dismissal appeal representative

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3463 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband has been dismissed for gross misconduct and has appealed against this decision. He is not in a trade union and does not have a work colleague that he trusts to attend the hearing with him. We have a friend who is a HR manager for one of the big uk banks and he has offered to attend the appeal with my husband. Can the employer refuse to let him attend with my husband?

Yes, we have read that, seems crazy to have such restrictions though. One of his colleagues made the allegation against him but he doesn't know who, so he is now paranoid and doesn't trust anyone . I guess we can only ask them to let someone else attend with him and hope they agree. Doubt they will though! Doesn't seem fair on the appellant at this stage. As he is very distressed and anxious it puts him at a disadvantage as he'll have to go in alone.

It pretty much forces us to the tribunal oute if he doesn't feel able to stand up for himself at another hearing.

Yes, we have read that, seems crazy to have such restrictions though. One of his colleagues made the allegation against him but he doesn't know who, so he is now paranoid and doesn't trust anyone . I guess we can only ask them to let someone else attend with him and hope they agree. Doubt they will though! Doesn't seem fair on the appellant at this stage. As he is very distressed and anxious it puts him at a disadvantage as he'll have to go in alone.

It pretty much forces us to the tribunal oute if he doesn't feel able to stand up for himself at another hearing.

There is no harm in asking. They don't have to allow it legally, but sometimes employers are more lenient. He has nothing to lose by asking. His employer may object to an HR professional going though, rather than a lay person!

It would be worth your husband detailing the exact reasons why he is requesting an alternative companion - every employee in his situation will be equally as distressed, so he will need to put forward a more compelling reason.

Incidentally, if an allegation has been made, your husband should be told who made that allegation. It is far more difficult to defend yourself on the back of an anonymous allegation! I appreciate that its a side point to your query but worth challenging nonetheless.