• Tweets

• Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
    • Hi. Please don't follow McD's advice to contact Met to appeal. They won't listen and you could end up giving them helpful information. HB
    • The UK-based mining giant Anglo American says it has received a takeover proposal from Australia's BHP.View the full article
    • who gave you the NTH? who was it sent to? thread title updated dx  
    • blimey CAG gave all that FREE help over +6mts and +100 posts and they never even bothered to comeback...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TV Series: "Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away!"....a discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was watching this channel five show 2 weeks ago

- in full view of the camera

the HCEO normally on the show

a decent enough guy with a nasty job

forced entry into a residential home,

assaulting the debtor after putting foot in door.

Has the new act now given HCEO's the right to make a forced entry trying to smash past the debtor/resident over a civil debt?

I thought HCEO's could only force entry into commercial property?

They also appear to now be issuing bankruptcy stat demands like confetti in an attempt to secure their fees

despite the fact this could be working against their clients interest

as if the debtor has no assets, in trying to secure their fees

the HCEO's if they go ahead have lost the creditor/claimant

any chance of recovering a debt that is now "gone" with no assets towards the bankruptcy...

I thought using bankruptcy stat demands as a debt collection tool to try

and frighten a payment was against the rules

and got some debt collection bottom feeders into trouble?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought using bankruptcy stat demands as a debt collectionlink3.gif tool to try and frighten a payment was against the rules and got

some debt collection bottom feeders into trouble?

Yep, 1st Credit and Mucky Hall were both hauled over the coals for using stat demands as Debt Collection tools.

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I try to avoid this programme as I want to keep my TV intact, the idiots I've seen on it (on both sides of the fence) are dreadful.

I also have a very close friend who happens to be a bailiff and even he says the programme is greatly distorted at times in favour of the bailiffs, even when they are in the wrong.

I try to avoid this programme as I want to keep my TV intact, the idiots I've seen on it (on both sides of the fence) are dreadful.

I also have a very close friend who happens to be a bailiff and even he says the programme is greatly distorted at times in favour of the bailiffs, even when they are in the wrong.

The TV channel that shows the programme might be considered to have a hidden political agenda.

I believe the owner of the channel up to May of this year (has been sold since) was on the right of politics, if you look him up.

He also owns the Daily Express.

Hence programmes such as Benefits Street and other similar progs And now a programme on bailiffs kicking people out of their homes etc.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

No right of entry to a resedential address but I do remember the hceo mention something about special powers they have

Perhaps that is the ability to keep a clean shirt despite there dribble

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

What you will find is that the Enforcement Agents portrayed are NOT HCEO's but just general dogsbodies operating under instruction from the Authorised HCEO which just so happens to the same person for both the companies concerned. It is the Authorised HCEO who should carry the can for any wrongdoings.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is there not already a thread last year during the first series

where all this was debated previously?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

He has taken a lot of flack from bailiffs since the start of this new series, dont think he has much respect in the industry tbh.

off the top of my head he has done the following wrong:-

- issue fake stat demands

- tell a debtor to f*** off on camera

- drink beer whilst on the phone to debtors

- where a stab vest with blue and white reflective strips like police officers do.

- force his way in to a residential address by pushing past someone.

Thats just this paul bohill character, theres another company they are following from direct collection bailiffs ltd and the two guys seem pretty decent

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

Surely the companies themselves must realise that they are not giving a good impression of the industry ?

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Surely the companies themselves must realise that they are not giving a good impression of the industry ?

Don't think they care, they think the "free" publicity will mark them out as Hard Men in the public perception, and by their own twisted logic it will scare the debtor they lean on into paying up when they turn up at the door.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

That is deliberate. They want to instal fear in people and give them the impression that they have limited rights to prevent an HCEO from collecting a debt or to evict them from a property.

On the BBC programme about HCEO's atleast the main HCEO explained what he could and could not do. This is not really mentioned much on the CH5 programme. Why ? BBC is a public broadcaster with a charter that makes it responsible for the content of its programmes. It can be held to account by parliament, the BBC board, as well as the normal industry complaints system. CH5 was owned by the same person who owned the Daily Express and some of its programmes were politically motivated.

Don't think they care, they think the "free" publicity will mark them out as Hard Men in the public perception, and by their own twisted logic it will scare the debtor they lean on into paying up when they turn up at the door.

That is deliberate. They want to instal fear in people and give them the impression that they have limited rights to prevent an HCEO from collecting a debt or to evict them from a property.

On the BBC programme about HCEO's atleast the main HCEO explained what he could and could not do. This is not really mentioned much on the CH5 programme. Why ? BBC is a public broadcaster with a charter that makes it responsible for the content of its programmes. It can be held to account by parliament, the BBC board, as well as the normal industry complaints system. CH5 was owned by the same person who owned the Daily Express and some of its programmes were politically motivated.

If they are giving a false impression of their "powers", why on earth are the regulators not stepping in and investigating these companies? If they are giving the industry a bad name (not that it actually needs any assistance in that) why isn't the industry itself having a moan ?

BCOBS

If they are giving a false impression of their "powers", why on earth are the regulators not stepping in and investigating these companies? If they are giving the industry a bad name (not that it actually needs any assistance in that) why isn't the industry itself having a moan ?

There would have to be a volume of complaints made against CH5.

I suspect CH5 will say that they were just covering the work of an HCEO company, who told them that they conformed to all industry standards.

