Louis Vuitton shoddy workmanship - refusing to offer refund/replacement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3474 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Cags,

My fiance purchased a Louis Vuitton bag from their flagship Bond Street store in London. The day after purchasing she noticed an odd scuff mark (not caused by her) on the inside top lining of the bag and on close inspection the paint is revealed to be noticeably peeling off in an area of around 1 cm square.

Not knowing her rights she approached me a couple days later with the issue and I took a look and believe that this item was sold to her defective and that she should be entitled to a full refund under consumer law. She was not afforded the opportunity to inspect the item upon purchasing as they gave her a sealed boxed item to take away. She paid using her debit card unfortunately. A week after purchasing she attempted to return the bag to the store only to be told by the store manager that 'the bag is worn and cannot be returned under Louis Vuitton guidelines'.

We immediately sent a letter requesting a replacement/refund under UK consumer law. No reply for 2 weeks and we sent a letter before action with legal threat. My fiance had a phone call and Louis Vuitton refused to give refund however they have offered to send the item to their Paris Quality Control team for checking - however no possibility was given for a refund or replacement.

We gave them a deadline of Friday 26th November after which time we have threatened legal action. They have 4 days.

Do we need to hand the bag over to them for 'quality control checking'?!?!?! What madness is this!? I am guessing it's just a run around.

Please advise.

BANKING

Halifax - £428.43 - successful claim

Halifax PPI - £380 - successful claim

NatWest - £2853 - Successful Claim

Barclaycard - £663 - Successful Claim

Barclaycard PPI - £360 - Successful Claim

RETAIL

Lastminute.com - £190 - Successful Claim

Benson For Beds - £49 - Successful Claim

Santander - £420 - Successful claim to have iMac repaired under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act (Retailer went bust)

Hi 99point

Contact your Card Provider, ask to carry out a Chargeback. Amend the following template (scroll down, select the correct one), send it Recorded Delivery. Time limits apply, the ones in the link are wrong, it's 120 days.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback

Chargeback isn't enshrined in law, the Card Provider will contact Louis Vuitton, lets see what they say.

SOGA 1979 (amended) applies.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Let us know what they say.

Why wouldn't you hand the bag over to be checked for quality control? Staff in the store wont know the difference between damage caused by you and damage caused by poor/faulty workmanship. Thats like asking a car garage receptionist to investigate the knocking in your engine bay. She is a receptionist, not a mechanic. I would send the bad off recorded and see what they say. But that's just me. In court, if you actually take it that far, you would be used to wipe the floor with as they have offered to inspect it and you have effectively refused.

My initial thought when they asked us to drop the bag off to be sent for 'quality checking' was that it was some form of trickery. Because... if we don't give them the bag and bring them to court they can say 'well Louis Vuitton offered to inspect the bag and the purchaser said no'. And we get chucked out.

And yet even if we send it all the way to Paris at additional postal expense to us they can turn around and say 'this bag was damaged by the owner' which again leaves us in a difficult situation!

BANKING

RETAIL

Santander - £420 - Successful claim to have iMac repaired under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act (Retailer went bust)

My initial thought when they asked us to drop the bag off to be sent for 'quality checking' was that it was some form of trickery. Because... if we don't give them the bag and bring them to court they can say 'well Louis Vuitton offered to inspect the bag and the purchaser said no'. And we get chucked out.

And yet even if we send it all the way to Paris at additional postal expense to us they can turn around and say 'this bag was damaged by the owner' which again leaves us in a difficult situation!

And at that point where they say its your fault, you then send it for your own independent assessment and if that's finds in your favour then send a copy of it along with a letter asking for an amicable resolution. Failing that, I would then start the lba and court. Out of interest, what the rough value?

£720 for the LV bag - a lot of hard earned money for my fiance.

BANKING

RETAIL

They won't exchange it unfortunately.

BANKING

RETAIL

Ok - I'll draft the chargeback letter tonite and hopefully we get some kind of response from the bank as soon as possible.

Contact your Card Provider, ask to carry out a Chargeback. Amend the following template (scroll down, select the correct one), send it Recorded Delivery. Time limits apply, the ones in the link are wrong, it's 120 days.

BANKING

RETAIL

• 3 weeks later...

So it's 3 weeks since we sent a chargeback letter recorded delivery to Barclays and no reply.

I am considering sending Barclays a reminder or follow up letter - thing is we expected a reply by now!

BANKING

RETAIL