• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DLA stopped over the phone. Can someone help me?

sc867
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was granted DLA in 1997 for life (I still have the letter) but

recently received a 40 page booklet to complete because the award was "under review"

- even though it was awarded for life and has been increased twice as I became worse.

Yesterday I received a phone call from DWP telling me that the DLA had been stopped.

The lady couldn't tell me why, as she was not the person responsible for the file,

but that they needed further information and that a letter was in the post.

Nothing has arrived and I am at my wits end as to what to do.

We cannot survive without my money and there doesn't seem to be any organisation that can help people like me.

I do have depression and this big black hole is opening up again,

so much so that I just feel like going down to the railway line when it gets dark.

Hi sc867

First of all, stay calm, things often seem to be worse then they actually are, they can be dealt with successfully. The DWP are fickle and get things wrong at times. Have you written a Formal Letter of Complaint to the DWP to find out what's happening? Have you contacted your MP?

There is a lot you can do.

Also if you need to speak to someone contact:-

http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us

We can help you with your complaints.

I can't really help you but have you asked them to resend the letter

they stopped my daughters dla for pku in aug 13 when she reached 8 years old and we are still fighting them we have now reached the last stage ( secretary of state) and he has sent it back to the first tier and told them to ignore the first decision

What every you do don't give up but keep fighting them

This may be a long shot but the 40 page booklet they wanted you to fill in probably had a

limited time in which you needed to get it back to them. Probably 1 month.

My guess would be that because you did not return the booklet they have taken it that

you no longer require the award and have subsequently stopped it.

I would suggest contacting them directly on the phone to see exactly what the reason is

for them stopping the award.

It appears that currently if you have a award and and fail to send in any information that

they request they are jumping on the "you no longer require it" so stop the award you have.

This happened to my wife when we failed to pursue the PIP we enquired about because we

did not know that by simply asking for the forms we were actually starting the claim process.

Also you can try to talk to them and get your original claim re-instated which I believe they

sometimes do, However, if they say they will re-instate the original claim get them to send

you confirmation in writing.

phone and then they never did (they also had no info on their system to show we ever called).

Hi sc867

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do about it.

Send it to to the department that is dealing with your claim.

If possible keep everything in writing.

https://www.gov.uk/complain-disability

This may be a long shot but the 40 page booklet they wanted you to fill in probably had a

limited time in which you needed to get it back to them. Probably 1 month.

My guess would be that because you did not return the booklet they have taken it that

you no longer require the award and have subsequently stopped it.

I would suggest contacting them directly on the phone to see exactly what the reason is

for them stopping the award.

It appears that currently if you have a award and and fail to send in any information that

they request they are jumping on the "you no longer require it" so stop the award you have.

This happened to my wife when we failed to pursue the PIP we enquired about because we

did not know that by simply asking for the forms we were actually starting the claim process.

Also you can try to talk to them and get your original claim re-instated which I believe they

sometimes do, However, if they say they will re-instate the original claim get them to send

you confirmation in writing.

phone and then they never did (they also had no info on their system to show we ever called).

Hi neword - I made sure that I replied within the time limit and also paid extra to send it back so that it had to be signed for to prove delivery. I've phoned three times - they confirmed on the first call that they had received it the previous week (within the time limit) but that they couldn't discuss anything with me because the lady in charge of the case wasn't there. On every occasion that I've rung she wasn't there, so I still don't know why it's been stopped and I can't appeal because I haven't had any paperwork.

Hi sc867

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do about it.

Hi Rebel11, I can't make a formal complaint as I don't have any paperwork with decisions to complain about. All I can complain about is the fact that they have stopped my DLA over the phone and that nobody will tell me why or what the extra info is that they require. I can't even appeal! :sad:

Hi sc867

You can complain about the following, 'that nobody will tell me why or what the extra info is that they require'.

This is the DWP's Customer Charter dated April 2014:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/292673/customer-charter-dwp.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/our-customer-charter

It sounds like they haven't met the standards that they have set out in the Charter in your case.

Hi sc867

Hi Rebel11, I can't make a formal complaint as I don't have any paperwork with decisions to complain about. All I can complain about is the fact that they have stopped my DLA over the phone and that nobody will tell me why or what the extra info is that they require. I can't even appeal! :sad:

Thank you so much for that, I'll do that first thing in the morning and also send it so that they have to sign for it. It really gets to me - I used to have four jobs all at the same time (two voluntary) and in 1997 I was told (by the MOH for Devon) that I could no longer do anything. I've got worse since then, been told that it is "progressive and irreversible" and now I've lost my DLA, even though it has been increased twice since it was awarded to me. They must think I'm a fraud all of a sudden and that is upsetting me. I'm finding it very hard to cope.

Let us know how they respond, there are lots of things you can do, don't let them get you down ever. The guys are here for advice and support.

Thank you so much for that, I'll do that first thing in the morning and also send it so that they have to sign for it. It really gets to me - I used to have four jobs all at the same time (two voluntary) and in 1997 I was told (by the MOH for Devon) that I could no longer do anything. I've got worse since then, been told that it is "progressive and irreversible" and now I've lost my DLA, even though it has been increased twice since it was awarded to me. They must think I'm a fraud all of a sudden and that is upsetting me. I'm finding it very hard to cope.

