Social Media HR

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3487 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I've had a few problems with a group of girls at work recently - one in particular who likes to cause trouble.

Anyway, after a horrible day on Friday - I came home and put a status on my wall - this is exactly what I wrote but fill in the blanks. "Thank f**k for the people that make working bearable - because f**k me do I work with some a**eholes".

The majority of comments were asking if I was ok but one of the above group of girls started an argument and goaded me into stating one of the girl's names. I stated her name and basically that she knows that she causes drama for every person she comes across. No reference to the company I work for, no surnames - just first name.

I got called in by my Manager (who incidentally is pally with this girl) and informed that he had passed my 'disgusting' status to our Head of Department who has passed it on to HR. I'm obviously thinking that they're trying to sack me for gross misconduct.

Any thoughts? I'm a hard worker - regularly given incentives for extra work that I do etc and I'm finding this whole thing really stressful. Please help :-(

Oh dear.

Rule number one - never rant about work, or your colleagues, on Facebook!

There have been many similar cases here lately. Your manager is aware of the comments, they are very offensive and you have identified the colleagues involved (and publicly, it's not the same as a quick chat down the pub). I do unfortunately think its a disciplinary matter.

I would prepare for the worst here, and focus on mitigation. A grovelling apology, explanation as to why things have been difficult and providing assurances that nothing similar will happen again may help. You're certainly not the first person to get caught out in this way and so I think the best you can hope for is leniency!

Even if the worst does happen, I guess you will have learned a valuable lesson (and unfortunately many people do, the hard way).

Best of luck. Keep your chin up, even if the worst happens then every cloud has a silver lining and I'm sure you'll come out of it ok in the end.

Agree - this will and should be treated as though you had said it in person.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

All's well - apparently HR have said that it's not a matter for them as I didn't mention the company name or the surname of the person involved. They stated it wasn't an ideal status but there wasn't any disciplinary action they could take. Worth knowing, I work for a multi-national company so obviously their HR is not some tinpot setup.

What is now ideal though, is that FB is now completely private and only has my personal friends on there :D

I think you've been lucky there! Even if it is now private - watch what you say!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

The drama person is moving to a different department - I'm very happy about that. And I think I can manage not to say anything more on FB - apparently the settings can change every so often, so I wouldn't take the risk. I'm not the type of person to usually put anything on there anyway, it's more for finding people's dogs and desktop games!

Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated :)

Glad this worked out OK - I always shudder when I see the word 'Facebook' in relation to an employment dispute!!

Even though you have changed your privacy, please please please always remember that with Facebook there is no such thing - it only takes a falling out, or mischief making and it can become very public very quickly and an employer can still treat it as disrepute even if the company name is not mentioned as so many people will know where you work and of whom you are ranting!

Far safer than to never ever mention work in any respect whatsoever :-(

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!