Opus energy revenue protection services,

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Please could I get some advice regarding an issue with opus energy.

My father who owns a takeaway was visited by 2 British has guys on behalf of opus energy

to check the meter (something which they did on all the shops on the parade) .

After a quick check they advised my father the meter is over 20 years old so would therefore need to be replaced.

They phoned back after a few days and made an appointment to visit and exchange it.

On the day of the visit, 4 guys turned up (not sure why it required 4 of them) and went about their work

about 15 mins later they produced a seal and told my father this wasn't the correct seal.

My father simply said oh ok, as he wouldn't have a clue about it.

They then went to leave and before doing so told my father the meter reading had been written down on a piece of pAper and left by the phone.

Having only read the letter 2 days later (as my father assumed it was just a meter reading as advised)

it's from revenue protection services for opus energy stating

'we have reason to believe the gas meter may have been prevented from registering all the gas used.

We have therefore removed the meter and placed it in a sealed box which will remain sealed until the meter is removed for testing'

It then says to call a number if we wish to witness the test being carried out or have any queries.

This has come as a huge shock to my father who's not sure what to do as it appears he's being accused (pending tests) of energy theft.

The gas men seem to have taken all the above action yet not once mentioned to my father, the meter wasn't even sealed infront of him either.

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with such an issue and have any advise they could please share,

Please advise

Midlands bloke

Hi midlands

How long has your father owned the business?

Has Opus always been the provider of gas to the business?

Who has the 'seal' now?

Opus don't seem to have covered themselves in glory with their conduct, it wouldn't take 15 minutes to check the 'seal'.

Hi rebel

My father has owned the business for about 7 years now apart from approx March 2012 to nov 2012, when it was sub leased.

My father was with utility warehouse prior to subletting and in feb 2013 went with opus,

as the tennant had joined with another company in his 6 months there whilst leaving unpaid bill.

The guys who checked the meter took the seal with them.

Sorry if I was unclear earlier, they took approx 15 minutes to swap the meter.

And at the end produced the seal which they queried with my father

The first thing to do is to reconcile the bill's for the last 7 years, does that show any anomalies?

I would also contact a solicitor before you do anything, explain what's happened.

You haven't received any proof that the 'seal' has been changed other then there say so.

It's a good idea to take their offer to witness the box being opened as they are making accusations.

Hi rebel

My father has owned the business for about 7 years now apart from approx March 2012 to nov 2012, when it was sub leased. My father was with utility warehouse prior to subletting and in feb 2013 went with opus, as the tennant had joined with another company in his 6 months there whilst leaving unpaid bill.

The guys who checked the meter took the seal with them. Sorry if I was unclear earlier, they took approx 15 minutes to swap the meter. And at the end produced the seal which they queried with my father

Hi rebel

Thanks for your reply. I'd have to speak with my father to see if he can remember the various companies he's used in the past 7 years. Now shouldn't the opus guys have made their intentions clear from the begining and also have sealed the meter infront of my father? What if the previous sub leasee had tampered with the meter how could we prove it. I'll take the initial steps and contact our solicitor first and take it from there.

All valid points, you will need to state to them that they did not seal the meter infront of you, but now they are asking you to attend when they open it, that makes no sense whatsoever, not professional and a meaningless excercise. You have proof that the business was sub-leased for a period, if they tampered with the meter, then I can't see how you can be held responsible. Get all the information together, write down in detail what has happened from the initial visit from OPUS, the two men, then work from there. They didn't even explain what the letter was, suggesting it was the meter reading. All very suspicious. Once you have all the facts, a letter from your solicitor explaing the above to OPUS.

Hi rebel

Thanks for your reply. I'd have to speak with my father to see if he can remember the various companies he's used in the past 7 years. Now shouldn't the opus guys have made their intentions clear from the begining and also have sealed the meter infront of my father? What if the previous sub leasee had tampered with the meter how could we prove it. I'll take the initial steps and contact our solicitor first and take it from there.

• 2 months later...