• Tweets

• Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
    • Hi. Please don't follow McD's advice to contact Met to appeal. They won't listen and you could end up giving them helpful information. HB
    • The UK-based mining giant Anglo American says it has received a takeover proposal from Australia's BHP.View the full article
    • who gave you the NTH? who was it sent to? thread title updated dx  
    • blimey CAG gave all that FREE help over +6mts and +100 posts and they never even bothered to comeback...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

EGG want to offset PPI against sold debt - **WON NO OFFSET**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just had an email reply from the Ombudsman. They seem to disagree with the advice regularly given on here that PPI cannot be used to set off debt sold to a third party:

Thank you for contacting us today. My understanding of your complaint is that Canada Square have stated a portion of the settlement figure they have offered needs to go to a third party, Arrow Global. This company purchased the debt of the original loan the PPI was applied to. You arranged a figure, which you paid, to settle this debt with Arrow Global, and consider the debt to be paid. Please do contact us again if this is incorrect.

I have discussed this issue with one of my colleagues as I explained on the phone. As the settlement figure you agreed with, and paid to, Arrow Global was not equal to the outstanding debt sold to them, there is still a remaining balance on the account. Any redress for PPI paid by a business can be used to offset any debt in relation to the account the PPI was associated with. As there is still a balance outstanding in relation to the loan, it is reasonable for Canada Square to state some of the PPI settlement is to go toward this balance.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point out to fos that their stance on this contradicts the information they are giving on their site.

There is no right of set off to a third party where a debt has been sold unless you have given permission for that to be done.

There is also case law on the right of set off which is Edlington Properties v J H Fenner & Co Ltd

Thank-you. I have pointed that out to them and included a link and copied the most relevant paragraph I could find on their website.

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. What is my course of action with Canada Square? I've warned them twice I will take legal action - should I now file a claim in the small claims court?

Was that from an adjudicator at the FOS

doesnt sound right to me.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I called their helpline, explained the situation that my complaint had been upheld but they want to set off to a third party. The lady on the phone didn't know the answer, so said she'd call me back. Pointed out that I live in the US and asked if she could email back. So that's the email I received from them following up after my phone call. Don't think she was an adjudicator, just a rep on the helpline.

As the FOS already have this in hand, then it might be worth seeing it through Ranger. It was approaching 3 years if not over that they took to settle my hubby's complaint with HSBC !!

If this were me, then I would be asking for it to be escalated to an Ombudsman proper. It is quite clear on the FOS website, what the bank can and cant do. As far as you are concerned you have repaid a full and final settlement and HSBC do not have ownership of the account any longer.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I found the Canada Square Operations number and called them.

The man I spoke to had a look at my file and said he was emailing his superiors to tell them that the account with Arrow Global was concluded.

He said they would contact Arrow Global and confirm that the account was closed and send both portions of the cheque out.

I pointed out to him that my business with the third party was neither here nor there in relation to money they've agreed they owe me,

and that I don't owe Egg any money.

He said he did not know about such matters and I'd have to call back Monday to follow up with his boss about this,

as he's only going on the guidance he'd been given, which was they'd always set off any outstanding amount.

Hopefully they'll just confirm with Arrow Global that the account has been concluded

(I have a letter from them to prove that it has)

and not delay any further in sending the cheque out.

first time I've heard of Canadian square even using offset let alone to a third party!!

I've done three to them

and even though there is an very large outstanding debt

still being paid to them,

my neighbour got eveyr penny of each one.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

I see people talking about suing on here, is that the same as filing a claim with Money Claim Online?

I've called Canada Square Operations several times. They're maintaining that offsetting (they're calling it making an adjustment to my account) part of my redress to a third party (Arrow Global) is legal, and what they're required to do by law to put me back into the same position as I would have been without the PPI.

Can I file a claim with Money Claim Online for the total redress? It seems like my only option as I've exhausted all avenues with CSO directly.

Suing is exactly the same as filing a claim with MoneyClaim online. The MoneyClaim service is simply an online way of beginning the claim. It is much faster and easier than beginning a claim to sue somebody using the traditional paper forms and sending them off or taking them to a court and getting them processed over-the-counter. In fact over-the-counter court service is very difficult nowadays and some courts are insisting that you make appointments

You will almost certainly find that HSBC will simply repurchase the account from Arrow Global and then offset it.

I will leave a message for those on the site team who understand this third party offsetting.. hopefully they will be able to provide more information for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks, I appreciate that very much.

I thought Canada Square Operations were Citibank?

Can they still repurchase a debt that has been settled Full & Final?

My Apologies.. I just assumed that it was HSBC, who I understand have their Head office at 8 Canada Square :)

Aha..yes.. you made a full and final settlement didn't you.. now that is a different matter I would think - let the guys on the site team advise further. :)

BCOBS

My Apologies.. I just assumed that it was HSBC, who I understand have their Head office at 8 Canada Square :)

Aha..yes.. you made a full and final settlement didn't you.. now that is a different matter I would think - let the guys on the site team advise further. :)

Appreciate it - thanks.

it is better now for the sakes of history

the three threads are merged now

as this is heading to court.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

it is better now for the sakes of history

the three threads are merged now

as this is heading to court.

It may or may not be, I really don't know given that I can't seem to find the right info anywhere, and I've searched. Plenty of people simply say they can't do it if a debt has been sold to a 3rd party but nobody seems to know what to do if the bank still insist it can.

Could the title perhaps be updated to more accurately reflect the whole issue then, rather than the specific information I'm seeking at the moment?

yes that was my next move

sri got called away...

ims21 referred to the relevant info in post 27

dx

and they

Think it might be worth popping in on this one.

CSO have a VERY bad habit of offsetting to third parties. FOS are currently in "discussion" with them about this, (my case being one of the several they are discussing). Unfortunately, FOS are not giving away any of the details of these discussions. You may want to consider adding to the FOS caseload rather then court action. I don't know which would be better but I'm sure someone on here will.

For Info, below is my last communication from FOS on this issue. This was September 2014.

I write in relation to your Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) complaint against Canada Square Operations.

I apologise that I am unable to provide you with any extensive updates on your complaint at this time. My senior colleagues are still investigating the approach that Canada Square has taken when paying part of your redress to the Third Party, Arrow, when it initially investigated your complaint.

Again, I am unsure of how long these discussions are going to take but as soon as I am able to provide you with a substantial update I will call you to do so.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have got any questions.

Yours sincerely

REMEMBER! Hunger is the enemy - NOT the hungry!

Jedicris, that's extremely useful, given that you're in exactly the same situation as me. Do you think I should go ahead and sign the paperwork to at least get 75% of the cash and then refer the complaint to the FOS with regards to the set-off portion?

I'd love to keep in contact with your progress.

H Rangers,

Only you can decide which is best for you, you're the only one who knows your circs. I would be inclined to get what I can and then battle it out. Bear in mind that my case has now been going on for 2 1/2 years and no sign of it being finished yet.

Court may be quicker but then you have the hassle of upfront costs and preparing your case. For all I know FOS may decide next week and then you wont have to wait 2 1/2 years first. LOL

It might be worth firing another shot across CSO bows and mentioning the FOS investigation and that you will be including yourself in that investigation and see if it shifts them.

Good luck

REMEMBER! Hunger is the enemy - NOT the hungry!