• Tweets

• OP stated they had been arrested, but not charged (let alone convicted). They DON'T have a criminal record, but do have an entry on the PNC. That information stays on the PNC (Police National Computer) for life, but doesn't get released in a standard DBS. It only MIGHT get released for an Enhanced DBS (eDBS) check  ... but it would be incredibly unlikely. (The rational behind this is that eDBS's allow for 'information at Chief Officer of Police's discretion' ..... this covers the 2 'barring lists' and is also intended for the scenario where someone has multiple arrests or investigations, where safeguarding is a concern .... it was brought in after the Soham murders / Ian Huntley case, where the information known about the now-convicted child murderer may have prevented his employment in a school, had it been made available). So, for the sake of accuracy and completeness, arrests stay on the PNC for life, wont appear in a standard DBS, MIGHT appear in an eDBS, but in reality, would be the exception rather than the norm, and I can't see them being released  to a defense barrister. What then if the defence found out a different way, and brought it up in court?. Again, unlikely, but the important feature is that the judge would make sure they trod very carefully!. They MIGHT consider using it if there were other factors that allowed them to try to cast doubts as to the truthfulness of your evidence, but on its own : No way. Anyone MIGHT be arrested (if a seemingly plausible complaint been made against them)! The approach to take if it did come up is to be truthful. "Yes, I was arrested. It arose from a vexatious complaint. I wasn't charged, let alone convicted. That could happen to any one of us, if a vexatious complaint gets made" Far better that than lying, saying you'd never been arrested, and getting caught in a lie : that would ruin your credibility. I'm incredibly doubtful it will even come up, though.
    • we dont get N157 because its new OCMC but no court dont have evidence either.   Just seems a bit of a pointless wait but oh well
    • Post #9 suggested some options to avoid or put off having a smart meter. Post #12 a simple solution to your complaint about the ay they handle fixed monthly DD. It's not really clear why you posted if you're going get irate when members "jump in" with suggestions. You can see what I'm referring to on "gasracker.uk" to allay your suspicion that I was lying in Post #16 which was made to correct ther misinformation shown in your Post #15
    • Back to octopus from the smart meter/tariff salesperson. Octopus have now said just ignore the letter - I dont have to have one despite there letter implying (at least) it was required, but that i will HAVE to have a smart meter if current meters stop working as 'their suppliers dont supply non smart meters any more'. They also say they do not/will not disable any smart functionality when they fit a smart meter I am of course going to challenge that. Thats their choice of meter fitter/supplier problem not mine
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Debt in Germany now living in Uk

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3488 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok - can you only earn a certain amount after bankrupcy or can u continue earning the same amount regardless of bankrupcy ?

This is a complete mindfield sorry for all the questions

I think all that happens is that he sits down with an insolvency practitioner. They run through details of income/expenses/assets/debts. It he has no assets such as property to sell, it then just a case of working out what he could afford to pay creditors. An offer is them made to pay the relevant amount over a period.

Not an expert on bankruptcy. But have read that if you get a really good local bankruptcy practitioner, it can be a better experience that you thought it was going to be. I read recently of a lady who thought she would have to cancel mobile phone contracts and other things which might be considered discretionary spending, but she was allowed to keep much of her basic spending commitments. ]

Your partner is going to have to find someone who can handle the bankruptcy and to ask them for the information. It might be the case that because it involves German debts as well, that it might cost more to go bankrupt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Your partner has no assets or disposable income. He has no realistic prospect of being able to repay, at least not for the foreseeable future. In his position I would cease attempts to continue. No more contact, no more payments.

Plenty of threatening letters may ensue but he need do nothing unless / until a claim form or statutory demand is served. The worst that could happen is bankruptcy but that is highly unlikely as a creditor will not spend money on bankruptcy proceedings when they will not get anything back.

I know you are keen to wipe the slate and get on with your lives but I just present this as a viable alternative. All you need is the nerves to ignore [empty] threat letters. Look on the bright side, statute bar of just 3 years: English debtors will be green with envy.

The one caveat I would caution in this case would be to delay any censure action against the lenders until S B unless you are confident of being able to do so without compromising your no-acknowledgment stance. It can be done, but you would have to tread very carefully. It would be easier to wait or drop it, depending how strongly you feel.

If you sense prospects of lush compensation, you may wish to pursue but do not make the mistake of assuming that the German regulatory regime is more or less the same as that of the UK. It isn't: you'd find a steep learning curve to negotiate.

I am not seeking to counter all the steps which Uncle B has outlined. That is a sound and valid strategy. I merely wanted you to be aware that there is another way.

Your partner has no assets or disposable income. He has no realistic prospect of being able to repay, at least not for the foreseeable future. In his position I would cease attempts to continue. No more contact, no more payments.

