Argos bedroom unit *****Resolved*****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3460 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help please? I am a long term member of the CAG. I bought a "overbed" wardrobe fitment from Argos last December consisting of two upright cupboards with a bridging double unit in the middle . It was not cheap and I thought it would last a long time. It was assembled in March this year (decorating etc) as per the instructions and at the time we thought that the design was a bit odd as the bridging is attached to the two uprights with two brackets and screws. It has not been overloaded and was perfectly straight when completed. However over the past few months the middle has sagged and now the doors won't hang straight due to this and it looks awful.

I contacted Argos who said it has now been discontinued and they said they could try and get spare parts or offered a similar replacement. However there is no similar replacement!! We have also had bedroom carpets fitted etc. so taking it out is not ideal. I asked if they were willing to offer compensation and they offered me £50 (it cost £450 down to £350 in special event). I was not happy with this and they have now offered me £80 in "full and final settlement". I am in a quandary as to what my rights are - I paid with a debit card

many thanks

Will try and find someone who can help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi cleo4patra

You should have paid with a Credit Card, Debit Card doesn't offer any protection at this stage.

SOGA 1979 offers protection as the product appears to be of poor quality.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (purchased overbed wardrobe fitment - £350), how they have let you down (poor quality, not fit for purpose, Argos have discontinued it, £80 offered is unacceptable) and what you want them to do (refund). If photos will help explain the problem, take some, send those too.

Send it to:-

Mr John Walden

Chief Executive

Home Retail Group

[email protected]

Let us know how you get on.

Hi cleo4patra

You should have paid with a Credit Card, Debit Card doesn't offer any protection at this stage.

SOGA 1979 offers protection as the product appears to be of poor quality.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (purchased overbed wardrobe fitment - £350), how they have let you down (poor quality, not fit for purpose, Argos have discontinued it, £80 offered is unacceptable) and what you want them to do (refund). If photos will help explain the problem, take some, send those too.

Send it to:-

Mr John Walden

Chief Executive

Home Retail Group

[email protected]

Let us know how you get on.

sincere thanks - will do that asap - I have photos of before and after luckily

I bought a similar unit a few years ago and after the inevitable sagging, I fitted a metal bar going across the bridge to sustain it.

It costed £70 painted and finished and 5 minutes to fit.

Argos had already accepted to pay for it after my first written complaint.

I suggest you take some measurements and ask your local steel merchant for a price.

Of course if you want to go through the dismantling process and looking for another unit, you're entitled to it, but if you like what you have now you could possibly solve it with the £80 they offered you.

well - I have had a reply. If I want a full refund I have to dismantle and it be taken away - However this is the only one that fits and if can be repaired then I would like to keep. After sending them the letter/photos they have offered me £180 refund and keep the unit. To say I got a quick reply was an understatement !! thanks so much for the help

Good stuff, let us know what they say.

What are you thinking?, it really is your decision. Sounds good to me. The hassle of taking it apart, what it needs is reinforcing - safely. £180 back, you get to keep the unit.

well - I have had a reply. If I want a full refund I have to dismantle and it be taken away - However this is the only one that fits and if can be repaired then I would like to keep. After sending them the letter/photos they have offered me £180 refund and keep the unit. To say I got a quick reply was an understatement !! thanks so much for the help

What are you thinking?, it really is your decision. Sounds good to me. The hassle of taking it apart, what it needs is reinforcing - safely. £180 back, you get to keep the unit.

I will accept this as I cannot find a suitable replacement and a member has sent me a reealy good way of correcting it - thanks again!!

Thanks so much for this - just shows what can be done by stopping and thinking and going on the forum!! best wishes