this morning from Cobbetts and they had included the following (standard) in the 'other information' section:

"Case management direction cannot be proposed until the Claimant serves a reply to the request for further information which was due on 5th January 2007. In light of this, the Defendant may amend its Defence or apply to strike out"

Do I ignore this?? I have already sent the above letter as Deller suggested stating that I was not prepared to complete CPR18. I have also read quite catagorically that only the court may request further information - not Cobbetts.

Thanks folks

;) Mupster

This is like you say Mupster, pretty standard. You've replied to their cpr18 request as advised and, as you've stated it's the court who can request this information not Cobbetts.

The courts are quite aware of these tactics they are trying to use and must be getting pretty fed up with them. It might be worth your while now forwarding a copy of your response to the court, at least then the court will be aware that Cobbetts are still trying this on.

Thanks, Deller, I was thinking that myself and recall you advising me to keep a copy of the letter in case I should send it to the court.

And thank you for keeping an eye on me, it's so good of you to stay on the site and help others, I will endeavour to do the same!! :cool:

;) Mupster

Hi Mupster,

Thanks for the support with my thread - I sure hope Cobbetts plan their cheque run for this Friday!

I also have a case against Barclays for my Girlfriend and really need some help - I was hoping you and Deller would check out that thread too. Think I may have just messed up.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/60883-help-struck-out.html

Hi Twister, I will have a look at it but in the meantime slow down a bit - it is a long (sometimes drawn out) process for most of us and I was thinking more along the lines of the end of Feb not this week!! Hope I didn't get your hopes up.

;) Mupster

The judge was looking at the AQ's on 23 January and I still haven't heard a court date. Any idea how long it usually is before you hear back from the courts? Would they mind if I rang them?

Thanks, Mups

;) Mupster

It certainly wouldn't hurt to phone the court and see where your claim stands.

The judge was looking at the AQ's on 23 January and I still haven't heard a court date. Any idea how long it usually is before you hear back from the courts? Would they mind if I rang them?

Thanks, Mups

It's what they are paid for!

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

Well I did phone the court this morning and was told that both AQ's had been received and the lady told me that with regards to setting a court date she was going to 'pick this one out and get it done.'

Can't say fairer than that, eh?

Mups

;) Mupster

Had a court date through this morning - 26th March.

Here's the content of the court letter - I'd be grateful if I could get some confirmation that everything on it is 'standard' and I just need to send off the court bundle on Monday to the court & Cobbetts.

....with an estimated time of one hour.

The following directions apply to this claim:

1) The Claimant shall (unless she have already done so) within 14 days of service of this order to send to the Defendant and to the Court:

a) A schedule setting out each charge repayment of which is sought, showing the date, amount, and alleged reason (if any) for that charge being made;

b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that each and every such charge has been made;

c) A statement of evidence, if such is to be relied upon, as tending to show that the alleged charges have been made, or that they are irrecoverable as penalties and, if so, identifying the relevant clause(s) persuant to which the charges were applied.

d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

2) The Defendant shall within 14 days thereafter file and serve a response to the Claimant's schedule, stating in respect of each item claimes:

a) Persuant to what contractual provision such charge was made, producing a copy of the contractual document relied upon;

b) Whether such charge is accepted to be a penalty, and if not, why not;

c) If such charge is alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions (whether or not such action is to be treated as a breach of the contract between the parties), all facts and matters intended to be relied upon as showing that such is a proper estimate of such loss, and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to what the true cost of dealing with the matter was.

d) Any witness statements.

e) Copies of decided cased and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Defendant fails to comply with this order, the Defence will be struck out without further order.

3) The original documents shall be brought to the hearing.

4) The court must be informed immediately is the case is settled by agreement before the hearing date.

Please help me to do this right, I really don't want to mess it up at this crucial stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys (& gals),

Mups x

;) Mupster

a) A schedule setting out each charge repayment of which is sought, showing the date, amount, and alleged reason (if any) for that charge being made; Schedule of Charges

b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that each and every such charge has been made;Your Statements(just the ones with charges)

c) A statement of evidence, if such is to be relied upon, as tending to show that the alleged charges have been made, or that they are irrecoverable as penalties and, if so, identifying the relevant clause(s) persuant to which the charges were applied.See here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/53570-new-strategy-allocation-questionaires-3.html#post482194

d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

Basic Court Bundle

Examples of Witness Statements / Disclosure by List / Draft Directions / Case Summary

• Haha 1

Mupster

I have received my court letter and date yesterday but I am waiting before sending the court bundle.

Last week I called Cobbetts and they told me they had sent a request to Natwest to return to me the full amount of my claim on the 1st February. I asked for this in writing and they faxed me a letter stating that this had been done and Natwest take about 14 days to send the cheque to cobbetts. Suspicious of what was in the fax I called the Litigation Centre at Natwest and they confirmed that I was going to receive my cheque and it would be within 14-21 days after the request made on the 1st February.

It appears that Cobbetts just wait to see if you are going to file the AQ before giving up and it is Natwest who are delaying the cheque.

Anyway, I am going to wait on the court bundle as it is a lot of work especially since the decision to return my money has been confirmed to me in writing.

Good Luck!

I have found 2 statements of evidence on the site, one of which I should include in my court bundle, but neither of them relates to the defence I received from Cobbetts. I am well confused. Their defence only goes on about me not having provided them with any particulars (which of course I HAVE).

Any ideas????? :confused:

;) Mupster