I'm 53 years old have my City & Guilds and just been informed I'm an unskilled labourer!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3473 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I passed my City & Guilds with distinction in Scotland and even was presented with a silver personalised coin with my name imprinted around the edge for being the best in Scotland by the Lord Provist in the City Chambers.

I have been living in Spain for 23 years being a joiner there, came back to Scotland in February 2014 and was advised to take my CSCS Gold card as I would need this to be able to enter a construction site. I paid the fee and passed on the 2nd April.

After waiting my 30 days for my card I phoned the CSCS office as I had not received my card. I was then asked for proof of my certification from City & Guilds in which I did not have so I had to pay another £44.00 to City & Guilds for a hand search ( as I was pre computer) paid and they duly sent me a duplicate in which is on watermarked paper and has a silver monocromed stamp on the bottom left hand corner.

Tonight after many phone calls to CSCS they have told me that this certificate is not good enough and I need an NVQ and to achieve that I also need to pay £1100.00 to go on a site for someone to access my capabilities what an insult I have always been in work and proud of every job I have ever done for all of my 34 years as a joiner.

This is Not fair and not right and I want to take this further.....Anyone out there to support or give me advice Thank you in advance

I am Self Employed and have plenty of work at the moment fitting kitchens but, it is a matter of principal and what if I get an offer of working on site for a new housing estate I cannot even step onsite to submit a quote without this CSCS card.

It's wrong, my son had the same situation whereby the CSCS don't recognise C&G but do NVQ which is of far lower standard. You can get on site with the basic ops card so don't worry. It's all a [problem] run by cscs. This is one of the elements the govt is addressing with the new CDM regulations update. Any employer will recognise your C&G. Stuff cscs and go get a CCNSG card instead.