Partial Refund (13% of original value) on XFX PSU after 17 months.

Thunderbug
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I ordered a power supply from a retailer 17 months ago and it developed problems. I sent it back they found problems and they said that a replacement was not available so they would refund me, but they would only refund me £20. The product i bought (XFX 1050W Fully Modular PSU) cost £150. The warranty they provide is 2 years.

They gave me some crap about it being only expected to last 2 years. Now im sorry but a top end PSU only lasting 2 years is ludicrous, its beyond crazy. I would say a 4-5 year minimum on high end top quality PSU's indeed i have 2 others which were both high end at the time of purchase and they are both still going strong 6 and 4 years on.

Can i do anything here? Its quite frankly an exploitable part of UK Law and no matter what I say they just say "warranty 2 years = expected to last 2 years". I have tried explaining that the PSU in question should be expected to last for at least double the 2 year warranty but to no avail.

Im thinking of giving trading standards a ring cos I don't care what the retailer says they are ripping me off big time. Would this be a viable option or would i just be wasting my time.

Thanks in advance.

The correct way to work out the refund would be £150/24*17. The difference between the purchase price and amount of use denied (7 mth) should be what is refunded and not £20

Correct way would be: (150 / 24) * (24 - 17)

But as far as I'm aware, they are suppose to replace like for like, not partial refund?

Hi Thunderbug

Welcome to CAG

How did you pay for it?

Their 2 year warranty is irrelevant. The following applies:-

The PSU should last a reasonable time, clearly 17 months isn't a reasonable period.

What should be my corse of action, I have tried explaining to them that 17 months is not reasonable but they just keep ignoring it and repeating how through the sale of goods act they are allowed to take off the amount based on the of benefit I have gained from the item.

There's a question in my post, 'how did you pay?'

What should be my corse of action, I have tried explaining to them that 17 months is not reasonable but they just keep ignoring it and repeating how through the sale of goods act they are allowed to take off the amount based on the of benefit I have gained from the item.