car insurance, no claim discount swapping with spouse

harrymarry
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3458 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

i am new to this forum.

i have a problem with my car insurance.

am i in the correct forum 2 ask u a question on car insurance.

if i am NOT, please direct me to the right one.

if i am, here is my question.

my current insurance has asked me to provide a proof of my no claim bonus, ++other things.

in my current insurance policy start date 1/10/14, i have put down my wifes name as a policy holder.

from the registration certificate of the car she has always been the holder.

in my previous car insurance, i put down my name as a policy holder.

I have always been the second driver and my wife has always been the main driver.

my question is, does number of no claim bonus be inter changeable between the spouse ?

Edited by honeybee13
Names removed.

Yes couples do this all the time. If the policy is registered as Insured and spouse, then Insurers can swap you around. When the NCD proof is issued it will be in the same of the person was noted as Policyholder at the time.

You need to speak to your Insurers about this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes couples do this all the time. If the policy is registered as Insured and spouse, then Insurers can swap you around. When the NCD proof is issued it will be in the same of the person was noted as Policyholder at the time.

You need to speak to your Insurers about this.

Better to clarify on this.

If the insured is Mr A and the additional driver Mr B,

Mr A will earn the NCD.

Mr B will not.

However, some insurance companies allow the named driver Mr B to earn their own NCD, but only if they renew with the same company.

If Mr A decides to change insurance company having earned 5 years NCD with Mr B as an additional driver, he would be making a mistake declaring Mr B as having 5 years NCD.

This could lead to dear consequences in case of a serious accident where the insurance company will try all their best to invalidate the policy.

Better check with the insurance company in writing before making any assumption

My husband and I go turn and turn about. One year he's the policy holder and I'm a named driver and the next year we swap. Most companies accept NCD from within the previous two years so this keeps both our NCD current.

My husband and I go turn and turn about. One year he's the policy holder and I'm a named driver and the next year we swap. Most companies accept NCD from within the previous two years so this keeps both our NCD current.

Ever checked with the insurance if this is ok?

If you stay with the same insurance they'll probably allow this, but if you change every year like me, in my experience this 'trick' is not allowed.

I know a lot of people do it anyway, but I always wonder what the insurance company would say in the event of a very serious accident where they're about to fork out hundred of thousands.

When my friend had an head on collision on a b road and the other driver put a claim for £500k, the insurance confiscated both vehicles to investigate further and even sent the front light bulbs for forensic analysis to make sure they were on at the time of collision.

They seriously tried every trick in the book to invalidate the policy.

They also contacted the employer to make sure his job title had been disclosed correctly.

Be careful out there!

If you stay with the same insurance they'll probably allow this, but if you change every year like me, in my experience this 'trick' is not allowed.

I know a lot of people do it anyway, but I always wonder what the insurance company would say in the event of a very serious accident where they're about to fork out hundred of thousands.

When my friend had an head on collision on a b road and the other driver put a claim for £500k, the insurance confiscated both vehicles to investigate further and even sent the front light bulbs for forensic analysis to make sure they were on at the time of collision.

They seriously tried every trick in the book to invalidate the policy.

They also contacted the employer to make sure his job title had been disclosed correctly.

Be careful out there!

If Insurance has been registered as Insured and spouse, it happens quite a lot and people do change Insurance at renewal. They are just getting the one NCD in the situation the OP has explained.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Well yes in that we have to give details on renewal/change and there's nothing hidden. I've never known an insurer unhappy with it. We both hold maximum NCD and have done for many years. This just maintains it.

Well yes in that we have to give details on renewal/change and there's nothing hidden. I've never known an insurer unhappy with it. We both hold maximum NCD and have done for many years. This just maintains it.

I understand that you tell them who's the policy holder and their NCD, but did you tell them they were the named driver the year before?

I tried to do the same thing with my wife when we were buying a second car and the answer from many insurers was that named drivers don't earn NCD, only the policy holder.

We ended up buying the insurance with the existing company which accepted 2 years NCD based on the time we had been with them.

I know that many people do all sorts of things to pay a cheaper price, from tweaking their occupation to giving the parents address, the problem only comes when and if there's a serious claim put through and the insurance investigates thoroughly.

I understand that you tell them who's the policy holder and their NCD, but

did you tell them they were the named driver the year before?

Of course we tell them. There's no getting away from it because they require proof of NCD.

I tried to do the same thing with my wife when we were buying a second car

and the answer from many insurers was that named drivers don't earn NCD, only

the policy holder.

I wonder if we're looking at two different things here. Neither of us are looking to earn NCD in our alternate years as named driver, we are only looking to maintain a long held status which was held individually when we each had a car. We're retired and now share a single car.

If you did the same thing when one of you didn't have full NCD entitlement then that driver would build up their NCD every other year when they were the policy holder but of course the premium would reflect their status.

Of course we tell them. There's no getting away from it because they require proof of NCD.

I wonder if we're looking at two different things here. Neither of us are looking to earn NCD in our alternate years as named driver, we are only looking to maintain a long held status which was held individually when we each had a car. We're retired and now share a single car.

If you did the same thing when one of you didn't have full NCD entitlement then that driver would build up their NCD every other year when they were the policy holder but of course the premium would reflect their status.

Yes that is the situation, when it is helpful. A couple with 2 cars each with NCD. They then sell one car and share the remaining. To keep the NCD for both parties alive the swap the policyholder around, so the NCD proof in one name does not go beyond the 2 years that most Insurers are willing to accept.

There is one thing we do have to be very careful about. Only the policy holder has third party cover on other cars and we have to keep that in mind as we were used to both having that cover and being able to drive other cars without much thought. What we've tended to do is ensure we are also named drivers on other family members' cars so we're all covered every which way round.