Jump to content

sudden demand for overpaid student grant 10 years ago


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2610 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all. I had a student loan / grant for a course started September 2004. I left the course early 2005 and claimed jobseekers. Jobseekers would not pay me anything until the summer as they said I had to live off the grant I had received. I still had to sign on but received no payments.


About a year or two later the student loan company wanted me to repay the grant. I phoned them and explained how I was ineligible to jsa because of their grant, so if they wanted a repayment they could get it from the job center. She said she would look into it and that's the last I heard.


Today, nearly 10 years later, I have got a letter as follows from the slc



Dear Mr ******


Please quote reference number ******** on all communications


We contacted you recently in regards to your overpayment of student grant and

note that there is still an outstanding balance.


The outstanding amount of £398.00 should be paid



You can pay by debit or credit card simply by telephoning 03001000629, or



The Student Loans Company has a duty to recover the overpayment. If you do

not repay the total due or offer a reasonable proposal to correct the position

by 16 OCT 2014, further action may be necessary to obtain full recover of the

balance due.


If you are unable to repay the amount stated or have any queries, you should

contact us on the number above.


Yours sincerely


This is the first time I have heard from them so I don't know what the recent contact is they are referring to. I have moved house several times, but been in my current house 2 years. When I complete my tax return, if I bump up my income then the loan repayments are automatically added, so they surely know where I have lived all this time!


I still have the loan to repay but have not yet met the income requirements.


Is this statue barred, or is this type of debt not eligible? I didn't want to ring them until I have some advice as I don't want to open any cans of worms!



Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...