Jump to content

Landlord telling my mum she is responsible for repairs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

My mum has been in her Private Rented house for 13 years. Her landlord is a local company who has several managers covering different areas.


The house is in a dire state and needs lots of work. The toilet in the bathroom is leaking (been reported but nothing done), the leaking toilet has caused some of the ceiling to fall down in the kitchen and the rest is sagging, the bathroom floorboards are rotten, the downstairs toilet doesn't flush, the back door is difficult to open and close (made of wood), most of the window frames (wooden) are completely rotten and my mum can't open several of them,


My mum never wants to make a fuss so I contacted the Landlord Manager by email. He told me to get my mum to contact him which she has now done (although she is not happy with me. Manager told her that she is responsible for the leaking toilet and the kitchen ceiling which I don't think is right. He also said that he has sent someone out several times to measure up for new windows but there is never anyone home (this cannot be true as my disabled father never leaves the house) and that the bathroom is getting replaced (but he told me this last year) and still has not been done.


Can anyone give me any advice on what I can do?

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Blondmusic


Here's some info:-






I would also take some pics of the things that need to be repaired.

Only communicate in writing, send every thing Recorded Delivery.

If you want to deal with this on behalf of your mother, get your mother to sign a letter of authority.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have already looked at all of that. My mum is worried that if she kicks up a fuss the landlord will evict her. I do have the managers email address to communicate with him. I will get my sister to take some pictures of the repairs that need to be done and take it from there.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:
Link to post
Share on other sites

Something else to consider is contact your local fire station and ask if they carry out free property fire safety inspections and if so book a visit.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have already looked at all of that. My mum is worried that if she kicks up a fuss the landlord will evict her.


From what you described, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look for somewhere else. Terrible to have a landlord that has no interest in anything other than money in their pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...