Well thanks for clarifying that you returned the booklet in time as that makes my initial

post/thoughts invalid which is a good thing.

I am not sure if I am right here but

"If someone's case is under review surely they cannot stop the payments until after the review has been completed"

If this above statement is correct then that would suggest that the review had been completed and if it has been

completed then they must have the information on their systems.

Whenever i am told by the person that I am speaking to that they do not have any info on the system or that they

cannot tell you anything I always say "well put me through to someone that can". You have to be firm these days

and not let them get away with this sort of thing. If they keep fobbing you off just say that you are going to have

a word with your MP (or something along that line) and theres a chance you will get them to "find the person you need"

or find out more information concerning your situation.

Update: I've just telephoned again and the lady who is dealing with the case actually answered the phone. She said that by strange coincidence she had the file on her desk and took a few seconds to look at it. She then said that there IS a "suspension on the payments" but that it was not put there by her and that she did not know who had put it there or why. Apart from that there was nothing that she could do, but if she found anything out she would come back to me.

Therefore I am still in the position of not being able to appeal or protest about it because I don't know why it has been done and the letter that was "in the post" on Monday still hasn't arrived.

Hi sc867

Continue with your complaint, they should inform you as to what is going on with your claim. They have your file, 'but they don't know what's going on with your claim', they have notes on your claim 'but they don't know who put the notes on the system, stating your claim has been stopped, except it wasn't the person you spoke to', your expecting a letter but it hasn't turned up yet', this is against the 'DWP's Customer Charter'.

If they don't want to provide you with information. Send them a formal request.

Send them a SAR request. No fee required, they have 40 days to respond, they have to provide all the data they have on you. If they don't provide the info, make a complaint to the ICO. Send the SAR Recorded Delivery.

DWPrequest for personal information - Gov.uk

Futher update: I received another phone call last night (apparently the staff are working 12 hour shifts) from the lady in charge of the case. She told me that she had lifted the suspension of payments because she could not find out who had imposed it or why. I've checked with the bank and this month's DLA has now been paid into my account. She also said that she was now checking with my GP about the mobility part of the claim, which I suppose is fair, although they had already been told that my condition is "progressive and irreversible."

One question comes to mind. Am I going to have to go through all this again when they change my DLA to PIP next year?

Thank you for all your help and support, I do appreciate it as I find things very hard to cope with at times, amd this was one of them. I would guess that there's no point in doing anything else at the moment until I hear whether they are going to continue with my DLA payment. If they say no, then I'm going to have to appeal. I just wish there was some sort of organisation that helps claimants in this area. There is a "Claimants Union" in Plymouth, but they only help people who live in Plymouth.

From what I know. When you get migrated to pip. Dependant on how much evidence they have on file and how up to date that is will determine if they do a paper assessment or actually call you in to start the misery go round again.

Sorry :( system really does cause more stress than is needed

From what I know. When you get migrated to pip. Dependant on how much evidence they have on file and how up to date that is will determine if they do a paper assessment or actually call you in to start the misery go round again.

Sorry :( system really does cause more stress than is needed

A friend who has had rheumatoid arthritis for over 20 years and can hardly walk these days had to undergo a medical from DLA to PIP.

She was told they needed to update her records, and make an up-to-date assessment of her condition.

The good news was, she is know claiming the higher rate, as her condition had deteriorated, and she had not informed them as she was afraid to (in her words) rock the boat.

Hi sc867

Well Done on getting that resolved. As soon as you get PIP paperwork through update this thread. Then the guys can advise.

Futher update: I received another phone call last night (apparently the staff are working 12 hour shifts) from the lady in charge of the case. She told me that she had lifted the suspension of payments because she could not find out who had imposed it or why. I've checked with the bank and this month's DLA has now been paid into my account. She also said that she was now checking with my GP about the mobility part of the claim, which I suppose is fair, although they had already been told that my condition is "progressive and irreversible."

One question comes to mind. Am I going to have to go through all this again when they change my DLA to PIP next year?

Thank you for all your help and support, I do appreciate it as I find things very hard to cope with at times, amd this was one of them. I would guess that there's no point in doing anything else at the moment until I hear whether they are going to continue with my DLA payment. If they say no, then I'm going to have to appeal. I just wish there was some sort of organisation that helps claimants in this area. There is a "Claimants Union" in Plymouth, but they only help people who live in Plymouth.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update: Having been told on 26th Sept that DWP were going to check with my GP, I had to go and see her last week as I fell down again. I asked her what DWP wanted to know and she said that she hadn't received anything from them! Should I say nothing or should I pester DWP and risk upsetting them at possibly some cost to myself?

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update: my GP has told me today that she has just received the questionnaire from DWP regarding my DLA. What do you recommend that I do now? Should I just wait to hear from DWP or is there something more that I can do to help myself?

Thanks for that, LW. I wonder if it would pay to see the GP and go through her reply with her before she sends it back, or would that either be frowned on or not be allowed?

I can't see there being any objection to you seeing or consulting your GP, and what business would it be of anyone else?

I thought that there were strict rules about doctors divulging details of patients' health condition. For that reason alone I would expect that your GP would consult you before returning any details of your condition to DWP.