Dan LXIX

Supplied by breakers yard with wrong fuel tank

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1751 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I bought a replacement fuel tank from a breakers via Parts Gateway. They clearly had the correct details of the car and supplied a tank, which I had fitted by my local garage. When we came to fuel the car up, we found the nozzle wouldn't fit in the filler neck, because it was obviously a petrol tank, which has a smaller nozzle than the diesel.

Where do I stand will this? Clearly I could claim the cost of the tank back, but it's on the car and I'll be getting a bill for 3 hours labour very shortly, which will be about £120, and I'll have to pay for more labour to take it off and send it back. Can I claim the labour costs off the breakers?

BTW, this has all come about because someone drilled the tank to steal the diesel, so it's not been a happy process from the outset :x

Drill the tank to steal diesel?!?!

Amateurs!

They could have disconnect the diesel line and then reconnect it so they could have come back every week for more.

Just kidding.

Imo

I don't think you will get the labour costs out of a breaker.

Good mechanics would have checked that the tank was the correct one before wasting 3 hours labour.

Did you stipulate the car was the 'Petrol' version ?

Yes, the car was clearly identified as a diesel Parts Gateway does that based on the registration number.

I think it would have been up to you to check the part was the correct part.