Other HCEO's would only complain I expect about why another company is getting free advertising. The programme could be accused of selling this companies services.

My head hurts :(

BCOBS

My head hurts :(

What you have to think about, it how they decide what features on this programme. The HCEO company is in charge of what enforcement actions the film crew are invited to see. They control what happens, as far as they can. The HCEO's are all experienced older men, so viewers might see them as authorative and believe that what is shown is compliant with the rules that apply.

Regulators don't watch these programmes and decide to investigate issues off their own backs. The will only act if they receive complaints.

Razor Ruddock would have a good reason to complain, as his case is shown at the beginning of each programme, even though it was only featured for about 3 minutes. Allegations were made by the HCEO and I cannot remember them saying that Razor had been given the opportunity of responding on the programme to what was said.

It is disappointing to see that the agents of this small 'franchise' firm appear to have had little formal training and lack the basic knowledge when it comes to rights of entry.

But I bet that CH5 went out to various HCEO companies, most did not want to get involved and the ones that ended up being used were the cheapest. Ch5 is a low budget TV channel, who would not want to spend too much on these type of programmes.

Another area they seem to be on a sticky wicket with is telling third parties for personal debts that unless they have reciepts they will take the third parties goods - most people won't have reciepts for everything unless its brand new - as a stat dec would be enough it seems to me the EO's are again misrepresenting their powers slighty, and on discovering other parties live at the property and in most of these cases actually own or are the tenants of the property with the debtor having moved in (often a relation) then surely the EO no longer has the protection of being able to assume the entire contents of the property are the debtors!

If you have a married couple who own the home and their son has moved back in after a relationship breakup then it cannot be reasonable to assume anything outside his bedroom is also his.

It seems to me also that the film crew are often guilty of harassment continuing to film against a debtors wishes.

As I understand it from discussions with amateur photographers the crew behaviour is absolutely harassment! At Ruddocks home the crew stepped onto the public road and the EO claimed that his wife could not stop them filming from there.

That is not correct as I understand it - you may stand in the street filming or photographing the general scene, think a bbc news crew filming a busy shopping street for example but if you focus on a person/s without permission esp if they then demand you stop it becomes harassment to continue

Also as the filming is for commercial television surely they are breaching various things by broadcasting without a data protection waiver nor the standard waiver a tv crew would normally need signed by an individual for permission to broadcast.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Presumably people are too embarrassed to complain :(

BCOBS

You have to be aware that the Enforcement Agents shown in this show are just the hired help. The Authorised HCEO can employ anyone he likes to carry out his orders, unlike Bailiffs a lot of these Agents have no Certificate - although some do. In the episode I viewed there were 2 different companies featured in 2 different areas of the country. What became apparent is that the same Authorised HCEO was in charge for each company, further examination reveals that this same Authorised HCEO appears to be in charge of a further 3 companies - sounds a lot to me as if he is promoting himself as "HCEO for hire" so that any small enforcement company or even solicitor can employ his services for a price. I believe he is not the only HCEO operating in this manner and my view is that it is wrong as how can he personally oversee each Writ - similar to another HCEO who now lives abroad.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good grief is it even legal for the HCEO to reside abroad?

That surely defeats the point in that a mistreated debtor has no legal course of action against the HCEO being out of the UK's jurisdiction!

How can a Judge get him in to ask questions!

I have been wondering on what legislation EO's are relying upon to take active body cameras onto private property esp if the resident refuses permission to be filmed and perhaps even has a sign up removing the right to film themselves

I forget if its the admin of justice act or another but that is what the Police use to claim the right to be followed by commercial film crews even inviting them into private properties on raids. But surely technically as a suspect is innocent until proven guilty in court then again harassment applies if they refuse permission to be filmed.

I am actually amazed a couple of pro bono civil rights lawyers who like a good fight haven't stepped in - often people are going to be "told of" and sent on their way but end up arrested because the film crew presence sees them attempting to block the camera or end up swearing out of stress. Arguably the presence of the crew has "entrapped" them into committing an offence, and again if they have not committed an offence to that point them on what right is the crew relying upon to harass an innocent member of the public.a decent lawyer could have a lot of fun dropping cats amongst pidgeons.

I suspect a french lawyer could have a lot of fun in the french courts regarding the use of uk film crews filming assylum seekers in Calais esp if French Law does not have a similar public right as uk police to a degree.

Of course when the situation is reversed, when members of the public film THEM many officers get very angry and make unlawful threats, istr an asian PCSO on youtube going beserk about being filmed by the tuber.

This is a different area but sort of relevent in that it is again channel 5 doing it, nightmare neighbours!! They are constantly showing photos often looking to have been snapped covertly of alledged nightmare neighbours who have never been charged or found guilt of any offence nor proof of such other than the word of the alledged victim, again how is that lawful?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can I make a suggestion here. I am receving so many complaints about this TV series which I will be airing on this thread but in order to gather even more views it would be far better to change the 'title' of the thread to something such as:

TV Series: Can't Pay...Won't Pay....a discussion thread.

Can I make a suggestion here. I am receving so many complaints about this TV series which I will be airing on this thread but in order to gather even more views it would be far better to change the 'title' of the thread to something such as:

TV Series: Can't Pay...Won't Pay....a discussion thread.

It'd be even better to change it to: "TV Series: "Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away!"....a discussion thread." As that's actually the title of the programme :)

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

it has been done

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...