Jump to content

You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

 

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

 

 

BankFodder BankFodder

 

BankFodder BankFodder


  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Nationwide is facing mounting criticism from savers.This is a result of the cuts it has applied to savings rates in the wake of the Bank of England's decision to cut the Base Rate to 0.1 per cent. View the full article
    • As a former NHS manager in a mental health trust... I agree 100% with the actions recommended by stu007.  And I would make especially clear in your letter(s) of complaint that you are extremely concerned about the whereabouts of any confidential letter that was intended to be sent to you in the handwritten envelope.  (Indeed, the fact that a handwritten envelope addressed to you was used would suggest to me that they definitely had something to send you.  It also sounds a bit odd to me that the envelope was handwritten).   As well as complaining in writing to them, I'd contact the clinical team by 'phone first thing on Monday, explain what's happened and tell them to ensure that any confidential information about you that has been sent to a third party must be recovered immediately, and you want confirmation of that.  Well that's what I'd do - see if others think it a good idea or not.  If that had happened at my trust, heads would roll.   There's another poster on these boards called "think about it".  They're involved (I think) in GP practice management and may have some comments too about patient confidentiality.   Oh - I think I would include a photocopy of the handwritten envelope in my complaint to the trust and the ICO.   (I've got to ask - can you say what trust it is?  Don't say if you don't want to.)   EDIT:  And well done for contacting the other person to tell them what's happened.  You did the right thing
    • Hey, thank you very much again for your replies!   - We go to the branches and ask for business accounts, but as I give them my personal name they register them as sole trader accounts in their systems, regardless of my company name being on the agreement.  Suspended our services for high volume messaging -- that is not explicitly covered in terms and conditions Send us letters referencing wrong terms and conditions that we did not sign Terminate the contract and come with a random balance number. We argue unsuccessfully, but they don't follow up with the requested deadlock letter. Pass our account to Lowell in 2017 I pick the account back up when I notice it is affecting my credit file in 2020 I work on the case for about three weeks and file a complaint with CISAS I give Lowell my contract and they see it is my company's name on it so they pass it back to Vodafone Vodafone wants to settle my account quoting they should not charge me anything on the first place and they offer £250 as a compensation for distress. I mistakenly accept the offer because of confusing wording and thinking that the third party adjudicator was already involved in the case, although they would basically get involved on the later stage.  I make a complaint as per CISAS and try to reverse the settlement in the system and have third party adjudicator having a proper look into my case and hopefully reward me a much fairer compensation for all the damages.    I have made a SAR request with both Vodafone and Lowell so far, but still waiting for the Vodafone to send it.    I am now waiting for CISAS to respond, but because I am still upset how much damage this has caused me I am considering taking them to small claims court.  For that I am researching what are the acts I would have to reference in that case.   Obviously Consumer Rights Act 2015 and then Data Protection Act 2018 and perhaps some acts regarding entering into contractual agreements -- can you help with that maybe?        My main concern at the moment is to how to express claims well in a legal language, because £250 they offered feels just patronizing given that there has been everything clearly written in black and white, yet I have had to go though this damaging and humiliating experience. 
    • Cooling off periods do not apply to faulty items. The cooling off period relates to a distance purchase of an item which is of satisfactory quality. Where an item is faulty then it become subject to the rules under the Consumer Rights Act
    • I understand the cooling off period for online purchases, but this is a little different due to the item being collected/paid in person.    A used item was recently sold by auction on eBay. The seller inspected, paid with cash and collected the item in person.    The buyer is now claiming the item to be faulty.    If this transaction was completely remote and the item posted, I would absolutely expect the buyer to be entitled to a refund.    But as the transaction happened in person would the point of the money changing hands be when the contract is made? Therefore not giving the buyer any cooling off period?   I think this is the key information; Used item Paid in person Working when collected Private sale   Thanks!
  • Our picks

Heofz

MCOL - Requested Judgement Day after Expiry. Defendant filed defence the same day!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2068 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I submitted a MCOL to recover my deposit from a Used Car Dealer who refused to refund it,

after I found out they lied to me about numerous things regarding the vehicle's condition.

 

My particulars essentially state that when paying the deposit to the dealer prior to the car purchase,

the verbal agreement was on the basis that:

1) They did not lie about the car.

2) The car would pass a vehicle inspection.

 

I since found out that they breached (1) and hence the agreement.

 

 

Before even filing the claim, the dealer actually offered to give me half of my deposit back to begin with, which I happily accepted.

 

 

A few hours later that same day, they called me to say they changed their mind

i.e. deciding to keep the whole deposit, because they now felt that my decision to cancel the car purchase

was a "change of heart" decision,

 

 

furthermore they spent my deposit money preparing the car for me

(even though the salesman told me the car was ready to drive away the day I came to see it).

 

 

When I challenged them to provide me proof of their expenditure, they outright admitted it was "done by a friend"

they didn't have any receipts/invoices.

 

 

It was at this point when I decided to submit a claim via MCOL as they made their position clear and that their decision was final.

 

About a week after they were served,

they called me up and we agreed for them to pay me 2/3 of my deposit back,

as long as I cancelled the claim first.

 

 

There was no way I would trust them after going back on their word last time,

I said that I will only cancel the claim after the payment has cleared,

I also asked them to provide their agreement in writing, which they did.

