Fraudulent quote

stoneman56
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am in dispute with a builder and have made a claim against him via the small claims system.

I am trying to get the last £350 out of him for a job,

he has now defended and counter claimed saying some of the work is faulty

and has gotten a quote from a local company to rectify the work,

this is where I need advise.

The quote is part of the claim package and

it is obvious that the builder has got the company to really load the quote so that I would in fact owe him money.

Example, the job would require removing 20 no. tiles from a window sill and replacing them,

the quote for this is, wait for it, £500!!!

The company that supplied the quote are based 3 miles away and they want to charge 3 days traveling totalling £150.

Then there is £350 labour and materials on top.

The quote has been padded out deliberately to extract money out of me,

and seeing that the defendant has added it to a legal document

is this not some sort of perjury, deception, or whatever it might be called?

Have you sought other quotes to do the work?

£500 for removing 20 tiles and replacing them does sound a bit steep to me.

How big is this window sill to hold 20 tiles or are they small tiles? a standard 150 tile would mean that this sill is about 3 metres long...or are they mosaic tiles on a "Hessian" type backing?

Have you sought other quotes to do the work?

£500 for removing 20 tiles and replacing them does sound a bit steep to me.

How big is this window sill to hold 20 tiles or are they small tiles? a standard 150 tile would mean that this sill is about 3 metres long...or are they mosaic tiles on a "Hessian" type backing?

The tiles are 8"x 8" and they include the riser, revels, as well as the top, the sill is only about 6' long.

It's not up to me to get a quote, he was the one that all of the sudden decided to counterclaim, if there was anything wrong I would have gone back and done it myself.

My question is about the padded out quote he got a local company to supply, is this not some sort of fraud?

can you get someone else to get a written quote )or email) for a "similar" job?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Please don't get me wrong but folk on here can only go by what they read.

Personally I think the figure is excessive.

However, please bear in mind that you are up against the legal system and the other side here. A judge may well want to see what others would quote to rectify the poor installation.

While you might say that the quote/counterclaim is excessive, it is best to be able to demonstrate this to the court. The way to do that is to get other written quotes in fro reputable companies. A reputable company will give you a quote for the work FOC.

He seems to have admitted that some work he did was faulty but it is the cost of this faulty work which is the issue.

If it were me I would be looking at demonstrating that the figure he has quoted is excessive and presenting the results to the court.

Maybe I have missed something and this is of course IMHO.