• Tweets

• I'm afraid that if the value of the item was under declared then that is probably the best that you can hope for. Also, because the item was incorrectly addressed – even by a single letter, if that because the issue relating to the delivery then that has probably compounded the problem. There is probably very little that can be done. If you are lucky you will get the item back and then you can start again and declare it properly. Undervaluing parcels which are sent by any means is always going to cause a problem if the item is lost or damaged. It may mean that the cost of delivery is slightly less – but at the end of the day the risk becomes yours. When you enter into any kind of contract, effectively you declare it a level of risk to your contracting partner – and they decide to enter into the contract with you based on that level of risk. You have declared a level of risk and £50 – and that's the deal.   Additionally, undervaluing an item which is an internationally has the effect also of evading customs and any VAT system which is in force in that country – and that makes the whole thing a little bit more serious
    • Perfect. Nice and brief and to the point. You don't bother to start telling your life story. Just the way it should be. Send it off. You have probably done enough reading to understand that it won't make any difference don't start drafting your particulars of claim. Open an account with the MoneyClaim County Court system and start preparing. Post your particulars of claim here before you click it off. You may have noticed that at some point you will be asked if you want to go to mediation on this. We used to advise it but now we recommend that you decline mediation and go to trial. Your chances of success are much better than 95%. Going to trial will incur an additional hearing fee but of course you will get that back. However if you go to mediation, they will simply try to penny pinch and to get you to compromise and also they will sign you up to a confidentiality agreement and probably threaten you if you breach it. Not only that, if the mediation fails because you stand your ground, it will add additional delay while they then give you a date to go to trial. The best thing to do is to decline mediation – prepare for court hearing. Pay the extra fee. The chances are that rather than get a judgement against them they will then offer you a full settlement rather than go to court. If they do offer you full settlement then you will be obliged to accept it – but that's what you want. If they don't offer you full settlement then you will go to trial and there will be a judgement against them. Just so that you understand, our first interest is that you get your money back – but a close second is that it does go to trial and there is a judgement which we will then be able to use to help other people. Anyway as you should realise, we will help you all the way.
    • I sent a parcel to Singapore but i spelt the address incorrecltly by 1 letter so the parcel couldnt be delivered and was returned back to the Uk but checking the tracking today the parcel had returned to the UK but is somehow on its way back to Singapore as the tracking says "Item leaving the UK"    Ive spoken ( tweeted) Royal Mail help who confirm that the parcel seems to be going back to Singapore and that if its not " Delivered" by the 29th of April theyll deem it as lost and will accept a claim but i cant remeber when booking what the compensation amount was but i dont think it covers the amount of the item.  As it was my fault that it wasnt delivered in the first place can i trey and claim the full amount back ? i think if i remember correctly it was £50 compensation but the item was £170 So the timeline is thus ...   22nd Of March .    Booked via P2G & dropped off a Post Office.  25th March arrives in Singapore and goes through customs ect ect 26th   Incorrect address and item is flagged as "return to sender" 28th Item leaves Overseas intenational processing centre 15th of April , Item is leaving the Uk (Again)   ?    
    • Post the NTK up here for the regulars to double-check. I highly doubt it's compliant with POFA though. Ignore the deforestation that comes unless it's ever a letter of claim. Any luck with the organ grinder?
    • Probably the case @lookinforinfo Also an update, I've got the registered keeper letter. Just to check that I continue to ignore it until PAP letter comes in?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Marlin/Restons Claimform - old Lloyd Loan 'debt' statute barred

myotai
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm aware that this is a really old chestnut so I apologise in advance.

If the last payment in an unsecured loan was in June 2008. Then the account was closed by the bank in October 2008 (I had no and at all in the account being closed).

Can someone confirm that the Cause of Action was one month after the last payment and NOT when the account was closed?

Replies very much appreciated and any evidence or examples to prove the above would be fantastic.

M...

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the last payment in an unsecured loan was in June 2008. Then the account was closed by the bank in October 2008 (I had no and at all in the account being closed).

Can someone confirm that the Cause of Action was one month after the last payment and NOT when the account was closed?

Replies very much appreciated and any evidence or examples to prove the above would be fantastic.

M...

Hi Welcome to CAG.

You are correct for unsecured loans and credit cards.

There have been some claims from DCAs that the Appeal Court decision in BMW Finance - v - Hart (re Hire Purchase Account) has effect on unsecured loans and credit card debts.

I believe this has failed and debt such as yours will SB from the last payment.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks so much.

Could details of a loan agreement override Limitations Act. I don't have the agreement and neither does the DCA or they haven't produced it.

In my opinion NO the contract cannot change statute law.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

It has been known on many occasion for the claimant to pull out at the very last moment.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

M...

