Jump to content

Summons charge for council tax I don't owe! - Please help.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I really need some advise. I moved into a flat in Jan 2014, and was a full-time University student until June this year when I graduated. I received a 'summons' letter from the council in May regarding non payment of CT. I sent them my student exemption certificate in May. They received this, but failed to add my student discount. I lived alone in the flat. It was a 'studio flat'. I didn't know they hadn't applied my discount until I received another summons letter in August. I phoned them about this and they apologized and have now applied the student discount. However, they have not removed the summons charge and it is apparently £200!, it had increased from £60?. They basically said if I don't pay it, it will go to a company who will keep adding more money onto it. I called them a few days ago and they said to enter into a payment plan in order to stop the charge increasing. I agreed out of fear of that charge increasing but I will NOT be paying anything when I don't owe that council tax!. How do I dispute this summons charge?, surely it has to go to court before they can keep increasing the charge?. I'm very confused about it all. I'm currently receiving JSA and have very, very little money.


Is there a way I can make this go to court?, surely the court will agree with me?. I have all the evidence from my University stating that I was indeed a student during that period. I also have all the letters that they sent me.


If anyone can advise me on what to do that would be really helpful :)


Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, the summons charge is from council tax owed during the months Jan to May - during these months I was a full-time student, just to clarify that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

stick in an official complaint addressed to council tax manager and the chief executive

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...