• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

EGG want to offset PPI against sold debt - **WON NO OFFSET**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Slightly complex claim here. I topped up an Egg loan at the beginning of 2007. The total cash amount of the loan was £9331 and the payment protection premium lent was £1730.85 with the total amounts payable at £10668.00 and £1979.04 respectively.

I subsequently defaulted on the loan and it was sold to various debt collection companies, ending up most recently with Arrow Global. They stated that the purchase balance of the account was £8193.79, down from the £11061.85 advanced by Egg.

Added to the complications, I now live in the USA. Restons for Arrow Global obtained a CCJ by default judgment against me and I applied to have it set aside once I found out about it. I ended up deciding to settle with them and we eventually agreed on £3000.00 in full and final settlement of the account.

So I have effectively repaid £5868.06 of the debt, plus whatever interest that I'm unable to calculate.

In the meantime, over a year ago I was sent a letter by Canada Square Operations asking me to complete a complaint questionnaire, as I belong to group of customers who MAY have been affected by a PPI policy being mis-sold. I never sent it as at the time I still owed the debt. The letter they sent noted that the debt had be sold on to another company and asked permission to contact them to find out the status of the debt.

Since I have now settled the debt I filled out the questionnaire and sent it off. I'm wondering what I can expect given the circumstances surrounding my case. I'm also wondering if they will respond to me at my US address?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

As the account has been sold on then Egg will have no right of set off so any PPI redress should be paid to you.

I don't see any reason why they should not correspond with you overseas although you may have to send them evidence of your new address.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've made a mistake.

I live in the US and have a CCJ for £1182 which has been secured with a charging order

against an interest in a property I own in the UK which was for an Egg credit card.

I submitted a claim for mis-sold PPI to Canada Square Operations for an Egg loan I also had.

They wrote back to me today saying that they've upheld my complaint and are offering £4589.25 before tax on the 8% interest.

Then I read this part:

As your account is still open, your account will be credited with £940.91 within 20 working days of our receipt of your acceptance form,

to put your loan in the position it would have been in had you not taken PPI.

My credit report shows the Egg credit card as 'satisfied' with the date satisfied listed as 5/05/2008.

The debt eventually ended up with Sigma Red Limited, who secured the charging order against my property.

In other words, the debt was sold on and Egg don't own it anymore.

My credit report says the default balance was £807.

Sigma Red are reporting the balance as £1436.

CSO as I said are setting off £940.91.

I gather they have no basis to do this, as the account is not still open as they said, and hasn't been for a long time.

There's one big problem. I just signed the acceptance form and posted it.

It'll take the letter a while to make it to them, perhaps I could send something by express to beat the letter I sent via standard mail?

Otherwise if they apply the funds to their 'open' account,

what happens with respect to the debt currently with Sigma Red?

Wish I'd not raced out to mail that acceptance back tonight.

if the debt they wish to offset against was sold and a third party got the CCJ/CO

they CANNOT off set

see the FOS website.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

why not ring them?

Canadian square normally are very good.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This satisfied/settled note - is it on your credit file ?

This is usually means that the account has been sold on

- it is only settled/satisfied with the original creditor because they have received payment from the new owner.

IMHO, this is quite confusing for those reading their files as many assume that the account has indeed been cleared.

You might also want to establilsh why there is such a discrepancy in the figures that are being reported.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This satisfied/settled note - is it on your credit file ? This is usually means that the account has been sold on - it is only settled/satisfied with the original creditor because they have received payment from the new owner.

IMHO, this is quite confusing for those reading their files as many assume that the account has indeed been cleared.

You might also want to establilsh why there is such a discrepancy in the figures that are being reported.

I assume the figures vary due to interest and charges? Either way I still want to know if I've completely fudged it by signing the acceptance or if there's anything I can try to do?

Yes, definitely send an e-mail immediately to the creditor and state therein that this communication of 26 July 2014 supersedes my letter dated __________(state the date) and all material served therewith is extinguished hereby.

Tell them in your e-mail, that the law requires them to place you in the position that you would have been in had they not mis-sold the ppi to you and that they have no legal right under the laws of England and Wales to place the loan back in the position that the loan would have been in had they not mis-sold the ppi thereon to you.

The law of restitution requires that you are compensated by being placed in the position you would have been in at the start of the loan and not the loan!!

They are taking the p*ss with their contention to put the loan back to its original position!

Kind regards

The Mould

I'm going to attempt to intercept the postman when he picks up from the postbox and see if I can persuade him to give me my letter back.

They don't even own the debt any more so where would the funds go?

To the agency that owns the debt now?

I want to resolve the debt but I was going to go about it a different way,

try to have the CCJ set aside and settle with them if I had to.

It seems this way they'll pay the £940 but I'll still owe all the extra in charges and fees.

I thought you said they WERE going to offset to the debt buyer...

so what actually did the letter say?

and they

The letter says what I posted originally:

As your account is still open, your account will be credited with £940.91 within 20 working days of our receipt of your acceptance form,

to put your loan in the position it would have been in had you not taken PPI.

From that, it doesn't seem too clear to me. My account (with them) is not still open. They sold it on years ago.

then tell them so.

dx

and they

doubt it.

did what you sign [part] state about off set.

and they

The part I signed and returned included this line:

I accept your offer of redress of £4589.25 as stated in the final response letter as full and final settlement of this complaint.

I understand that £1266.26 of the offer of redress above has been awarded as compensatory interest and £253.25 of that will be withheld for tax purposes and paid directly to HM Revenue & Customs.

I understand that the account will be adjusted by £940.91

I request that the money due to be is paid in the following form:

A cheque payable to Rangers123 for £3395.09

This is what I sent:

Dear Ian Clark,

Re: My Egg Loan accounts 123, 456 & 789

This communication of 28 July 2014 supersedes my letter dated 25 July 2014 and all material served therewith is extinguished hereby.