The cause of action would be when they were entitled to claim the money under the agreement. This has nothing ot do with BMW v hart.(which incidentally has not been overturned)

it may well be that they have let the account run until its natural termination and this would be the cause of action in any case it is unlikey to be after just one missed payment other than that it would be the date the account was closed I am afraid.

I presume this date was after the issuance of a default notice ?

In my opinion NO the contract cannot change statute law.

Which statute is that exactly ?

Unsecured credit debts

Unsecured credit debts are things like credit cards, store cards, personal loans and catalogues. When using the Limitation Act, these debts are often called ‘simple contract debts’.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/25%20EW%20Time%20limits%20for%20recovering%20debts/Page-02.aspx

The Limitation Act says that the limitation period for simple contract debts is six years.

The cause of action (when the limitation period starts running) for simple contract debts, is usually when your agreement says the creditor is able to take court action because you have fallen behind with payments. This is normally after one or two missed payments. Sometimes, a debt will have no set repayment time. For these sorts of debts, working out the cause of action is more difficult. Contact us for advice.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

have you actually sent the dca a CCA request?

tell us the story please

before this thread descends into the old silly battle from before on what is or not sb'd

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

have you actually sent the dca a CCA request?

tell us the story please

before this thread descends into the old silly battle from before on what is or not sb'd

dx

I thought that the issue had been decided DX, in any case , the SB period has to start form when the creditor can first recover the money, this is down to the contract.

This is the best case scenario. It may be that the OP has a clause which would allow the creditor to enforce after one missed payment in which case he should be fine, but this would be unusual in my experience and certainly the CCA recommend that such agreements give at least the opportunity to remedy , they generally leave themselves time to send two section 86 notices and one default before they enforce. But as said we really need to look at the contract before making any rash statements.

Incidentally I do not think it is a silly battle. I understand that this particular issue was fully understood by the site team.

Just because one poster does not seem to want to accept or understand the facts of the matter and continues to spread mis-information, there seems to be an attitude of, oh well let him get on with it, can't be bothered.

Sorry i can.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I don't have the original contract and it's not been produced in the last 6 years.

They (DCA) sent a list of statements that shows my last payment was over six years ago.

They (bank) closed the account in Oct 2008. This is what the DCA are stating is the cause of action.

I have been told by every single person I have spoken to about this that they're wrong and the cause of action remains one month after my last payment (the payment was an arrangement with the bank too, it was a reduced payment).

I also have been told that the contract cannot alter the law (Statue Law) and change when a cause of action started.

I wish someone would just tell me definitively where I stand.

Well no , as you can see national debtline do nt tell you this, nor do any other of the advice agencies.

It may not be what you want to hear but they may well be right. It depends on the contract.

If they have not closed the account it may be that they were not entitled too until there were a certain amount of arrears and only at this point would they be able to commence proceedings, the statute you refer to defines the cause of action in a case of contract as when the creditor can commence proceedings, not when a payment is missed, this is a common misconception. There is lots and lots of case law which confirms this fact.

This is not to say that you still cannot argue SB, and once you say that the agreement is, it is up to them to prove that it is not, the burden of proof is reversed, but it is best to beware oi the correct legal situation.

I disagree. If what you say is true why would a creditor ever make themselves responsible for starting a cause of action. In my case what you're saying is that by closing the account the bank started the cause of action. That was foolish of them then. Why would they do that and put a time limit in their case???

The National Debtline clearly state that the Cause of action is from when the credit or can claim back the money. One month after a missed payment. Again if what you say is right then the cause of action would have started about 10 years ago when I first came to an agreement with them.

I also have a solicitors letter categorically stating that my case is extremely strong.

The DCA have produced nothing at all ever to substantiate their claim. Nothing.

I disagree. If what you say is true why would a creditor ever make themselves responsible for starting a cause of action. In my case what you're saying is that by closing the account the bank started the cause of action. That was foolish of them then. Why would they do that and put a time limit in their case???

The National Debtline clearly state that the Cause of action is from when the credit or can claim back the money. One month after a missed payment. Again if what you say is right then the cause of action would have started about 10 years ago when I first came to an agreement with them.

Then I hope for your sake you are correct however it i not what the law says, nor incidentally what NDL do. I could post all the evidence for you. but it has already been posted on here many times, i suggest you look it up and and understand the situation.

Huh?? It's not what I am stating. It's what the solicitor states. The Limitations Act and everyone else apart from you have stated.

Can you back up your contentions? Otherwise I'll go with what everyone else is stating.

Huh?? It's not what I am stating. It's what the solicitor states. The Limitations Act and everyone else apart from you have stated.

Can you back up your contentions? Otherwise I'll go with what everyone else is stating.

I doubt that a qualified solicitor would give you such incorrect information, although it is not impossible. not sure what you mean about "backing up", the national debt-line piece is a simple explanation of the situation. i am afraid if you want a more detailed explanation you sill have to look up the other threads as stated.

You will always get people to tell you what you want to hear of course.