We came to written agreement, and they said they were able to pay me the same day.

I monitored my online account, waiting for this to happen, poised to cancel the claim as soon as I saw the money appear.

 

The money never arrived,

despite numerous chasers and calls, they kept making promises to pay "later today"/tomorrow,

then afterwards kept made excuses for not paying.

 

 

Yesterday I gave them the final deadline:

Pay the agreed amount that day and/or call me to confirm it has happened, or the agreement is off and I will proceed with the claim.

 

 

They acknowledged my position (I also have a recording of this phone conversation)

and promised to call me back by the end of the day regardless of the outcome.

 

 

Once again, no call nor payment was received.

 

 

From my perspective it felt that they were just messing me about, and I was out of patience.

 

It just so happened that the defendant had until yesterday to reply to the claim issue, according to the letter the court sent me.

I waited until this morning, and submitted a request for Judgement.

 

 

Upon checking later in the day I noticed that the defendant filed a defence shortly afterwards (the same day!), despite their deadline being yesterday.

 

In the MCOL transaction history it says:

 

You submitted a judgment against XXXX on 07/10/2014 at 06:49:56.

A bar was put in place for XXXX on 07/10/2014

XXXX filed a defence on 07/10/2014

In the Judgement panel it says "Requested",

and the Claim Status now shows as "Defence". Surely they were too late? :???:

 

I spoke with the defendant a short while afterwards,

they made more excuses,

and gave me "his word" that they were still happy to pay the 2/3 of my deposit back,

assuming I can get the claim cancelled with the court.

 

I'm going to call the MCOL helpline tomorrow,

 

 

I'm just wondering: Where do I stand?

A bar is in place for this claim, despite them filing a defence too late according to the deadline.

They are still offering to pay back 2/3 of my deposit..

. does this count as admission to some degree?

 

 

In the event that they are still just wasting my time with this "offer",

is there a chance that the bar will be lifted and their defence be discarded?

 

 

Does the fact that they filed a defence mean it is now out of both mine and the defendant's hands?

 

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. :-)

 

H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO, I would continue with the claim - the defendant has proved that they are unreliable.

 

However, if and when you receive either a cheque or cash - you are able to write to the court and apply for a discontinuance on the basis that the claim is now settled in full.

 

Other than that, the system will trundle along - you will now need to let the court know if you wish to continue - the claim will be allocated to a court and further paperwork - directions questionnaire will be sent out.


Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

 

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

 

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

 

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

 

 

BCOBS

 

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

 

 

 

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

 

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add, the 14 day deadline for filing a defence does not mean that that is the last moment you are allowed to defend. As long as the defendant gets the defence in to the court before a judgement is given – then the defence will stand and the case will continue.

 

Where a defence and a judgement application appeared to have crossed over – priority will be given to the defence.

 

You are absolutely right not to withdraw the claim until you have the settlement in your hands. This is essential. You must stick by your guns.

 

On the basis of what you say it seems that you agreed one thing and then after you paid the deposit the seller either tried to change the terms of the agreement or in fact you discovered that the car was not as it was represented by the seller at the time of the deal.

 

On this basis you are fully entitled to recover all of your money.

 

I think it would be worthwhile naming the dealer here on this forum.

 

The only basis on which you might agree to withdraw the claim before you have a settlement in your hands is if you have it written up in a Tomlin order. This is an agreement which does not count as a judgement but will record exactly what has been agreed between the two parties and is then signed off by the judge. A properly drafted Tomlin order would include a timescale for action and also a provision that the claim can be restored in the event that the timescale is breached.

 

However, if I were you I would continue to judgement and then put the bailiffs into the dealer. Let the dealer know this is what you propose to do. It might concentrate his mind a little.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The car dealer was Aylesbury Street Motors Ltd, or as they like to call themselves: "ASM Cars", based in Bletchley, Milton Keynes.

 

They finally transferred the 2/3 amount today after my 2nd phone call (though they were still trying to squirm out of it), and whilst it was happening, I believe I overheard one of their colleagues in the same room mutter something in Urdu/Hindi/etc whilst they forgot to put me on mute. :madgrin:

 

I have recordings of my phone conversations with them, so just out of curiosity I'll see if I can get a friend to translate and find out what their colleagues were muttering. :)

 

I saw the payment show up on my online bank account whilst still on the phone, so as agreed with the defendant (and I'm somebody who likes to keep his word), I called the MCOL helpdesk and had them mark the claim as paid to my satisfaction.

 

I know there's a chance that this payment could be reversed/cancelled maliciously by them, but I decided to take the risk for my own honour's sake. Plus, if they did try to pull the money back after claiming they paid me, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work out well for them in the long term, considering the amount of evidence I have showing them agreeing to pay.

 

I'll also be curious to know what their defence submission says when it arrives in the post, and whether it contradicts anything they have said on record. I'm sure I could have fought for it at their local court / phone mediation and maybe got it all back, but all in all, I was happy to take the settled amount for the sake of brevity.

 

So yeah, all's well that ends well I guess :-D. Short and sweet. Thanks for the advice, and I guess I learned something new regarding the way Judgements work. :)

Edited by Heofz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...