BankFodder BankFodder

TETSUO

eGlobal - refusing to homour warranty on faulty product (sony as100v - waterproof sports camera)

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2014 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

A few months ago my friend purchased a Sony as100v sports camera to bring on our summer holiday. These are similar to a Go-Pro and come with a waterproof case so the unit can be used to film underwater.

Day 1 of using the camera in the water resulted in the waterproof case failing and water getting into the camera itself, causing obvious damage.

We are familiar with these types of cameras as we already have an Sony HDRAS15 which is a slightly older model. The unit has been usedcorrectly, and at depths well within the limitation of the unit. We actually took the camera out of the case and submerged the unit in a few inches of water and, sure enough, it failed to remain water-tight.

This product was purchased (by debit card – sadly!) from anon-line retailer called eGlobal. The product is shipped from Hong Kong so does not come with a manufactures warranty,but did come with the retailers own 6 month warranty. The warranty itself all seems a bit vague,but it does have a section specifically referring to waterproof cameras, etc…

(fromthe site)

Special Note for Waterproof Cameras/Casings/Bags

Damages due to impact, exceeding recommended depths, etc. would void the warranty.Please be advised that the warranty offered is strictly for the purchased item only. eGlobaL will not be held liable for any defects or damage on any other item(s) used in conjunction with this product.

Full conditions: http://www.eglobaldigitalstore.co.uk/warranty-policy.html

My friend has provided proof or purchase, but has been advised by them that they will not replace or repair, as it is not covered. This seems contradictory….

I know he has some rights, but I am not entirely sure what the best course of action is to take. We would obviously prefer to avoid the small claims court if possible.

Any advice on an approach would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Co-op bank - won March 07

Virgin Credit Card - won - March 07

MBNA Credit Card - won March 07

Hi TETSUO

It's 'not as described' - waterproof, contact the Card Provider ask to carry out a Chargeback. Send the following template (amended), send it Recorded Delivery with any proof you have, i.e. description, pics of damage, etc

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback

SOGA 1979 applies:-

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

There is a time-limit of 120 days.

Thanks Rebel11.

Even though it was paid for on a debit card?

Yes, you will need to push it and be determined.

Thanks Rebel11.

Even though it was paid for on a debit card?

Love a good fight! Haven't done this since I reclaimed bank charges in 2007 :)

sorry to be a pain, but the Template link doens't link to a specific letter - was it supposed to?

I have a feeling that the camera could be a fake Sony.

Check for images on Sony website and see if you spot any difference.

You could also contact Sony directly and ask advice on how to spot a fake.

I know this won't give you the money back, but just for curiosity sake.

Chargeback is the route to get the money back as others suggested.