Can health clubs force you to provide email address?

Louisam
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3488 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My parents are long standing members of bannatyne gym. To date they had used swipe cards to access the gym. Now they must use a pin. The gym requested that they provide an email address to send the pins to. My parents requested that the pins be sent via post or alternatively collected in person with ID. The gym refused their request and said it had to be an email address - if they didn't want to provide theirs then a family members would do. They have since spoken to another member who was permitted to collect theirs in person do it can be done!!. They went back again. Again they were refused. They've been told that unless they provide an email address to send the pin to then when the gym pin switch program completes even though they have several month membership left they will not be allowed in until an email address is provided to send the pins to.

Would it not be simpler just to set up a Google type address then never use it again?

I know there is some thought that everyone is now online, but it seems a bit restrictive if they just won't had them over.

Have they asked to get them sent to the clubs email address?

Hi Louisam and welcome to CAG

If YP's don't want to give an email address, I don't see that Bannatynes can force them to.

Bannatynes cannot deny access which was previously given. If they do, this would amount to a change of the Terms and Conditions of m/ship ........

........ in which case, YP's can threaten to leave immediately, without penalty or admin charges, due the the gym's conduct.

They should take a letter into the gym demanding reinstatement of their access immediately, failing which they'll sue for the return of the current month's fees. And they should insist that, if a PIN code is required, that it be issued by post.

Do not let YP's try and resolve this by phone. They must keep everything in writing only.

I fail to see why gyms continue to treat their customers so badly, when they should be valued and looked-after. :-(

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

My parents are anal about online security -- getting my dad to set up one email was hard enough so he's not keen to do this. I'll ask about getting it sent to the clubs address though, thanks.

Would it not be simpler just to set up a Google type address then never use it again?

I know there is some thought that everyone is now online, but it seems a bit restrictive if they just won't had them over.

Have they asked to get them sent to the clubs email address?

I know! It's why I only do pay as you go classes now. Thanks for advice!

Hi Louisam and welcome to CAG

If YP's don't want to give an email address, I don't see that Bannatynes can force them to.

Bannatynes cannot deny access which was previously given. If they do, this would amount to a change of the Terms and Conditions of m/ship ........

........ in which case, YP's can threaten to leave immediately, without penalty or admin charges, due the the gym's conduct.

They should take a letter into the gym demanding reinstatement of their access immediately, failing which they'll sue for the return of the current month's fees. And they should insist that, if a PIN code is required, that it be issued by post.

Do not let YP's try and resolve this by phone. They must keep everything in writing only.

I fail to see why gyms continue to treat their customers so badly, when they should be valued and looked-after. :-(

:-)

Regarding online security. All theyre asking for is pretty much a throwaway email that youll never use. Chances are the gym will sell the email address on as data, but you can simply state no, and never use the email after anyway.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D