Plenty of threatening letters may ensue but he need do nothing unless / until a claim form or statutory demand is served. The worst that could happen is bankruptcy but that is highly unlikely as a creditor will not spend money on bankruptcy proceedings when they will not get anything back.

I know you are keen to wipe the slate and get on with your lives but I just present this as a viable alternative. All you need is the nerves to ignore [empty] threat letters. Look on the bright side, statute bar of just 3 years: English debtors will be green with envy.

The one caveat I would caution in this case would be to delay any censure action against the lenders until S B unless you are confident of being able to do so without compromising your no-acknowledgment stance. It can be done, but you would have to tread very carefully. It would be easier to wait or drop it, depending how strongly you feel.

If you sense prospects of lush compensation, you may wish to pursue but do not make the mistake of assuming that the German regulatory regime is more or less the same as that of the UK. It isn't: you'd find a steep learning curve to negotiate.

I am not seeking to counter all the steps which Uncle B has outlined. That is a sound and valid strategy. I merely wanted you to be aware that there is another way.

This is also valid, however, if creditors did take forward standard court proceedings, before the debt is statute barred, then there could be hassle dealing with this and possibly costs, if you need Lawyers. It is then trying to include the court judgements and other debt in a bankruptcy. It may be more complicated.

Given that the debts exceed £30k, I should imagine that the creditors will take some action. Atleast bankruptcy by your partner allows you to move on and you would not be waiting for creditors to take the action.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi thank you for your comments - my partner telephoned the bank a few weeks ago to ask for the loan to be extended due to the stress....does this void the non acknowledgement side? Are u suggesting we simply ignore all letters? What if they send bailiffs round to my house? How can we live or move forward by just ignoring this? My point was that they lent him 50k in 7 months knowing he was working part time and a single parent... Is this normal?!?! Have they not broken affordability and irresponsible lending rules?

Hi thank you for your comments - my partner telephoned the bank a few weeks ago to ask for the loan to be extended due to the stress....does this void the non acknowledgement side? Are u suggesting we simply ignore all letters? What if they send bailiffs round to my house? How can we live or move forward by just ignoring this? My point was that they lent him 50k in 7 months knowing he was working part time and a single parent... Is this normal?!?! Have they not broken affordability and irresponsible lending rules?

Not if it were just a phone call. Bailiffs can only act with legal legitimacy, if there is a court judgement.

That is what they suggested, which is to ignore and hope that they don't take any action for the required period of atleast 3 years. For a debt of that value, I personally would advise against this 'head in the sand' non action. I suspect that the creditors would get a court judgement in Germany and try to get it transfered to a UK court for enforcement.

Up to your partner to now look into the options and decide the action he wants to take.

There is no way i can just ignore this its way 2 stressful and probably not going to help me because i know it will come bk and bite us in the arse - how cd he visit Germany if he needed to in future he may get arrested ? There are way 2 many issues around ignoring?

There is no way i can just ignore this its way 2 stressful and probably not going to help me because i know it will come bk and bite us in the arse - how cd he visit Germany if he needed to in future he may get arrested ? There are way 2 many issues around ignoring?

You cannot be arrested for a civil debt. Debt was decrimalised in Europe many years ago. So no problems at airports.

If he owed money to the German government e.g taxes that would be a different matter.

Some people do ignore debts and they manage to get away without paying. But this is not a great idea anymore, as creditors are becoming better at enforcing debts. There are now loads of Lawyers out there who chase debts and will take action on behalf of creditors.

My advice would be for partner to look into bankrupty and if it is the best way forward, then to go for it.

Yes i agree but i also feel so strongly about the bank and the way they lent this money to him that i am going to make a formal complaint, whether or not the German ombudsman feels that we have a case or not i still want to complain. I will advise that he goes for bankruptcy but i am going to ask for the debts to be wiped first on the basis of my complaint, or at least investigated first.

Yes i agree but i also feel so strongly about the bank and the way they lent this money to him that i am going to make a formal complaint, whether or not the German ombudsman feels that we have a case or not i still want to complain. I will advise that he goes for bankruptcy but i am going to ask for the debts to be wiped first on the basis of my complaint, or at least investigated first.

Yes makes some sense. I don't know how the German ombudsman works. Don't leave it too long. If your partner wants to pursue bankruptcy in the UK for German debts, I think he has to do this within 3 years. After that, I think he would have to go through the German bankrupty system by visiting Germany.

Hi Gdb,

I posted a document on German debt process here (post #53)http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?333134-Uk-citizen-with-debt-in-Germany-please-help.&p=3674780#post3674780

Hopefully it will help you understand the process in DE

Viel Glück

Thank you very uch 👍🙏