I write with reference to your final response to my complaint (your ref: EGG/xxx) to which your investigation concluded that my complaint had been upheld and that consequently you would be refunding all premiums applied to my accounts together with contractual interest and compensatory interest in the total amount of £4589.25.

However, your letter incorrect states that my account is still open and £940.91 would be credited to it. Upon checking my credit report, I note that the status of my account with Egg is listed as ‘Settled’ with the ‘Date Satisfied’ listed as 15/05/2008. I therefore conclude that I have no open accounts with your company and therefore you have no right of set off so all PPI redress should be paid to me. The law requires you to place me in the position that I would have been in had you not mis-sold the PPI to me and you have no legal right under the laws of England and Wales to place the loan back in the position that the loan would have been in had you not mis-sold the PPI to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted before how my complaint to Canada Square Operations had been successful and they awarded me £4589.25.

They want to set off £940.91 to Arrow Global for a debt they sold them.

Incidentally, the letter they sent said they sold it to Arrow in May 2005 which isn't true,

that account wasn't even originally opened with Egg until 2006.

I have settled the debt with Arrow Global and had the CCJ successfully set aside.

Canada Square won't seem to budge on this.

Here's the latest letter they sent me:

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

I can confirm the adjustment amount is not being paid into an account open with Canada Square Operations.

The adjustment is being paid into your open account with Arrow Global Receivables Management Limited (Arrow).

Arrow took charge of the account in May 2005,

the information we received from them on 3 July 2014 indicated the account was still open and had an outstanding balance.

Consequently, your account will be credited with £940.91 within 20 working days of our receipt of your signed acceptance form

(and valid address change proof), to put your loan in the position it would have been in had you not taken PPI.

This is in line with Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) guidelines.

As a result of the adjustment mentioned above your monthly contractual repayments may change.

Arrow Global Receivables Management Limited will be writing to you shortly after the above adjustment has been completed to confirm

any changes to your monthly repayments.

Please accept our apologies for any confusion caused regarding the direction of the adjustment funds.

What can I do or say?

I have a letter from Arrow Global stating that this debt is settled.

Edited by Rangers123
Image of letter too small to read

Borrowing from old threads I pieced together the following email:

Dear Ian Clark,

Re: My Egg Loan accounts xyz

I received your recent correspondence (your ref: xyz) dated 11 August 2014 in which you state that you will pay a third party, Arrow Global Receivables Management Limited (Arrow), £940.91 of my total redress of £4589.25.

I do not agree with you 'adjusting' any part of my claim to Arrow or any other third party. Canada Square Operations no longer own the alleged debt and have no right to withhold monies in respect of it. Incidentally the alleged debt with Arrow has recently been settled to conclude the account with them, however if Arrow wished to pursue me for any amount they allege I owe them, then that is their prerogative, and between me and them, not the business of Canada Square Operations.

The authority for my views is the case of Edlington Properties v. Fenner & Co. Ltd [2005] EWHC 2158 (QB) which affirms this position that the assignor has no right of set-off to a third party (assignee) for a damages claim brought against it post-assignment, as any equitable set-off in this regard is personal in nature and the debt sold is not transferred subject to it.

Further information on the right of setoff can be found on the Financial Ombudsman's website which clarifies in layman's terms the rights of banks to take the action you indicated in your settlement: banking: firms' right of 'set off’. The information I’ve referred to can be found here:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

Accordingly, unless you reconsider and agree to repay the full amount to me direct, you leave me with no option but to commence court action against you for the full amount claimed plus costs.

Yours sincerely,

threads merged

please keep to one thread

the FOS do not say they can offset get them to prove where the FOS say they can 'specifically'

You no longer own the alleged debt and have no right to withhold monies in respect of it. If [Enter DCAlink3.gif Name] wish to pursue me for any amount they allege I owe them, that is their prerogative.

The authority for my views is the case of Edlington Properties v. Fenner & Co. Ltd [2005] EWHC 2158 (QB) which affirms this position that the assignor has no right of set-off to a third party (assignee) for a damages claim brought against it post-assignment, as any equitable set-off in this regard is personal in nature and the debt sold is not transferred subject to it.

Further information on the right of setoff can be found on the Financial Ombudsmanlink3.gif’s site which clarifies in layman’s terms the rights of banks to take the action you indicated in your settlement: banking: firms' right of 'set off'.

Accordingly, unless you reconsider and agree to repay the full amount to me direct, you leave me no option but to start a court claim against[Enter Bank Name] for the full amount of my PPIlink3.gif refund.

and they

• 3 weeks later...

So,

just shy of 3 weeks since I sent my last email to crt.pleaseassist and I've heard nothing back.

What is the court process?

Do I do the online money claim?

Can I use that service from the US?

It hasn't stopped other companies using it against me in the US in the past,

and the courts didn't care that I wasn't in the country

either when the boot was on the other foot.

• 2 weeks later...

Moderators, I know I have posted about this complaint when I was making it, but I believe this is a new issue now that I really need help with, and would appreciate if it was allowed to remain a separate thread.

To put it simply, Canada Square Operations upheld my complaint and awarded me £4589.25. They want to set off £940.91 to Arrow Global Receivables Management Limited, who they sold the debt to years ago.

I've written to them twice now, the first letter almost 2 months ago, with the text advised on here stating that they have no right of set off. I have not received any reply at all since then, except to say who they were setting off the money to and that they indicated the account was still open and had an outstanding balance (it isn't, I settled in full with them).

I just phoned the Financial Ombudsman helpline who wasn't sure, and said they'd call me back. They also said I needed to wait at least 2 months before they could do anything.

Caggers, what's my next step? I'm completely lost.