Not sure why you think I want to hear anything other than the facts.

You said: CCA recommend that such agreements give at least the opportunity to remedy , they generally leave themselves time to send two section 86 notices and one default before they enforce.

When they decide to enforce is up to them are you suggesting this changes the law?

Anyway, as you say others have taken the time to offer advice in here. I was under the impression that this was a forum for discussion and not a database of statements to be searched.

For the record I have just spoken to the National Debtline and the concur with my stance.

Effectively it's like this. The speed limit is 30mph. That's the law. Just because the contract for my new car states in the first month I can go as fast as I like doesn't mean this changes the law.

Cause of action starts from one or two months after the last payment.

Can anyone at all in here demonstrate anything at all ever that contradicts this?

IMHO, if you are going to claim statute barred then you need to think carefully about the following.

1. When was the last payment made to the account ?

2. You can start calculating from the time the first payment becomes due and is missed.. so the month following the last payment.

3. At that point, the creditor CAN start the process to recover any arrears.

4. Issue a default notice giving the statutory 14 days to remedy. The Statutory Notice (Default Notice) makes it quite clear that if the breach isn't remedied, then they are entitled to take further recovery action.. report to the credit agencies - issue a termination notice and issue court proceedings. Sell on to a 3rd party.

5. Just because they DONT take that action is irrelevenant IMHO, they CAN - the regulations, law, etc permits them to.

So take the last payment made add at least 2-3 months for all of the above to occur. From that point if you claim statute barred, then it is up to the claimant to prove otherwise.

You cannot start the SB clock from the last payment made - it has to start from the first payment MISSED.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Please read my post.. I said.. IMHO add 2 or 3 months. I then went on to explain my reasoning.

BCOBS

So why on earth would a creditor do that? It sets a clock ticking limiting the amount of time they can retrieve the debt. Why not 6 months or two years.

Also I need to know where the Limitations Act states this. Otherwise it's merely conjecture and opinion. I might as well say IMHO add two weeks?

Sorry to sound facetious but you get my gist?

I need facts here.....are there any? Has anyone ever discovered a definitive answer to when a cause of action starts?

The Limitation Act seems to be clear. It's one month after a missed payment.

Am I really missing something here?

Also why has the DCA in question taken nearly 9 months from the initial letter to take me to court?

Why not just produce the evidence and be done with it.

Massively confusing and contradictory information :(

well you could start with this , incidentally there is a national debt-line adviser on here and I know for a fact that he does not "agree with your stance "

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/75.html

http://www.inhouselawyer.co.uk/index.php/contract/7297-implications-of-contractual-termination-clauses-on-common-law-rights

CONCLUSION

This case confirms that the starting position is that a contractual termination clause, however detailed, will not exclude an innocent party’s common law right to treat a contract as discharged and seek damages, following a sufficiently serious breach. Typically, the circumstances in which termination is permitted under the contract will be regarded as events that the parties have decided correspond with breaches that the common law would recognise as giving rise to similar rights.

OK a long winded reason why a contractual termination clause is needed to end a contract and thus permit the creditor to be able to demand early repayment, not just a missed payment.

When you have read and digested this, we can talk and perhaps I will give you some more confirmation :)

Well the advisor needs to talk to the other advisor then.....?

More confusion!

Just reading now, thanks...

So they have to close an account to demand payment. That's ridiculous. That means nobody ever has to pay bank charges, overdraft fees whilst an account is open...Ad infinitum!

So despite the fact I disagree what can we talk about as this all makes the Limitation Act a farce!

So why on earth would a creditor do that? It sets a clock ticking limiting the amount of time they can retrieve the debt. Why not 6 months or two years.

Also I need to know where the Limitations Act states this. Otherwise it's merely conjecture and opinion. I might as well say IMHO add two weeks?

Sorry to sound facetious but you get my gist?

I need facts here.....are there any? Has anyone ever discovered a definitive answer to when a cause of action starts?

The Limitation Act seems to be clear. It's one month after a missed payment.

Am I really missing something here?

Citizen Bs advice is all you need the rest is of no use to your case.

Just because " certain user" wants to complicate matter and disagree with all else does not make that user right.

No the limitation act is quite clear, it just does not function in exactly the way you think it does.

More reading here

Reeves V Butcher Coburn V Colledge [1897] 1 QB 702

or

Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea v Khan [2002] EWCA Civ 279

or

West Bromwich Building Socierty V Wilkinson.

or

Congregation Union Inc v Harriss and Harriss [1988] 1 ALL ER

Basically the creditor has to have six years in which he can enforce, thjs is what the act says, so he has to be able to take proceedings, if a contractual entitlement prevents him from doing so the period cannot start, it is not a matter of him choosing to delay the start of the SB period, all this is conjecture in your case because we have not seen your agreement, but it is not as cut and dried as some would have you believe and that is what we are trying to tell you , so that you are aware.